The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front wheel bearing problems.

4 posters

Go down

Front wheel bearing problems. Empty Front wheel bearing problems.

Post by dogseal Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi to all,
Just had a great 2 week trip around the highlands, but had a problem with the n/s front wheel bearing which was getting worse, so we found a garage at Ballachulish that did the repair in a day so we could carry on..All fine now & no other problems at all, very happy with the repair.
The problem is that the same bearing was replaced 10 months ago for the mot.. did 8,000 miles on it.
The year before, the o/s front wheel bearing was replaced for the mot...3 sets of wheel bearings in just over 2 years of owning it. Its an old shape Peugeot 2.2 Symbol es model.
Has anyone else had any bearing failures on this model?

Any input appreciated.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Front wheel bearing problems. Empty Re: Front wheel bearing problems.

Post by Celticbiker Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Could I ask how much the repair cost as I might need mine doing for the mot .
As for frequency of failures, I'd suggest it wasn't done correctly the last time.
A wheel bearing should last for about 30000 miles at least.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 pm

My nearside front was replaced under warranty in November as I had just bought the van.

Best Regards, Mike courtesy 
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Celticbiker wrote:Could I ask how much the repair cost as I might need mine doing for the mot .
As for frequency of failures, I'd suggest it wasn't done correctly the last time.
A wheel  bearing should last for about 30000 miles at least.

Hi Celticbiker,
You will know if your bearings need replacing if you get a rumbling noise from either side as you are driving, the noise gets louder on turning slow corners..Initially I thought it was the cv joint as the noise seemed in sync with every rotation of the wheel. As it turned out, I jacked the wheel up & spun the wheel...you could hear the noise sat in the cab!
I have all the parts they removed in Scotland & spoke to the guy who mot's my van at home before letting them do the work. He said all the work they do is guaranteed for 12 months so I am going to get my dosh back..Cost? Around £120 each time.

Tim.

dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:21 am

As has been said, you will know when bearings need replacing by the rumbling noise. Just a word of warning to those members who have joined fairly recently. There has been a thread on here before regarding advisories on MOT's on front wheel bearings. Just because it advised on your MOT, don't rush out and get them changed. I had this advisory on my first MOT , a year after purchase, forgot about it and had it again on next MOT but having only covered 3000 miles thought I'd wait and needless to say forgot about it again until next MOT when no mention of it was made. Once I'd got the certificate in my hand I asked the tester why no advisory this time. His answer was that Boxers are meant to have a bit of play, perhaps a bit more than normal and that most MOT tester are not aware of this, unless they do a lot of commercial vehicles.
I posted about this at the time and it turns out that quite a few members have had similar experience at MOT time. There are two threads about this here..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Paulmold wrote:As has been said, you will know when bearings need replacing by the rumbling noise. Just a word of warning to those members who have joined fairly recently. There has been a thread on here before regarding advisories on MOT's on front wheel bearings. Just because it advised on your MOT, don't rush out and get them changed. I had this advisory on my first MOT , a year after purchase, forgot about it and had it again on next MOT but having only covered 3000 miles thought I'd wait and needless to say forgot about it again until next MOT when no mention of it was made. Once I'd got the certificate in my hand I asked the tester why no advisory this time. His answer was that Boxers are meant to have a bit of play, perhaps a bit more than normal and that most MOT tester are not aware of this, unless they do a lot of commercial vehicles.
I posted about this at the time and it turns out that quite a few members have had similar experience at MOT time. There are two threads about this here..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the links, I Had'nt seen them.
Its really the only problem we've had with it, the mechanic who did the job said he had seen a few Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat vans with the same wear..caused by water & road dirt getting past the seals. I was worried as the noise was getting louder & the bearing could have collapsed causing more damage when we were miles away from home.

Cheers guys,

Tim
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down