The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WARWICK XL bed box new rear access door

+6
modelman
babian
rgermain
burlingtonboaby
RogerThat
kaspian
10 posters

Go down

WARWICK XL bed box new rear  access door Empty WARWICK XL bed box new rear access door

Post by kaspian Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Braved constant hail and snow showers today  to modify the rear panels of the bed boxes to allow access from the rear of the van without having to move cushions etc  to lift the seat  I ordered some piano hinge= 1 meter length  in brown - 32mm overall width when open. Also some push button motorhome catches in silver to match the van . all from Amazon.. The bed box end panels are not  load bearing and are held by 6 screws to the bed /sofa tubular frame. 
      First job was to run a pencil down the inside edge of the panel where it meets the bed box inner  vertical  metal support as this is where the cut is done. This allows the remaining part to be re -fixed to the frame and support the hinge area later reusing the existing holes. 
      Next remove the end panel by releasing the 6 screws holding it to the metal frame. Next cut vertically down the pre marked line and seal using a bit of varnish or iron on edging. Measure  and cut piano hinge to suit vertical edge height  and fix using 3mm x 16mm screws to door  flap and stationary part. 
        Refix unit as one using the 2 pre existing holes in the panel .  A small modesty block could be fixed at the internal bottom corner between floor and ply panel   - this was not needed on mine as was a secure fit.   Next mark position of push button bezel and in my case drill a 20mm hole with a hole saw  . Partially drilling from both sides avoids breakout of ply and gives a neat finish.  Take account of the striker latch that gets fixed to the metal frame using self tappers supplied  so the door can latch against when shut. After checking ( twice!) cut all holes and mound catch and striker plate.  A couple of pieces of single sided sticky foam pad to cushion door on closing and disguise holes left from previous fixing  and job done!  Access large enough to remove Fiamma ramps etc so ideal for quick access to common items when arriving on site etc 
      All done in under 2 hours including dodging several hail/snow showers only begs the question ......WHY DID A/S NOT DO THIS FROM NEW!

Last edited by kaspian on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

WARWICK XL bed box new rear  access door Empty PART 2

Post by kaspian Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Extra photos as file too big for one upload. Total cost of project around £ 11.  close up of catches and hinge used in 2nd photo.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]nd £11   up!

Last edited by kaspian on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

WARWICK XL bed box new rear  access door Empty Re: WARWICK XL bed box new rear access door

Post by RogerThat Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Great mod!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

WARWICK XL bed box new rear  access door Empty Re: WARWICK XL bed box new rear access door

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:07 pm

We can swing by Burns country on the way up to Mull in May to have your mod done Kaspian .
Boaby.     hugegrins
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Good idea. I only have one access on the nearside, the cover is in the house loft along with the large table and rear door draft strip.
I took this course as I only see under the bed when the rear door is open, just another thing I have turned a blind eye too.

Anyway looks good, so may do the mod myself when the weather is warmer smile!
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:30 am

hi, neat job and good idea.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:08 am

Nice job, good to see other peoples ideas/mods to make improvements, & sometimes these mods can be adapted to other models.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:50 pm

We did the same thing a few years ago but just attached the end panels with vecro as all the area was needed to remove out cadac from the rear. Nicely done. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by SallyB Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:54 am

Looks a neat job. up!
On mine I removed the screws fixing rear end covers from both sides and then used high strength magnets to hold them in place.
I also found a lot of useful space can be gained under the offside bed simply by re arranging the battery and cabling. This allowed the fitting of an additional battery as well as space for the ramps and a tool case.
My tyre inflator and pressure gauge sit behind the Sargent unit cupboard and the back portion (where the cabling runs) holds fold up bags and the bike tool kit.
Care needs to be taken here because the cables are not encased.
Keeps all the mucky stuff in one place.
SallyB
SallyB
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Sorry all,   I should have said that this mod could also be applied to the Warwick duo and Fairford too perhaps. Thing is for only one straight  cut per side it is really simple to do and looks factory fit. I had toyed with cantilever /270 degree/ etc hinges and in the end the piano hinge was cheap, strong and  simple plus it did the job without special tools. I should have added that a couple of touch lights under the bed box allows you to locate that missing item easily!
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am

Very neat job kaspian. Like Sally B I modified mine using magnetic catch which with the whole panel removed gives very good access. The advantage of your method is that the door doesn’t have to be removed and set aside.
It’s a pity AS have never addressed this simple idea as It makes a big difference to the use of under bed locker space,especially giving access to dirtier items without going via the inside and lifting beds.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by kts68 Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:24 am

I did exactly the same to my new Warwick XL - essential modification in my view.  It really should be factory standard.

I also fitted a tow bar and Pro Step to aid access and to provide an occasional bench seat for al fresco dining!!

WARWICK XL bed box new rear  access door Img_1410
kts68
kts68

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down