The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trooper T4

2 posters

Go down

Trooper T4  Empty Trooper T4

Post by Jayne45 Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi 
I've had my trooper 6 yearsand she's been perfect but I can't help noticing the ceiling is starting to get stained and God knows why as she's not leaking anywhere .looking unsightly and it does look like damp damp stains but I've only just noticed they are getting more and more prominent. IT is the old pop top like a chimney that goes straight upwards of you know what I mean .
Any advice .I tried some vanish upholstery carpet stain remover but it's looking even worse now 
Thanks for any thoughts or advice. She's 2001 .I know old but drives like a dream .
Jayne45
Jayne45

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Trooper T4  Empty Re: Trooper T4

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 pm

If it's like ours, I suspect that the staining is actually crud from road spray when you've been driving on (say) a motorway in the rain. The problem - on ours at least - is that the seal around the external edge of the roof is very much less than perfect - so there is nothing to stop small amounts of road spray getting in. On ours, we found that we could adjust the posts at the front so that the front latch pulls it down onto the roof better to produce a better seal - but it's still not great.

You can still get the fabric that our roof and front/rear panels are covered with, so we have partly replaced ours - but the job was not easy as the existing stuff was glued on very unevenly from the factory...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayne45 Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:46 am

Thankyou  . Think we will.just have to live with it as my Diy  skills leave a lot to be desired and I would make an absolute pigs ear of it . Good to know you can still get the material . I was worried the roof was knackered so thats good news.weve just been to Scotland and it didn't stop raining for a week and we moved on frequently dropping the roof which looking back I should have dried the sides of the roof with a towel before dropping the top down as I suspect the Hessian has touched the side panels of the roof that were wet . Not to mention my partner drove it a few miles very slowly before we realised we had t put the roof down . So water probably got in at the side 
Thanks again 
Jayne
Jayne45
Jayne45

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:17 am

Checking the gap and adjusting the catches at the front isn't hard by DIY standards, but I think any improvements made will be marginal.

One other thing to beware of on the hard-sided roof is that A/S used a lot of timber for the framing that the side and end panels screw into. You must make sure that the roof is not left down with lots of water under the GRP roof, because if that framing rots you are in serious trouble.

Having said that, we have owned three - one of which was over 20 years old when we sold it, and none of ours rotted - but I have heard of it happening!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayne45 Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:40 am

Ok thanks.  Ours is 19yrs old and the roof does look solid as a rock but will check it thoroughly
Jayne45
Jayne45

Female

Back to top Go down