The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank Blankets

+10
Greyhound
Kingham
rgermain
AutoSleepy_Don
RogerThat
Paulmold
Dbvwt
PLOUGHLIN
Gromit
DesG
14 posters

Go down

Tank Blankets  Empty Tank Blankets

Post by DesG Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 am

Hello

Shortly after our first trip in our new Symbol Plus I noticed that the heated blankets on our fresh and waste tanks were both coming unstuck and hanging down. I taped both up with gorilla tape and reported the issue to the dealer.  Autosleeper agreed to a replacement which our dealer recently completed. 
Were now on our first trip after the repair and lo and behold I see that both blankets are once again hanging down, almost touching the road. I've once again secured the blankets with tape.
I'm not very impressed by the repair and I'm also wondering if the blankets have been reconnected correctly.  Does anyone know how I can check if the blankets are operating? Were up in the north of Scotland and its falling to about 4 degrees at night. I've tried feeling the blanket but it doesn't feel particularly warm. What temperature do the blankets come on at?

Many thanks 
Des
DesG
DesG

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Tank Blankets  Empty Re: Tank Blankets

Post by Gromit Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Des

Gorilla tape is good, but not that good. I'd suggest Sikaflex or something similar.

I'd also suggest you seriously wonder whether you will ever use the blankets??? We never have, and I know lots of others haven't either.

One of those "must have" gadgets that sound essential . . . until you stop and think about how you use the van. Unless you go to the Arctic you may not need them at all.  rolleyes

Just some thoughts.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:52 am

DesG wrote:Hello

Shortly after our first trip in our new Symbol Plus I noticed that the heated blankets on our fresh and waste tanks were both coming unstuck and hanging down. I taped both up with gorilla tape and reported the issue to the dealer.  Autosleeper agreed to a replacement which our dealer recently completed. 
Were now on our first trip after the repair and lo and behold I see that both blankets are once again hanging down, almost touching the road. I've once again secured the blankets with tape.
I'm not very impressed by the repair and I'm also wondering if the blankets have been reconnected correctly.  Does anyone know how I can check if the blankets are operating? Were up in the north of Scotland and its falling to about 4 degrees at night. I've tried feeling the blanket but it doesn't feel particularly warm. What temperature do the blankets come on at?

Many thanks 
Des

AFAIK they are not automatic, you need to switch them on then they are on until you switch them off or your battery dies. EHU hooked up use only.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:17 am

Spray adhesive, one of mine was hanging down soon after I picked up the van, it’s still stuck 9 months later. Make sure tank and blanket are clean, spray on both parts then wait a minute or 2 before pressing together.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:39 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
DesG wrote:Hello

Many thanks 
Des

AFAIK they are not automatic, you need to switch them on then they are on until you switch them off or your battery dies. EHU hooked up use only.
From the manual....

WATER TANK HEATERS
If specified, electrically heated,
thermostatically controlled, water tank heater
blankets are fitted to enable operation of your
vehicle in cold conditions.
Operation
• Make sure that the tank heaters are
only selected when there is liquid in
the tanks.
• Press the defrost button on the control
panel when you know the ambient
temperature will approach freezing. The
LED will indicate that there is power to
the circuit.
• If there is no liquid in the waste tank, the
heater for it must be turned off using the
isolation switch, ensuring that the LED is
NOT lit. For exact location of the switch
refer to the Location of Key Facilities
chart.
• When the temperature in the tank drops
to approximately 7°C the thermostat will
turn the heating element ‘ON’.
• When the contents of the tank rise to
18°C the thermostat will turn the system
OFF

So although not fully automatic, they are thermostatically controlled, so you won't feel any heat on the pads if temp is above 18 in the tank.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:21 pm

DesG wrote:

I noticed that the heated blankets on our fresh and waste tanks were both coming unstuck and hanging down.

Does anyone know how I can check if the blankets are operating?

DesG, what you're probably seeing hanging off is the insulation on the outside of the tank.

The electrically heated blankets are laid flat inside the tanks, not outside. Imagine a miniature electric blanket for your bed, it's that type of arrangement.

To test they are working, disconnect your van from EHU so you are on battery only, then switch the display of your control panel so you can see the current amps being drawn.  Then switch the heated tanks on.  You'll see instantly if they are working or not allthumbz

Also, don't run the heated tanks without any water in them, you'll be fine for testing purposes but not for prolonged use.

I doubt you'd ever feel any heat on the outside of the tank as the heaters only go up to a few degrees, it's only to stop freezing after all, not to produce hot water smile!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:41 pm

RogerThat wrote:
DesG wrote:

I noticed that the heated blankets on our fresh and waste tanks were both coming unstuck and hanging down.

Does anyone know how I can check if the blankets are operating?

DesG, what you're probably seeing hanging off is the insulation on the outside of the tank.

The electrically heated blankets are laid flat inside the tanks, not outside. Imagine a miniature electric blanket for your bed, it's that type of arrangement.

To test they are working, disconnect your van from EHU so you are on battery only, then switch the display of your control panel so you can see the current amps being drawn.  Then switch the heated tanks on.  You'll see instantly if they are working or not allthumbz

Also, don't run the heated tanks without any water in them, you'll be fine for testing purposes but not for prolonged use.

I doubt you'd ever feel any heat on the outside of the tank as the heaters only go up to a few degrees, it's only to stop freezing after all, not to produce hot water smile!
Well I've never heard that before. Seen them stuck on underside .....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:19 pm

No way?!

These tank blankets are on the outside?!

I'd have sworn I read they were inside the tank (hence needing water in the tank).

Well, I must apologise DesG, I'd have put money on that too!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:05 pm

DesG wrote:Does anyone know how I can check if the blankets are operating?
On my Warwick the fresh water heater is 67W and the waste tank is 75W that's a combined 10.5A (@13.5V) which you should notice on the control panel.

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct current to 10.5A)
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 pm

RogerThat wrote:
Mine are stuck the underside of the tanks. (2017 Warwick)

Tank Blankets  Img_1911

Tank Blankets  Img_1910
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
RogerThat wrote:
Mine are stuck the underside of the tanks. (2017 Warwick)

Tank Blankets  Img_1911

Tank Blankets  Img_1910
Same as mine, on the outside underneath, you can see the wires. I agree with you and Paul. I had a look today while deciding where to fit a hatch. Also I have the rocker switch in the charger area under the rear seat.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
DesG wrote:Does anyone know how I can check if the blankets are operating?
On my Warwick the fresh water heater is 67W and the waste tank is 75W that's a combined 12A which you should notice on the control panel.
leave them on when away from ehu for a couple of hours and you'll have taken a nice chunk out of your leisure battery, and will test those which arent up to it....
repeat for a few days without replenishing it and you'll be struggling.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm

I noticed one of mine was starting to hang down after 30 months and whilst I was under the van, re-securing it, the electrical connection/wiring was easy to see.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:20 am

Mine was also hanging off.  I used sikaflex and there's no way it's coming off now :)

To be honest, I also don't use them either though.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:44 pm

A forum member once said:
'I decided to use one of the relatively new polymer glues which is applied via a skeleton gun (cheap) these Adhesives are reported to stick anything to virtually anything even when wet and are solvent free'.
However, if my blankets came unstuck I would prefer sikaflex. Worked well for my Solar Panel. Also like many others I've never had the need to use the blankets.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:58 pm

MelB wrote:A forum member once said:
'I decided to use one of the relatively new polymer glues which is applied via a skeleton gun (cheap) these Adhesives are reported to stick anything to virtually anything even when wet and are solvent free'.
However, if my blankets came unstuck I would prefer sikaflex. Worked well for my Solar Panel. Also like many others I've never had the need to use the blankets.
That might have been me MelB and CT1 is the polymer adhesive, (don't get it on your fingers though) Acetone is required to clean surplus off.

Cheers 
          allthumbz Windy

ps Still stuck after 2 1/2 years
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerP51 Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:28 pm

I had a similar problem with my brandnew Kingham.  After 2 months of usage the tank blanket was hanging down.  Just used tape to fix it temporarely.  My Kingham is back at Auto-Sleepers for problems with the touch panel now.  Hopefully not only the touchpanel has been repaired.  Will know in a week or so.
But I notice a lot of people seem to have problems with the tank blankets coming loose.  It is irrevelant if you use them or not : THEY SHOULD STICK.

RogerP51

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm

It is such a common problem with brand new vans (often within a couple of months) that you would have thought that A/S may have twigged that something is not quite right here with the way they stick them on.
Or maybe not.........

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:38 pm

does the valuable first hand experience of faults reported here get fed back to AS to perform simple root cause analysis/eradication?
i suspect not.
Swift were very brave in placing staff members within the Swift Talk environment, collecting customer info and giving direct advice.
something AS could consider?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:48 pm

No formal contact between this forum and AS. There may well be employees as members and back when forum was founded there were at least two that were known to us but they haven't visited for years but could be doing so anonymously. The formal method is for problems to be flagged up to the owners club (you would have to be a member to do this) who have direct access to the necessary personnel. At least two ASOC committee members are members of this forum.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Whatever the method for flagging up problems is, it certainly isn’t working and there are currently some serious quality control issues at A/S.  I’m not just talking about tank blankets here, some pretty serious issues on new vans reported recently have simply been dismissed.
If I was anywhere near the top of the management structure within A/S, one of the first places I would be gathering valuable information from is somewhere like this place.
I guess that’s assuming that quality comes above profit (and bonuses) at the top.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerP51 Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:10 am

I can fully agree with Dbvwt concering serious quality control issues at A/S.  On my new Kingham I have a list of some 20 quality issues.  Some minor issues but also some very serious ones like a water leak around the top rear window and a big water leak from a bad connection inside although a pressure test was performed (so they say).  The last one caused water flowing underfloor through the cabin.

RogerP51

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DesG Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding, just got back from a tour of the Scottish coast - fantastic scenery and weather.

Many thanks for lots of very helpful advice about refixing the blankets and verifying that they are operating correctly. I'm now waiting for a frosty night so that I can go out and check the current flowing out of the leisure battery when I turn the blankets on.
DesG
DesG

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus

Back to top Go down

Tank Blankets  Empty Tank Blanket DIY solution

Post by Highland Lassie Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Hello there members, we live in the frozen north and have used our tank blankets quite often when we know temperatures are dipping close to, or below freezing. And yes, they've come loose, and yes, they've been back to the dealer for repair, and yes, they've come loose again. It's in a particularly awkward place to get to, and the shape and positioning of the tank makes it near impossible to strap it up.

There's too much salt, grit and muck on the roads up here to place your faith in glue and tape...but my husband has implemented the following diy solution which seems to be working:
Supporting the tank, loosen and lower the bracket lying across and underneath the blanket. Insert a 6mm thick piece of treated marine ply cut to fit the accessible three sides and raise and re-tighten the bracket.

Last edited by Highland Lassie on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to enter thickness of the ply)
Highland Lassie
Highland Lassie

Female

Back to top Go down