The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trooper or Trident

5 posters

Go down

Trooper or Trident Empty Trooper or Trident

Post by charliesimpson Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:50 am

Hi. We are looking for our first camper and have pretty much decided on a VW T4 Trooper or Trident.

From my research they would appear to be exactly the same with the hi-top / pop-up roof being the only difference.

There will only be 2 of us so no requirement for anybody to sleep in the roof so the roof space will be used for on site storage.

It would be great to get some feedback on pros/cons of Trooper and Trident from owners with real life experiences.

Thanks

Charlie
charliesimpson
charliesimpson

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Trooper or Trident Empty Re: Trooper or Trident

Post by Roopert Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm

I've never owned a Trident, but I owned a similar high-top A/S before owning the Trooper.

The choice is very much dependent on your personal circumstances, and there are quite a few factors that depend on those.

My personal preference is a high-top, because (obviously) you can stand up in the back any time you want, even in motorway service stations where most people would not want to raise the roof. The extra storage space is also extremely useful, so you need to be much more organised with your storage in a pop-top or you will be forever be moving stuff around inside.

The main reasons I've changed to a pop-top are firstly access to height-restricted car parks, and secondly ease of washing the van! The latter seems daft, but actually a high-top can be hard work, especially as you get older, and I hated driving round in a white van with a green algae-coloured roof.

However, the pop-top can present its own issues, specifically if you are shorter and/or are not good at high-level lifting, because the fixed-side roof can be quite hard to raise if you are on a slight slope.

Lots of factors to consider - perhaps the best starting point would be to go to a dealer's and look critically at the storage space, and do a trial lift of the roof on a Trooper.

Last edited by Roopert on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrections)
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by charliesimpson Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Great feedback. Thanks Roopert
charliesimpson
charliesimpson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeandlizriley Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Trident every time for me. The advantages set out Roopert's reply far outweigh the disadvantages. Use a small step ladder to clean the roof and never had a problem (or fallen off....!!!)
mikeandlizriley
mikeandlizriley

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Like Roopert (above) I also had a pre-Trident Autosleeper, then called a V(ery) H(igh) R(oof). When our children were small, they could sleep in the nest; indeed, I did once or twice ... although I couldn't turn over!

The extra storage space, and the ability to walk around always, were huge advantages. Coupled with the large sliding door, the VHT was an excellent non-holiday workhorse as well. I once carried 3 single bed frames and mattresses in it to London when my daughter was a student. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by finbar Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm

We are currently selling our t4 trident blush
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by charliesimpson Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:30 pm

Finbar
I am unable to PM as I haven't made sufficient posts yet. Could you contact me on 07875132701 please? Thanks
charliesimpson
charliesimpson

Male

Back to top Go down