The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL Front wheel vibration

+9
peugeotboxer
Paulmold
Kdc
glyne lock
babian
Cymro
rgermain
AutoSleepy_Don
David Facey
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Warwick XL Front wheel vibration Empty Warwick XL Front wheel vibration

Post by David Facey Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:16 pm

We bought our 2019 model Warwick XL at the beginning of June, prior to which we had a Devon Firebrand, which we part exchanged for the Warwick.
When I first drove the Warwick, I felt a bad vibration from the front wheels, it just did not feel right, to me it felt as though one of the C/V joints had a problem.I'd had a C/V joint go on a Vito 108 conversion that I had previously owned and it felt the same!
 I had my mechanic, an RAC man.and the owner of a local tyre dealership, test drive the van ,and they all agreed there was a problem.
 I went back to the Motorhome dealer whose sales manager felt that the drive was the same as on all the other Peugeot conversions he had driven, his local Peugeot garage agreed with him.
 So not happy, I took the van to another Peugeot dealer who recognised the problem. The tyres were Continental Conti Van Contact 100  215/75R16  116/114R.
Believing the tyres were the problem I then had a new set of Roadstone tyres fitted, the vibration was the same.Peugeot then supplied a new set of wheel hubs, and I  paid for new tyres, Nexen Roadian CT8, with no change to the vibrations.
 The motorhome group are involved, Peugeot have supplied and had fitted new drive shafts, and the vibrations are still there, I have tested another Warwick XL with 10,000 miles on the clock, and that has vibrations as well.
Our problem is, do we accept that all XL's have a vibration problem and shut up. We like the layout and the quality of the Warwick and don't really want to exchange for another van conversion.   

So, do all the other Warwick XL conversions out there have vibration problems too, or do we just have a bad one?
David Facey
David Facey

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Front wheel vibration Empty Re: Warwick XL Front wheel vibration

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:37 pm

David Facey wrote:
 So, do all the other Warwick XL conversions out there have vibration problems too, or do we just have a bad one?
You also say other Warwick XLs you drive also have a vibration problem so are you saying all XLWB Boxer Van conversions have a vibration problem? or all Boxers, or just Warwick XLs.

PS I have never thought my Warwick Duo (based on a LWB boxer) has any vibration.

I think you will need a formal report from an independent engineer to back this up if you are planning on rejecting the van.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:48 pm

Mine has 17k on the clock from new and I have never felt any vibrations from the drive, plenty of vibrations/rattles etc from the conversion stuff behind me hugegrins

Although mine is a Duo, I would think the drive train is the same, but I could be mistaken.

A bit late now, but could you not have refused it as not fit?
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:09 pm

David: I think you'd have difficulty in rejecting the vehicle because (a) 6 months have elapsed, albeit that you first reported the issue upon collection; and (b) there would seem to be differing views between, on the one hand, your dealer and local Peugeot chap (who thought the van was normal) and, on the other hand,  the other peugeot dealer (who agreed with you). There would seem to be exploitable room for doubt.

I once had vibration when a tyre started to delaminate. That was indisputable: the steering wheel juddered and it was like driving on a corrugated surface. Your issue sounds less pronounced. The dealers etc have taken reasonable (if so far unsuccessful) steps free of charge to sort it.  I think that - however frustrating - I'd persist doggedly until they sort it.  And do keep meticulous records.

Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:20 pm

if we are to try and come up with some ideas/answers we need a better discription and detail of your vibration.
is the vibration there through all vehicle speeds, all gears, around left or right bends etc.
as you have pointed out, it has new drive shafts, hubs and new tyre change.
I see you asked about axle weights and tyre pressures on another post, did this help any?
our Warwick xl 2014 drives very well with the conti tyres with no front vibration but I could do with reducing the front pressures a little to "smooth" out front harshness.
saying that having driven all manor of commercial vehicles for a living, you can tell the peogeut " is front wheel drive" if you know what I mean.
if the vibration is speed related then look for loose front body panels, wheel arch liners, under engine panels, windscreen seals/rubbers etc. these can all confuse the issue and sound alarming.
if the second peogeut garage knew the problem ? they look as tho they have covered most or all mechanical problems it could be.
does the vibration get worse up hill under load, down hill off the throttle or coasting in neutral etc?
good luck I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it, great van and Spring just round the corner.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Hi David describe where the vibration is coming from that you are getting ? the steering is it at different speeds is it there all the time. any xl  well have the same chassis so maybe try some more vans se if they are the same . has the axle alignment been check by peugeot that both axles are in line
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:41 pm

sorry just to add, don't take anyone's word as done.
I've had car tyres changed then wheels half fall off 6 miles later because the wheel nuts had NOT been tightened above finger tight.
new tyres fitted and still at " dangerous " high pressure ( too pop beads on) then not corrected to road going pressures.
new tyres fitted and " forgot" to balance sorry?
motorcycle new rear tyre fitted, rode home and bike nearly threw me off, checked pressure....65psi plus ??!!
all separate tyre fitting shops or garages.
also fitted three new complete clutches to an old car years ago, boxed and brand new, every new one " out of balance". parts supplier could not believe it till he sent them off for testing ( because he insisted before he gave me another kit)
have you checked what the front pressures are now?
sorry for the ramble just trying to cover all avenues.
babian
babian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by David Facey Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi
I have sent a 'not fit for' letter to the dealer in August, and we are in friendly negotiations to hopefully resolve our problem.

The Duo is 15". 365mm shorter than the XL, does it have the same size tyres?

I have only tried one other XL, so can't compare , maybe earlier models are okay!

The Peugeot Dealerships are both large garages, I think the difference is in the attitude of the service manager.
The vibrations are at any speed, in all gears,I put the gears into neutral going down a hill at about 50 mph with no change, on silent motorways it is better, but on A roads and roads with a rougher surface, the vibrations are enhanced. After driving for a short while my stomach starts to feel nauseous and occasionally under other conditions the van seems to bounce, it's odd but it is like a lamb bouncing up and down, its really odd!

The tyre pressures on the door pillar are 65 front and 73 rear, I went in the forum web site, entered it the load and tyre details, and the recommendations were 51 front and 59 rear, I changed to this but again no difference !  

Thanks for your comments.

David
David Facey
David Facey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:15 pm

David Facey wrote:
I have sent a 'not fit for' letter to the dealer in August, and we are in friendly negotiations to hopefully resolve our problem.
That would be the motorhome dealer who supplied the van. Not the Peugeot dealership.

Is this the horrible dealership near Newbury ? biggrin

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:53 pm

as I mentioned before we are happy with ours.
rear air top suspension smooths out the rear very well ( with twin rear suspension leafs fitted ???? )  compared to say a standard half loaded commercial van.
the rear smoothness does emphasise the fronts commercial roots tho.
as you point out some road conditions combine to highlight that smooth rear and harsh standard front.
so could we say it's a problem with ride / driving appeal , not a specific vibration? just trying to help and also give a qenuine reflection on ours too compare.
babian
babian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:46 pm

on a level area of surface drive the van let the steering wheel find its own position stop the van and measure the front wheel rim to the back rim and check both sides are the same  I have had the locating pin on rear axle not fitted in correct before and made tyres wear uneven on a vehicle I had worked on and was like this from new .are the shocks all working as this can give you a bouncing .if Peugeot say you have got a problem and they cant put it right then the auto sleeper dealer will have to replace your van as you have said is not fit for purpose and unable to sort the problem . i have had  to do this with a new caravan as it had the fault when it left the factory was 9 months sorting . I had a replacement as the price had gone up as my money back would have cost me a lot more .don't let them take any more money off you if they replace the van they all try it on. if this was a van of mine I would be finding the fault if it was bouncing as you say.
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:01 pm

David, sorry to hear your issue.My 2019 warwick xl has had issues too but certainly not that one and its the first on this forum that i am aware off, so it is likley not to be inherant to the model.
To get "bounce" it would indicate something is not rotating true,the actions so far seem to have eliminated main sources likley of this.The other suspect which comes to mind that has not been mentioned (probably due to being new) is a deffective damper which would allow one wheel to bounce.
Your dealer should be sorting this out and not leaving it to you to chase around.You said the dealer thought it drove like all other peugeots.Was he implying that all had the same feel or that he didnt think yours had an issue? If its the former challenge him to let you drive one with the same issue.Getting the dealer to agree your concern is a major step.
Breifly...i had an issue with mine and AS told me in writing it was a normal result from manufacture,i asked them to show me one other van anywhere at a dealer with the same situation...whola!! took van back to factory and sorted it.
Not wishing to take your thread off in another well trod area but you said you tried tyre pressure from65/73 to 51/59.Did that trigger tpi?
Hopeing you get a good result soon.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Just a thought, does it happen on all roads?

I ask because when we travelled south out of Calais one year, I was convinced we had a problem from the front end. A few miles on and it was back to normal, so I put it down to road surface.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by David Facey Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:01 pm

We collected our XL from the motorhome dealer, the vibration on the way home was quite pronounced. I had the wheels checked and re balanced, fronts were quite bad rears not, there was no difference to the vibrations. Salesmen and mechanics said "of course, Conti's are renowned for flat spots if left unrotated for long", I think all tyres will do that if left for long. i then paid to have new tyres fitted, thinking that if it solved the problem the cost was worth it! It didn't and wasn't, so after ringing Peugeot customer service, I went to their dealer closer to home whose mechanic felt the vibrations. He went on a Peugeot Bulletin board and found one dated 2018 that seemed to cover the XL, the advice was to change all four wheel and tyre sets FOC from Peugeot. I didn't have the original tyres! Peugeot were eventually persuaded to supply the alli hubs and the dealer could use the tyres that I had bought, unfortunately they were badly out of balance. I then paid for a new set of tyres, which are still on the van, again no difference!
 After having ongoing friendly discussions with the motorhome group After Sales Manager, he persuaded Peugeot to have new drive shaft fitted, again to no avail.
 I can see the logic of investigating the suspensions and of measuring wheel concentricity, but how? No body as far as I know does dynamic balancing, and how does one test a suspension unit?
 We live in north Hampshire is there any one near with a Warwick XL  who might have the time to compare and discuss.

Thank you

David Facey
David Facey
David Facey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Buckled rim? Or how about swopping wheels from front to back.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm

if the rim is buckled would have been hard to balance when fitting new tyres . David did you have this from day one or has the problem come after a few trips with the van. kwik fit do a laser free check when you have new tyres fitted .  steertrak is a good mobile service have a look at the steertrak web site
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:20 pm

David....with the tyre changes you have done,replacement drive shafts and alli hubs, its quite reasonable to discount these items as at fault. I note you dont mention wheel changes as was recomended by peugeot bulletin. This dosent discount issue here unless you swap front to back as paul suggested.All thats left that i can think of  is suspension and or alignment.You said you dont know anyone who does this by dynamic balanceing. Sorry to sound blunt but its the dealer who should be sorting this out. I can understand your desire to get it sorted but this seems to be costing you and it shouldn't.
As the" motor home group" seem to agree there is an issue,pain as it is give it to them to sort or make sound and moves to have it replaced.
I live in fareham not overly far from you with 2019 warwcik xl ,not sure what help that may be but if there is something let me know.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by David Facey Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:07 pm

Peugeot supplied brand new aluminium hubs that I paid for new Nexen Roadian tyres to be fitted to, these are on the van at the moment! I know that the dealer should be sorting this but I want to be ahead of the game, so Kdc if we could compare our XLs and hopefully note a different drive experience, it would be great!
 my email address is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thank you 
David
David Facey
David Facey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 pm

When you say hubs do you mean rims?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by David Facey Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 pm

If the the centre of the wheel with the tyres attached to it is the rims, then yes I should have said rims, sorry.

David
David Facey
David Facey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:19 pm

David Facey wrote:If the the centre of the wheel with the tyres attached to it is the rims, then yes I should have said rims, sorry.

David
Thanks for clarifying, I was getting confused .

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:02 pm

hubs, tyres , flat spots, tyres, rims, tyres, drive shaft ...shafts, dealer, none dealer, peogeut, motorhome group, more money, vibration , bounce, lambs, RAC, tyre dealer mate, ahead of the "game", next phrase might be " going forward".
sorry but I'm getting a little confused ( not hard)
all that aside, good luck and keep us posted it will be very interesting  to see where this ends up.
ps. you do have twin rear leaf springs fitted and rear door restrictors
babian
babian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by David Facey Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm

babian, I nearly fell asleep writing the trobe, so I am surprised you stayed awake long enough to read it!
However, yes it does have twin rear leaf springs, but what are rear door restrictors?
David Facey
David Facey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 pm

push button ( round black on inside of rear doors) operated door restrictors, allowing you to restrict the opening of rear doors too 90 degs, or fully to 180 degs. some new owners did not have them fitted and as such, light wind could blow the open rear doors past 90 degs and then on too more than 180 degs and smash rear window.
their was an older thread about the missing items.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
babian
babian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:49 pm

the rear door stay problem is they are removed to fit the panels and did not get put back and should have been seen on pdi check before it was handed  over to the customer . I had no tail pipe which I seen was missing as I fitted my mud flaps.  David did you read the steertrak web and did you have this fault when you first drove the van
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next