The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater

4 posters

Go down

Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater Empty Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi everyone,
Whilst on our recent travels a leak developed from the Carver water heater. When the system is pressurised there is a constant drip from the bottom of what looks like a rubber gasket on the outside of the van. Not the gasket that is part of the seal to the vehicle body, but another in front of that that seems to be part of the flue system. Any thoughts?

Jeff and Di
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater Empty Re: Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater

Post by Bulletguy Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Looks like you have the same problem as me!

I think the dripping you mention is from the drain plug. The seal on mine has perished and was one thing I forgot to check before leaving UK. Thought i'd get a new seal no problem in Germany but had no luck so it will have to do for now until i'm back in UK. Fortunately it isn't a serious leak.

No idea if Carver sell the seal only or if you have to buy the complete plug. Either way the cost should not be too expensive.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater Empty R: Carver Cascade 2 W/H

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi,

The seal is a small 'O' ring, I bought a mixed pack from a DIY outlet, (look in the plumbing dept.) -not expensive and at least 4 or 5 useable. Probably cheaper than buying from Carver.

Also, I found a small smear of vaseline in the drain plug helps to maintain a good seal without overtightening the plastic thread.

Good luck!

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Still available from Ebay, this supplier is cheapest.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater Empty Carver 2 Leak

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies, but I'm fairly certain it's not the drain plug, I've had that before and that was the first thing I checked. The drain plug recess is dry, and the wet is coming from behind that front facia, and from the gasket joint between two sections of the heater external assembly. There is no sign of damp inside the vehicle. Any thoughts?

Jeff
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Jeff and Di Giblin wrote:Hi, thanks for the replies, but I'm fairly certain it's not the drain plug, I've had that before and that was the first thing I checked. The drain plug recess is dry, and the wet is coming from behind that front facia, and from the gasket joint between two sections of the heater external assembly. There is no sign of damp inside the vehicle. Any thoughts?

Jeff

The hose connectors have a tendency to crack and then leak, you'll need to take the heater out to replace them. If your Symphony is a similar age to mine (1995) open the under bench locker next to the cooker, move the swivelling panel to one side and put your hand through the hole. If the hose connectors are leaking, the floor of this compartment will be damp.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater Empty Cascade Leak

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi Frank, and thanks for the response.

I did look inside as you suggest and the internals are all quite dry. without a schematic of the internals of the heater it's difficult to know what goes on behind the gasket in question. Any ideas?

regards

Jeff
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Jeff and Di Giblin wrote:Hi Frank, and thanks for the response.

I did look inside as you suggest and the internals are all quite dry. without a schematic of the internals of the heater it's difficult to know what goes on behind the gasket in question. Any ideas?

regards

Jeff

Well yes! content I've had mine out a few times. there's a few images here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for you to scrutinise.
I replied to someone a little while ago about removing one of these, you should be able to find it somewhere in the archives.

HTH

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down