The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do blankets work under wheels in the mud?

4 posters

Go down

Do blankets work under wheels in the mud? Empty Do blankets work under wheels in the mud?

Post by MrsGrey Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Someone on the Latitude festival forum has posted that they are bringing old blankets to aid traction in the mud. Has anyone here tried that? I have replied to his post asking, but no reply yet -- probably already on the road! We are talking BAD mud I think... think_smiley_46
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Do blankets work under wheels in the mud? Empty Re: Do blankets work under wheels in the mud?

Post by Dutto Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi there,

Yes they work but you can generally kiss them goodbye as blankets!! wave

Also, they will only get you moving. If you are on a long slope you may still slither to a stop! snigger

If you are on mud, start off in second gear and try desperately not to spin your wheels. up!

The best thing for mud is a caterpillar tractor with a sympathetic driver who doesn't regard your tow-hitch as something to be torn off for fun! tap_fingers

Enjoy!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Do blankets work under wheels in the mud? Empty Re: Do blankets work under wheels in the mud?

Post by MrsGrey Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:37 pm

OK, thanks, sounds very similar to snow only more gooey. Luckily Suffolk doesn't much "do" slopes. Hoping. I understand there are farmers ready and waiting . Last year they were earning £200 an hour from the desperate MH folk. This year, they are I think being provided. Praying for a sympathetic driver! biggrin

Off to look out blankets.... scratch head
Yes I am working hard on my spirit of adventure....and aiming to have fun regardless. content
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Jenny,

You can get purpose-made (Fiamma?) plastic yellow ribbed mats to put under your driving wheels to help you on poor ground. We've used them in anger a number of times with mixed results. The key issue is whether the majority of your weight is over your driving wheels, generally as with rear wheel drive, or not, as with front wheel drive. In my experience with the latter, if your rear wheels are well embedded in mud or soggy ground then it's time to enlist the help of your fellow campers to push you out, or speak nicely to the local farmer.

I presume your blankets are 'use once and throw away'? The propect of dealing with soaked and soiled blankets in your camper does not sound an attractive proposition.

If you do buy the aforementioned yellow ribbed mats then keep the bag they came in as you need to store them in this bag when they're filthy and wet. In our Harmony we always keep such mats trapped vertically between the normally-closed LH rear door and rear wall of the washroom.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 am

just helped a lorry that was stuck in germany.
Some points
keep wheels straight.
Its hard to apply power slowly so i used carboard that was put under the spinning wheel.
Blankets or sacks would do better if available.
Prevention is best, so stop on plastic or thin wood when parking, and when you start to move keep going!!

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down