The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replace dim Trident X reg headlights with wh

2 posters

Go down

Replace dim Trident X reg  headlights with wh Empty Replace dim Trident X reg headlights with wh

Post by p groombridge Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 pm

I think twice before going out after dark because my lights are so dim.  Definately time for a change but I don't want to blow my system by buying something incompatible.

I'm hoping that this is easily solved with a bit of advice from one of you out there who have helped me so much in the past.

Cheers.
p groombridge
p groombridge

Back to top Go down

Replace dim Trident X reg  headlights with wh Empty Re: Replace dim Trident X reg headlights with wh

Post by Roopert Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:57 pm

It's a subject that comes up regularly - the T4's headlights are not great (the T5's aren't either) and they get worse with time.

The simplest thing to try first is to replace the bulbs with brighter ones - the Philips Vision Plus range are well reviewed, and they give a fair bit more brightness - especially if the existing ones have been in a few years, as the glass darkens as they get older.

Another thing that is frequently done is to replace the headlight wiring loom with a thicker one. If you go onto the UK VW T4 forum and put "Headlight upgrade loom" into their forum search box, you will find lots of threads on the subject.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Replace dim Trident X reg  headlights with wh Empty Re: Replace dim Trident X reg headlights with wh

Post by p groombridge Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Thank you Roopert, I think I'll go for the easy option first - will let you know how I get on.
p groombridge
p groombridge

Back to top Go down

Post by p groombridge Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:03 pm

As promised, I wanted to let you know how I got on with replacing my headlamps.

It was extremely difficult to remove the old bulbs - no room for manoeuvre on the LHS where the batteries are.  I gave up, went to Halfords, bought their own-brand bulbs and got a lovely chap  to do it for me.

The new lights are a great improvement but I wish I had replaced the sidelights at the same time.  Ah well.

Thanks for your help.

Over and out
p groombridge
p groombridge

Back to top Go down