The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quiet clean sites close to Bilbao

2 posters

Go down

Quiet clean sites close to Bilbao Empty Quiet clean sites close to Bilbao

Post by purdyhorse Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:48 am

Would appreciate details of any quiet sites with clean facilities within a 2 hour drive of Bilbao ferry port, preferably to the south or east thereof. Am looking for a stopover site prior to catching the ferry back to the UK. Would also like to hear of any quiet, clean sites close to the Spanish Pyrenees. Note to site moderators - if I have placed this post in the wrong section of the forum I apologise and request that you reassign it appropriately. Thank you.
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Quiet clean sites close to Bilbao Empty Re: Quiet clean sites close to Bilbao

Post by Quilter Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:25 pm

This is an unstressed 30 minutes from the port and you pass the turn for it on the way. It’s an aire but fully secure with 16 amp EHU, water and drainage to each pitch and good service areas. Its clean, well kept and quiet. There are toilets but no showers.

What it has, most importantly, is staggering views over Bilbao, from mountains to sea and a regular ( every 20 minutes I think) bus service to the city centre from outside the gates.

Excellent stop pre or post ferry for more than a night.

You can book via email or phone.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Quilter on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Thank you. That's very helpful.
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Depending on time of year ( check winter dates) then Camping de Haro is one of our favourites, along with many others Brits,, for pre-ferry nights.

Its a pleasant well managed site a short walk into the Riojan town of Haro, where, if you like Rioja, you can visit the numerous bodegas and shops selling it. Its an interesting town to visit too with some excellent restaurants.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:57 pm

Thank you. Your response activated my declining memory cells and I recalled that we stayed on this site some years ago! I concur with your description of it and it could well meet our needs. My only untoward experience there was the arrival on our first afternoon of masses of small black flying midge types that engulfed our vehicle, but this discomfort was quickly remedied by moving to a pitch on the other side of the site. We went on to stay for several nights, enjoyed some excellent local cuisine and brought home several cases of Rioja from the virtually adjacent vineyard .
Thanks again for reminding me!
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Just looked at my photos - we were there 7 years ago - the vineyard was Bodegas Bilbainas. Would attach photos for you but not sure how to do so on this forum.
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 pm

When we are there we always try to eat at Restaurante Terete. Their speciality is shoulder of lamb, slow cooked in a wood oven.  They do, for a very substantial starter, their own menestra de verduras which is sensational. It translates as vegetable stew but that no-where near describes how gorgeous it is !

We had a tour of the Muga bodega while there but, apart from buying boxed sets for house-minding neighbours, bought what we like from the local supermarkets, on the outskirts of the town.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Have noted the restaurant and look forward to visiting. The restaurant I particularly recall, though its name escapes me, was a tiny, homely place set back on the right as we walked up the obvious street into the town. The menu was indecipherable to my albeit modest knowledge of Spanish but we ended up with a delicious meal of unrecognised content - think there might have been artichoke somewhere in it but not certain.
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down