The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shower walls

+5
Paulmold
Tinwheeler
jetty
Paramedic
Dbvwt
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shower walls Empty Shower walls

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:43 pm

We are newbies to the world of MH so I apologise in advance if this has been covered before but I cant find anything in the search section.
I have noticed that the walls of the wet room are clad in what looks like fibre board (which I assume is water proof). The shower curtain only seems to cover part of the room. The board also goes down behind the plastic wheel arch cover. 
The questions are should we protect the walls from water coming from the shower and is there are problem with water getting behind the plastic wheel arch plastic cover?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Shower walls Empty Re: Shower walls

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi fellow newbie, I don’t pick my Symbol up for another couple of weeks but in the meantime I’ve been on here looking at all sorts of info.
Like you I’m new to Motorhomes, although I’ve had campervans and a caravan.
Anyway, back to your question. Funnily enough I was only wondering exactly the same yesterday as I seem to recall the curtain/rail covered the door plus the wall opposite the toilet but the wall panels were different. One smooth and another dimpled?
Just type shower into the main search box and a fair bit of info comes up which should answer your question.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Thsnks
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi Pnefan, rest assured your shower walls are indeed waterproof. My understanding is your curtain arrangement is meant to go someway to keep (at least) the toilet seat dry for your comfort even if the spray is not completely isolated from other surfaces. As for the wheel arch, I assume there is sufficient sealant applied between that and the shower wall? Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Not wanting to question your undoubted knowledge Paramedic but why does the shower rail cover the door and wall opposite the toilet if it is meant to keep the toilet dry?
I’m a reasonably practical sort of guy and must admit covering the door and toilet makes more sense!!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jetty Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Don't pearce(on) the walls. If you need adhesive,  try super TC  glue. Watch for your max (well) weight.Hope your upholstery is browne, and the kitchen is more than a gally. Don't take  your cat if it moults.

Apologies to all except pnefan who I might bump into in the TFS.

Last edited by jetty on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Our shower curtain covers the door and wall opposite the toilet. The shower itself is mounted in the corner above and to one side of the toilet so there's no way the toilet can be kept dry.

Looking at the way the sealant is breaking away between the toilet bench and walls, I don’t have much faith in the waterproofing. 

I was surprised to find there is no plastic shower liner as fitted to the coachbuilts. We don’t use the shower so it won’t be a problem for us.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Sorry jetty, as a newbie.....what??
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jetty Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Apologies again. The clue is in "pnefan".
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Tinwheeler, your arrangement in the wet room seems to be the norm for recent PVC’s.
Shame it’s not lined out a bit better, I’m likely to be using the shower quite a bit so better start googling ‘industrial sealants!’
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Sorry jetty, as a newbie.....what??

It's all a play on the names of players of Preston North End football club.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 pm

In all my vans, I have put in an extra shower curtain to cover the toilet and exposed walls not covered by the curtain, this works well,

in the Amethyst I have hooks near to the ceiling and the extra curtain just hooks on to these, easy to take off and store when not needed, this also keeps the sink and mirror dry, the shower can be reached in the corner and pulled in the gap between the two curtains, this way everything is kept dry and no drying off after having a shower,also towels can be left on the toilet seat, ready for use and kept dry.

In the Clubman I did put in an extra rail to take another curtain, bought from AS to match the original one.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Tinwheeler, your arrangement in the wet room seems to be the norm for recent PVC’s.
Shame it’s not lined out a bit better, I’m likely to be using the shower quite a bit so better start googling ‘industrial sealants!’

That sounds wise, Dbvwt. It strikes me as a penny pinching exercise to not line the shower room 'properly'. We use site facilities for showering so are unlikely to suffer from a rotten washroom.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Right, as a newbie this thread has been great. I now know pretty much how to keep my walls dry, my toilet dry and I guess all the water goes into the shower tray.

Next question.....how do I keep my feet dry if I need a poo and sit on the toilet soon after the shower?? 
Apologies for the rather unsavoury language.

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Buy rubber grid-type matting such as used around swimming pools.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Not wanting to question your undoubted knowledge Paramedic but why does the shower rail cover the door and wall opposite the toilet if it is meant to keep the toilet dry?
I’m a reasonably practical sort of guy and must admit covering the door and toilet makes more sense!!
Erm, I stand being corrected if my assumption is wrong and perhaps the OP mentioning "wet room" is my misunderstanding of the question. So wet room means every surface gets wet from the shower spray? Can understand the door being isolated by the curtain so as to prevent water running down it to the outside. So why the wall opposite the toilet needs the curtain protection, I surely don't know. I recall our first coach build had the curtain that purposefully protected all areas of the bathroom away from the shower that to my mind made sense.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 pm

It did baffle me why the wall opposite the toilet needed to be covered by the curtain?
As I mentioned (and commented on by the threads I have been reading on here) the 2 walls have different textures on them.
Surely best practice would be to waterproof both walls instead of extending the curtain??
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:Our shower curtain covers the door and wall opposite the toilet. The shower itself is mounted in the corner above and to one side of the toilet so there's no way the toilet can be kept dry.

Looking at the way the sealant is breaking away between the toilet bench and walls, I don’t have much faith in the waterproofing. 

I was surprised to find there is no plastic shower liner as fitted to the coachbuilts. We don’t use the shower so it won’t be a problem for us.

We have the same problem with the sealant breaking away, it has been resealed three times, once by myself using sikaflex left over from when I stuck the S/P on the roof and second time by dealer, then last month when they removed the toilet as we were getting water on the floor outside the shower area. Alas it still comes away!

Van going back next week for repair to wall panel which the dealer damaged when they removed the toilet. So will ask again if any sealant is ever going to stick.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:07 pm

rgermain wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:Our shower curtain covers the door and wall opposite the toilet. The shower itself is mounted in the corner above and to one side of the toilet so there's no way the toilet can be kept dry.

We have the same problem with the sealant breaking away, it has been resealed three times, once by myself using sikaflex left over from when I stuck the S/P on the roof and second time by dealer, then last month when they removed the toilet as we were getting water on the floor outside the shower area. Alas it still comes away!

Van going back next week for repair to wall panel which the dealer damaged when they removed the toilet. So will ask again if any sealant is ever going to stick.
-----------
Richard

Our feeling is that nothing on earth will make a good permanent seal because the wooden walls flex as the van bumps over potholes and the plastic bench probably flexes as well. so_sad

I’ll be interested to hear if your dealer has a solution though.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Looking forward to picking up my first Motorhome in a couple of weeks but the forum seems to be full of problems and more problems!!

I know it’s the nature of forums to highlight problems but feeling a bit dejected ha ha!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Dbvwt wrote:It did baffle me why the wall opposite the toilet needed to be covered by the curtain?
As I mentioned (and commented on by the threads I have been reading on here) the 2 walls have different textures on them.
Surely best practice would be to waterproof both walls instead of extending the curtain??

I wonder if it’s a case of shower curtains being produced in a certain width, perhaps 5ft, so to accommodate it the track needs to run around the wall as well as the door. shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Looking forward to picking up my first Motorhome in a couple of weeks but the forum seems to be full of problems and more problems!!

I know it’s the nature of forums to highlight problems but feeling a bit dejected ha ha!

Don’t be. There’ll probably be teething niggles but you’ll be fine. Enjoy it.up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:36 pm

I’m sure I will Tinwheeler, thanks, I can’t wait.

Think I may stop reading about the problems till I pick up my Symbol!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:48 pm

No - you're wrong there.

Make a note of as many faults and problems as you can find on the forums . . . then just think of the pleasure to be gained in ticking off the ones you don't have.  Whistle1  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks for your replies. I have decided like Daisie May I will be rigging up some hooks for a second shower curtain to completely enclose the wet room. I too don't trust a join were sealant has been applied. We have no intention of using the shower other than in emegercies. I think we will be playing it better safe than sorry though especially as our DD has already booked sometime away in it with her OH and the granddaughter!!!! Who will more than likely want a shower in there.
Dear Jetty,
Thanks for your cryptic clues and explanation later on for everyone. I got your meaning but several others must have thought you were O'Reilly Bark(er)ing which didn't Bodin well for your sanity resulting in you being Led(son) away by men in white shirts bearing white lambs. COYW P.S. the family do haunt the TFS
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next