The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone help me shower!

+20
babian
PMC
HJA
dotsontour
groundhog
Dynamic
Bulletguy
Richard75
kaspian
Cymro
rgermain
Doingitforthedawgs
Paulmold
Paramedic
nuevoboy
Gromit
Quilter
burlingtonboaby
IanH
Sally
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Can anyone help me shower! - Page 3 Empty Re: Can anyone help me shower!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am

there should be some sort of trap below each water outlet (of varying design/complexity) to stop odours or water backing up when it certainly shouldnt.
a couple of tips from our showering experience...we dont use one of those on/off things or a trigger shower...we seem to manage fine without (i can't be holding a shower head when i wash, i use two hands...) 
...however one of these covers from Lakeland over each shower drain will keep it clear....they fit our drains just right
we also 'discovered' the Ecocamel shower head a few years ago and these give a proper shower yet use less water.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 pm

bolero boy wrote:there should be some sort of trap below each water outlet (of varying design/complexity) to stop odours or water backing up when it certainly shouldnt.
a couple of tips from our showering experience...we dont use one of those on/off things or a trigger shower...we seem to manage fine without (i can't be holding a shower head when i wash, i use two hands...)
Well, Chris - you may feel that they should have traps but A/S did not fit them - My Hymer had some small traps which were integral to the waste fittings but my A/S didn't and I have never been able to find the ones that Hymer fitted (and presumably also used by Carthago's).  You will also find that the way in which your waste tank is fitted allows the inlets to come in from the top.  Sadly A/S fit their wsate tanks tight to the floor above with the consequence that the inlets are on the side near the top.  I discovered early on that with a modicum of water in the waste tank some would enter the shower tray on left hand corners (centrifugal force).  So - two issues partially solved by Marquis under warranty - non return valves on the shower wastes - excellent - and CAK traps on the two sink wastes - not as effective as they restricted flow too much.  I tidied up Marquis' repair and have settled on emptying the waste tank before it smells, which is a more hygeinic option anyway.

Just for interest, Chris, Have you owned an Auto-Sleeper in the past and. if so, was it free from all the faults that you raise about them? Just curious scratch head

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Kemerton-bath likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm

As the original poster, I can comment that:

a) I did fit one of the levers and I do find it easier to switch on/off and keep the heat settings constant.  It was easy to do, even for someone as diy challenged as me.
b) I don’t have plugs in the shower tray and I’ve never noticed smells from the waste tank.  However, I do tend to drain it direct into a container which I empty every few days, so that might help those who suffer from odours!!!

I’ve noticed the eco camel shower head mentioned a few times now.  Can anyone confirm whether or not these work with the normal autosleeper set up, and more importantly, do they actually use less water.  If so, it may be useful during the current climate of no facilities.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by CroftBadger Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:16 pm

There's plenty on Amazon Sue - 'just search for a trigger shower head'. Personally I am thinking of the type of tap that Gromit has fitted (above) purely because you can use both hands in the shower which you can't with a trigger head!  allthumbz

Addendum: sorry, I think I was late to the party with this response - 2 pages to be exact! hugegrins
CroftBadger
CroftBadger

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:59 pm

CroftBadger wrote:.....  you can use both hands in the shower which you can't with a trigger head!  allthumbz
 Oh yes you can!  You can squeeze the trigger and lock it open, and put the shower head in the bracket (which can slide up and down on the rail). Then hands free, with shower head at hair height.

I happen to have both a trigger shower head, and the Gromit valve. Works very well indeed. Not that I need both hands to search for any hair on my head, let alone to wash it!. But Mrs C has a wonderful head of (lockdown-enhanced) hair, so her showers take a long time, and much water!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:05 pm

Sally wrote:
I’ve noticed the eco camel shower head mentioned a few times now.  Can anyone confirm whether or not these work with the normal autosleeper set up, and more importantly, do they actually use less water.  If so, it may be useful during the current climate of no facilities.

We’ve used an Ecocamel head for several years and feel it adds both to the showering experience and to managing fresh water. I can’t quantify the water saving but by adding air into the water stream it feels more of a refreshing shower without emptying the fresh water tank. It replaces the existing shower head and still sits in the holder of the riser rail. 

If you do change your shower head be aware that there will most likely be an o-ring in the fitting at the shower head end of the hose. It’s easy for it to fall out and not realise it was there, until you turn the shower on and find it leaking between the hose and shower head. An easy modification to make and worth keeping the original head to refit it when you come to change the van.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CroftBadger Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:22 pm

Cymro wrote:
CroftBadger wrote:.....  you can use both hands in the shower which you can't with a trigger head!  allthumbz
 Oh yes you can!  You can squeeze the trigger and lock it open, and put the shower head in the bracket (which can slide up and down on the rail). Then hands free, with shower head at hair height.

I happen to have both a trigger shower head, and the Gromit valve. Works very well indeed. Not that I need both hands to search for any hair on my head, let alone to wash it!. But Mrs C has a wonderful head of (lockdown-enhanced) hair, so her showers take a long time, and much water!

Cymro
Oh, right! Thanks for putting me right Cymro. I didn't realise they locked. Love the 'Gromit valve' description too!  hugegrins
CroftBadger
CroftBadger

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:40 pm

Mine is similar to this one (indeed, it may be this one that I bought). As you'll see, it says "....Trigger controlled shower head and constant water flow."

You depress the handle for water flow, then slide the handle upwards toward the top of the head to lock it in place. Works fine.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:31 am

Thanks Gromit for your help. On off valve fitted in seconds to outlet from shower mixer tap, can now set water temperature via tap and just use  the valve to control water usage. 
On .....Off, good mod.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3