The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Servicing and repairs for Duetto

+2
Achilles heel
lavdazim
6 posters

Go down

Servicing and repairs for Duetto Empty Servicing and repairs for Duetto

Post by lavdazim Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm

It's my first campervan and I didn't get the chance to check it when I bought it recently. Also, although I got a manual from a very kind forum member, there isn't much troubleshooting advice in it.
The fridge only works on mains, there are problems with the water system (heater, toilet) and the 12V circuit as well.
Does anybody know places or people in or around Edinburgh or London who could be bothered to fix old vans like this? I was already let down by two people, who didn't want to get involved in sorting things out.

I would be very grateful for any suggestion.

Best regards,
Laurentiu
lavdazim
lavdazim

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Servicing and repairs for Duetto Empty Re: Servicing and repairs for Duetto

Post by Achilles heel Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:45 am

We found a mobile caravan repairer for a few issues we've had with our water heater, and fridge. He's in Gloucester, but hopefully you can find someone near you.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:51 am

Think I would do as Achilles Heels suggests and do an internet search for Mobile Caravan/Motorhome Service people. Will save you running about asking dealers/repair shops
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by lavdazim Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am

Thank you very much for your prompt replies, you're amazing people! I should be more active on this forum once I get going, as may experience (read below), may prove to be useful to other newcomers in the future.
Special thanks to you, Ron. I was meant to call you to ask you for advice, but then I realized I had too may issues and I was ashamed of my incompetence. Reading the manual and starting to look into things myself (out of necessity), I started to understand "her" better, if I may call it her, like people do with ships.
I'm stuck in Edinburgh for two months now (since I bought it from the Hghlands - not a good idea to start with, because of rust issues, although it's been thoroughly welded a few years ago) and I obviously googled for caravan servicing places, but they were either called " Luxury caravans" (which has put me off), or said they were fully booked till September.
I found a great low profile mechanic which solved my engine (not major) problems, and I was looking for someone alike for the habitation issues.
The guy who looked at it initially (in a proper caravan repair centre) did a very superficial job. He told me the pump is too powerful (and when i looked at it later it read 16PSI - Shureflo, so that caused my doubts about his assessment), that the fridge burner and the water heater are corroded and the latter obsolete and the toilet mechanism seized. I wonder if he actually looked at them, or just diagnosed them by the age of the van.
Anyway, sorry for the boring and rather depressing confession, I should be able to fix it eventually, even if I was to buy new (second hand) working fridge and water heater. I will be driving it down to London sometime in August, that's why I was looking for places in Edinburgh and/or London. Unless Gloucestershire is on the way :)
Thanks a lot, once again,
Laurentiu
lavdazim
lavdazim

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm

lavdazim wrote:The guy who looked at it initially (in a proper caravan repair centre) did a very superficial job. He told me the pump is too powerful (and when i looked at it later it read 16PSI - Shureflo, so that caused my doubts about his assessment), that the fridge burner and the water heater are corroded and the latter obsolete and the toilet mechanism seized. 
I used to own a Duetto and the original pump fitted was a Shurflo 20psi. I know because i had to replace mine and this is where i bought from; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

I highly recommend the guy as his prices are very competitive, plus he's a wealth of useful information!

As others have said regards your various issues, a local mobile motorhome/caravan repairer is the way to go. Fridges often don't work on gas because previous owners have used it on 240v all the time so the jets get dirty. When i first bought my van it wouldn't ignite on gas but a mobile guy soon had it sorted.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:11 pm

A 24 year old motorhome is going to have problems, unless very carefully loved by previous owners. There are some about. A 24 year old Transit however is a big risk. I've just moved on from one half it's age and it cost me a small fortune.
I suspect the heater referred to is a Carver, which is obsolete but Arc Electrics keep them going. The fridge probably works on 12V too but you'll only know that for sure after a longish trip. The fridge gas issue is probably just spider webs in the jet. Presumably the water for the toilet comes from the fresh water tank and uses the same pump as the taps. It could be the pump is u/s, it could just need a tap, or a fuse might've blown. Any good mobile caravan tech can sort such issues. Check out nearby people in the Approved Workshop Scheme.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:17 pm

Also get a trusted garage to look over the base vehicle. I had to have a full brake rebuild, a new rear exhaust, several suspension joints renewed, new rear springs when one snapped, a new cab aircon condenser, a new vehicle battery, replacement windscreen washer pump etc, etc.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BagginsandtheBear Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Regarding Thetford toilet fitted to your van:  It's worth prising out the toilet paper holder and underneath you will find a submersible pump. A single screw holds it in place. Check that it's not silted up with algae from standing water. If it spins freely when manually turned check the fuse - it's a bu***r to get at deep inside toilet cassette compartment with cassette removed of course. My problem turned out to be the switch mechanism had failed so I simply rerouted power via a separate push button.
BagginsandtheBear
BagginsandtheBear

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto LE
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by lavdazim Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:27 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid my toilet is different though (C3), as it doesn't have a water tank. It is flashed from the main tank by the central pump.
lavdazim
lavdazim

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:10 am

What exactly is the issue with your toilet? It sounds as though its the same model as ours; the flushing water is powered by the van water pump.

The flap is opened, and the pump operated, by the wheel/switch thing next to the loo seat. There's very little to go wrong.

Our van had sat for a few months over the winter, as it was having major bodywork done. We found that the flap was stiff to open when we first got it back, presumably from dis-use.

The wheel/switch next to the loo simply turns the yellow knob on the cassette to open the flap, and a press switches on the pump. 

I suggest you take the cassette out; remove the sliding cover that slides across automatically when the cassette goes back in the van. Then try turning the yellow knob; the flap should open. If it doesn't open easily, there may be deposits round the seal that you can clean off (rubber gloves might be a good idea!) and then lubricate the flap with olive oil. 

And all should then be well.....
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:32 am

Yes, rereading that early post I'm uncertain what is meant by seized toilet mechanism. If it's the shutter mechanism that should be a relatively easy fix. As AH says the cassette needs removing from the van and twisting the yellow knob should open the shutter, once the sliding flap is removed. At worst, a new cassette can be purchased either online or from any good caravan/motorhome shop. Be aware that if the shutter opening handle on the toilet is in the open position, it won't let the cassette be removed, or conversely it won't let you put the cassette back in properly. The handle has to be in the closed position to remove or replace the cassette in its space. That way the opening mechanism links up and all should work.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lavdazim Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks a lot to both of you for your replies. I have already ordered a new cassette (as the old one didn't look good, to say the least). If the wheel/switch next to the toilet seat is only a mechanical device for turning the yellow knob, then the problem will be solved. The flushing may be another issue :)
lavdazim
lavdazim

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:59 am

Does the toilet flush? If not, is the flush fed from a tank built into the toilet, or does it use water from the van's fresh tank? If it's the latter, do you get water through the sink and basin taps? If the former, is the toilet water tank full? When you operate the flush button can you hear a pump operating?
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down