The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily?

+10
Dave 418
Lorfal
Bulletguy
Achilles heel
RogerThat
AutoSleepy_Don
daisy mae
Torbaytimber
Roopert
booms81
14 posters

Go down

Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily? Empty Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily?

Post by booms81 Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Thinking about buying a used Autosleeper, around 5m long.

Realise I've never seen anyone use these as their daily driver? Is there any reason for that?
booms81
booms81

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily? Empty Re: Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Tongue in cheek perhaps, but the only possible use I'd have for a daily driver if I lived in London would be to get as far away as possible from it!!
BTW, don't buy a diesel you'll need a mortgage to escape this week's new ULEZ, believe the next one get's to Luton or so!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily? Empty Re: Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily?

Post by Roopert Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Yes - I've owned sub-5m camper vans as my only daily-use vehicle for around the last 15 years. SWB van conversions are ideal, as in reality they are no bigger in road area than a large car.

I'm a bit puzzled about your observation though - when you see someone in their A/S conversion, how do you know whether it's their daily driver or not?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Anyone user their Autosleeper as their Daily? Empty yes I do

Post by Torbaytimber Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 pm

i use an Autosleeper Symbol as my only transport. At 5.45 metres in length it will fit into most parkings. The van is relatively expensive to run, but it is cheaper than having a second vehicle. 

I have run vans only since 1967, vans, coach built and A class up o to 6 metres in length, but yearly mileage is around 8000.  It comes down  to how the vehicle is used, but I not go back to a car.
Torbaytimber

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 am

I use to use my Anniversary Clubman as my daily drive, I don`t have a car, then changed to an Amethyst which is nearly 7mts which I also used as my daily vehicle, after 5 months thought it was not really that practical, as when visiting friends and some family members there wasnt the room outside their house or on their drive, so bought a Topaz to use as my car , 

Went to the Broadhurst museum on Sunday went in the Amethyst, as more comfortable to leave the dogs in for a while.. so both are used as regular transport.

I don`t have a car, husband does, but I am not comfortable in cars, so I don`t go in it, too low, hence the MH `s

So I see no reason not to use MH `s as daily transport.mine is actually cheaper to run than my Volvo estate was, cheaper insurance and 50%  more mpg. a bonus.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:27 pm

The car parks I use daily have height restrictions so I wouldn't be able to use a PVC as a daily.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Mine is a semi-daily driver, probably gets used two or three days a week for work :)
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Our Duetto only carries 3 passengers (incl driver), which would be a drawback.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 pm

RogerThat wrote:Mine is a semi-daily driver, probably gets used two or three days a week for work :)

To add a bit more to that...

I LOVE driving my van, it's easy to drive, comfortable, offers far better MPG that my car, and I can even make a cup of coffee if I get to a client to early hugegrins

I've considered giving up the car and just using the van, but a couple of things have put me off using only the van.

Mainly, was the quick/local stuff.  I have to drive each day to a suitable place to walk my dog, it's bit of a faff in the van as I live in a cul de sac which is jam packed with cars, meaning I have to reverse the entire length of the street just to get out.

We've taken it to the supermarket a few times to try it out, hooolllly moly I've never had so much storage space hugegrins   But the down side, at 6M long, it doesn't fit in a regular parking bay (length wise).  Which means I have to park it at the far end of the car park and overhang two bays.  My wife isn't very mobile, so I have to drop her at the entrance then park the van and hike back to the shop doors.  And vice versa.

However, having typed that, those are the only things preventing me using the van as a 100% daily driver.

And the more I think about it, Torbaytimber raises a very valid point - I'd be saving money on insurance, tax (my car is £560+ a year!) and servicing...

Hmmmmm..... scratch head
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm

I used my Duetto as sole vehicle up till a few months ago when i bought a Citroen C3 hdi shopping trolley which goes to the moon and back on a pint of fuel and only £30 tax. As others have said, a pvc will go pretty much where cars will though on supermarket car parks i park up as far away from any other cars as possible since some bozo put a ding in a previously immaculate passenger door which cost me £80 to get put right.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I use my fairford as my daily with no probs.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:11 pm

When I was working on the car terminals I used the Duetto as a my transport to work. It was handy as a changing room when it was inclement whether rather than driving home in wet clothes. I could put the habitation heater and water on to give me a warm changing room and a hot shower.
With a bit of thought I could do the shopping being mindful of height barriers. The Duetto layout was great for timber and building projects due to its length.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 am

My Kingham is my only vehicle. It’s not used every day, unless I’m away in it, but as others have said, it works out cheaper than running a second car.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:25 pm

When we were looking for replacements for the Duetto we did think of dropping to one car but management was not ready for full retirement. Also the Rienza was too much of a temptation. For the odd trip to collect gardening  bits, DIY  or rubbish to the recycling centre it is surprising how much the Polo will take. The bigger  DIY is taking a bit of a step down so not such big loads now.
I saw someone loading timber into a coach build via the rear window a couple of years ago. I am not sure what state the interior would be in if it wasnt timber.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza

Back to top Go down

Post by Botilda Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Our Kingham is the only car we have. We have very good bus Service where we live. Very nice bicycle Ways too.
Botilda
Botilda

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi 

My Boxer Symbol at 5.3 mtrs (MWB H3) is my only vehicle and fine for every day use (around 10,000 miles per year).  As a MWB van conversion it just fits in most parking spaces ie between the lines and with a slight overhang but no more than a lot of SUV’s.  Very very occasionally I meet a height restriction but never have been a fan of multi-story car parks anyway so really don’t miss them.  Very practical with the rear opening doors and sliding side door and have carried fridge freezers, large book shelves, bags of sand and cement etc much more easily than I could with a car.  

I love the size for travelling, fits (as much as most cars do) down narrow country lanes and easy to park on the roadside etc.

I love the high driving position.

Do miss the mpg my little Toyota used to give me and of course the zero car tax but have never looked back.  The gains are worth the pains!

Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 am

We use a Golf for the very local trips:   to Tesco or the Med Centre which are both within two miles.  The main vehicle is a VW Topaz.  Offers all the benefits of comfort, economy and the loo!  My son is convinced it's just a Portaloo !!  Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by vecten Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm

I use my 1999 Harmony daily. It only does around 20 mpg, but that's no hardship as I live on the Isle of Wight and only travel around 3,000 per year.
vecten
vecten

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down