The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D.I.Y. Towbar Fitting Symbol Plus 2019

5 posters

Go down

D.I.Y. Towbar Fitting Symbol Plus 2019 Empty D.I.Y. Towbar Fitting Symbol Plus 2019

Post by mrfixit4u Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Thinking of fitting a towbar on my AS Symbol Plus with a view to mounting a clamp on type cycle carrier instead of a door mounted version.

Having had a quick look underneath I notice that the gas delivery line runs along the rear chassis channel. Those that have fitted one themselves - did you have to move / manufacture this section of gas line to avoid fouling of the T. Bar cross member?

I will use a pre wired electrics kit to avoid any problems with Peugeot warranties. The nearside access to the lighting cluster looks reasonable via the two holes pre drilled by A.S. As for the offside, hmmmnn some words might be uttered during that part of the install!
mrfixit4u
mrfixit4u

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

D.I.Y. Towbar Fitting Symbol Plus 2019 Empty Re: D.I.Y. Towbar Fitting Symbol Plus 2019

Post by Dbvwt Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Can’t answer your question but welcome, not many of us in this patch of the woods.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

D.I.Y. Towbar Fitting Symbol Plus 2019 Empty Re: D.I.Y. Towbar Fitting Symbol Plus 2019

Post by Toffee Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:22 pm

I was told euro 6 vehicles, which I suspect yours is are not a diy option and need a laptop to make the electrical side work, would be interested to find out if this is correct.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfixit4u Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:27 am

Thanks for the replies. 

Looking at some of the T Bar suppliers they state that coding is not required if using their pre wired lighting  looms. I had to have coding carried out on my Skoda Yeti because of the reversing sensors. If I go ahead and DIY I will document with pictures and put them on the groups KB.
mrfixit4u
mrfixit4u

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:03 am

Pity you are not a but closer as I have an almost new bar sitting for sale and could have helped with fitting !  . I have over the years used both dedicated wiring looms and bypass relays and to be honest although you would think plug ended is better in reality it takes the same time wise. The hassle is getting access to run wires and access rear light clusters  etc . Often even dedicated kits still make you tap into the twisted pair canbus wiring normally at dashboard area so a lot of interior fittings disturbed to gain access to run wires. 
        Some modern vehicles do integrate the towbar electrics with vehicle running parameters ie dsg gearboxes may shift differently to account for exra load and steering and brakes too may be altered slightly and of course parking sensors disabled when a trailer connected. 
       Manufacturers have gone backwards from the days of Vauxhall Cavaliers that had a multi pin plug in boot that when connected to towbar electrics took 30 seconds and wiring complete or Citroens that had 1 hidden fuse to install  in engine bay and that energised towbar wiring in boot- simples ! Sargent have a fuse marked towing in their fuse panel and I have yet to, trace this wiring as it might appear at the back light clusters avoiding the need for a permanent fused supply to be run normally under the van saving a bit of time to power a bypass relay .
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Weymouth John Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 pm

If it's any help, I've had a towbar professionally fitted on my 2019 Symbol. The wiring runs right forward to the drivers side footwell where the power comes from a piggy-back fuse.
Good luck
John
Weymouth John
Weymouth John

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol-Plus

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfixit4u Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks for the info. Cheers n beers.
mrfixit4u
mrfixit4u

Male

Back to top Go down