The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL Rear Barn Door Window Replacement

5 posters

Go down

Warwick XL Rear Barn Door Window Replacement Empty Warwick XL Rear Barn Door Window Replacement

Post by little_scrote Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:39 pm

After an unfortunate bicycle handlebar/window interface moment over a particularly vicious speedhump, I require a new rear window. We have the fixed single glazed bonded units that come as stanadard with a "window van" build with a factory 'cut out' with pressed lip measuring roughly 58x58cm, but before this incident happened we were considering changing to some kind of opening windows in the rear doors.

Has anyone done this or similar and has some advice please?

I am looking at either adapting a Carbest style:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or the Polyplastic version which has the benefit of double glazing

both of which are designed to be applied to full doors that have to have an appropriate smaller cut-out made, which means my opening is already too big.

But my favoured approach is a bonded sliding glass one:

Is removing a broken bonded one and replacing at home a realistic proposition?
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Rear Barn Door Window Replacement Empty Re: Warwick XL Rear Barn Door Window Replacement

Post by FreelanderUK Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:07 am

It is something I would try to do myself, just make sure all the old bonding material is thoroughly removed and it’s spotlessly cleaned ( both the glass replacement and the door, position strong sticky tape to secure the glass in place once you have positioned it

Male

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Rear Barn Door Window Replacement Empty Re: Warwick XL Rear Barn Door Window Replacement

Post by little_scrote Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:28 pm

Cheers Chris. I am going to have a go. Have ordered this opening bonded one:

Any suggestions on what tool to use to cut the old one out and how to remove old adhesive? i guess there are plenty of videos on The YouTube.
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 pm

I think you can get a cheese wire tool specifically for getting out bonded windows, but how you clean up what is left I’m not sure.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:07 am

You can buy removal kits on eBay and on Amazon, use a sharpened plastic scrapper to remove most of the cured adhesive from around the frame or one of the bladed tools you can buy, you don’t need too remove it all as long as it fairly flat, use a good caulking gun to get a good bead of adhesive applied

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by little_scrote Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:57 am

Thanks both. I'll do a bit more research as it's vital to get it bonded in well.
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:15 pm

You might want to bear in mind the experiences of many on here regarding poor drainage of rain water from the side sliding windows, particularly if caused by excess silicon blocking the drain tube when bonding the window unit.

Worth checking how the window you’re going to use sheds water from the lower channel of the sliding section.

Looks an interesting mod, let us know how you get on.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by little_scrote Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am

Oh good call Tim. I hadn't considered that. I hadn't realised that there was a drain tube and that water got in to the sliders. I assumed that when they're closed, they're sealed - is that not the case for the side windows? I'll have to do a bit of research on that.
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:36 am

little_scrote wrote:Oh good call Tim. I hadn't considered that. I hadn't realised that there was a drain tube and that water got in to the sliders. I assumed that when they're closed, they're sealed - is that not the case for the side windows? I'll have to do a bit of research on that.
Have a look in this section as there are a few posts about clearing the drain channel, when the windows are installed and a little care was taken with the adhesive there wouldn’t be any problems as you know know about it it makes installing the window and drain  clear

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by little_scrote Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:29 pm

Thanks again for the heads up Tim, and thanks Chris for the help too.

This thread details the side window issues well, hopefully the rear window will come with a drain that I can install correctly and not have nay problems in the future:

little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:37 pm

@little_scrote could I ask how you got on with installing these windows?

Considering it myself. 

Cheers, David
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by little_scrote Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:59 pm

Dsajones wrote:@little_scrote could I ask how you got on with installing these windows?

Considering it myself. 

Cheers, David
Hi David,

Yes, I got one installed with no problems. Quite pleased with it. Gives you a bit more breathing breeze at night. I had to modify the blind surround to make space for the handle, but otherwise very straightforward.
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:18 pm

That's good to hear 🙂
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by billyc Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:29 pm

Sounds like a great mod for my (or any) warwick xl.
I couldn't find anything similar on the Web when I looked some time ago, so thanks for posting here. 
I have a couple of queries if you don't mind me asking :
1. Does the window tint match the factory original?
2.how much plastic trim did you need to remove for the handle - could I get a smart finished look? 
Thanks.
billyc
billyc

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by little_scrote Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:29 pm

Yes, tint matches factory.

I'll get a picture of the surround. You wouldn't notice it unless you're looking, and you could do something a bit neater or at least more shapely than I've done.
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by billyc Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:50 pm

A photo would be excellent thanks.
billyc
billyc

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by little_scrote Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:32 pm

It would look a lot better with the other side done to match. And with hindsight I would have put the one meant for the right on the left and vice versa.
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by billyc Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:51 pm

Many thanks
billyc
billyc

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:43 pm

Interesting, I've never seen one fitted before.

Have you suffered any water ingress, in the way that the side sliding window sills often fail to drain correctly?

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by little_scrote Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:16 am

Kemerton-bath wrote:Interesting, I've never seen one fitted before.

Have you suffered any water ingress, in the way that the side sliding window sills often fail to drain correctly?

Tim

No, because there are the proper drain channels in the bottom of the rail and I made sure when fitting it to leave a gap in the sealant for them (unlike when AS fit them  confused3)
little_scrote
little_scrote

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:34 pm

Excellent!

Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down