The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carver Cascade leak inside van

4 posters

Go down

Carver Cascade leak inside van Empty Carver Cascade leak inside van

Post by Davehastings Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:05 pm

I have a 1999 Symbol which has developed a leak from the Carver heater inside the van. When I switch on the water pump I can see water spraying out inside the cupboard that the heater is housed in inside the van and the carpet in there is wet. I think perhaps one of the inlet or outlet connections to the heater have failed.

My problem is that the cupboard that the heater is housed in is very cramped and so its difficult to see exactly where the leak is coming from - let alone work on the heater unit. 

Does anyone have any tips for how I gain access to the heater and the water connections without starting to chop up the cabinetry??

Thanks

Dave
Davehastings
Davehastings

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Carver Cascade leak inside van Empty Re: Carver Cascade leak inside van

Post by JandL Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:14 pm

You need to remove it from outside - not a difficult job. Hopefully it is a hose connection problem rather than the unit itself

Take care when removing - sealant might be tricky to remove.
JandL
JandL

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:52 pm

First time I had the problem you probably have (split inlet or outlet) I repaired it the way you tried and it was horrible.

But as J&L says, simply undo the cowling and securing screws and slide it partway out of the side of the van - you can then work on the water spigots in (relative) comfort.

Just be aware that sometimes the electrical cable to the control board is tight and you may need to unplug that before sliding it out. A/S normally leave enough free gas pipe for it to move a fair way without disconnecting - but check first, of course.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Davehastings Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks so much to you both. 

I've just been and out and did exactly as you said and discovered that the cold water inlet hose had become detached so I've reconnected and  it seems good! Not sure what made it pop off though but at least now I know what to do with future problems.
Davehastings
Davehastings

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:42 pm

We had this problem on our Duetto. One hose clip had rusted away and fitting for the other hose was cracked. I replaced the clip and re fitted the heater before I found the cracked fitting. I replaced both fittings as a belt and braces measure.
The ends of both hoses were rock hard due to there age. The cold pipe only went to the pump under the sink making it easy to replace. There was enough slack in hot pipe to trim a bit off the end.
I was surprised how quickly the carpets dried out with the carver and the heater in use next trip out.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 pm

We had this problem on our Duetto. One hose clip had rusted away and fitting for the other hose was cracked. I replaced the clip and re fitted the heater before I found the cracked fitting. I replaced both fittings as a belt and braces measure.
The ends of both hoses were rock hard due to there age. The cold pipe only went to the pump under the sink  making it easy to replace. There was enough slack in hot pipe to trim a bit off the end.
I was surprised how quickly the carpets dried out with the carver and the heater in use next trip out.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza

Back to top Go down

Post by JandL Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Glad you are sorted, I love this site for just this - you have a problem, along comes someone with some advice and hey presto problem solved (not always).
JandL
JandL

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Davehastings Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Yes completely! Just brilliant!!

Thanks to everyone again.
Davehastings