The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW Status 550 Antenna / Aerial

5 posters

Go down

NEW Status 550 Antenna / Aerial Empty NEW Status 550 Antenna / Aerial

Post by CC Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Just noticed Status have a new antenna out, it's called the 550 and has some very handy features built in that make it a worthwhile upgrade... one being the new amplifier that has a built in signal meter that changes from Red-Amber-Green as you rotate the antenna to indicate signal strength, the other handy feature is the vertical / horizontal Red-Green indicator on the arm.

The cost seems to be around the same as the Status 530 models. Will probably contact Grade UK to see if these are a straight swap for the 530, as that would mean just pulling the existing antenna through the roof, and pushing the new one back through, then replacing the old amp with the new amplifier.

More info here http://www.gradeuk.co.uk/shop/status-550.html

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

NEW Status 550 Antenna / Aerial Empty Re: NEW Status 550 Antenna / Aerial

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:24 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Just noticed Status have a new antenna out, it's called the 550 and has some very handy features built in that make it a worthwhile upgrade... one being the new amplifier that has a built in signal meter that changes from Red-Amber-Green as you rotate the antenna to indicate signal strength, the other handy feature is the vertical / horizontal Red-Green indicator on the arm.

The cost seems to be around the same as the Status 530 models. Will probably contact Grade UK to see if these are a straight swap for the 530, as that would mean just pulling the existing antenna through the roof, and pushing the new one back through, then replacing the old amp with the new amplifier.

Hi CC did you upgrade your aerial yourself or did A/S do it? I have the standard fixed antenna which works well unless you are in a poor reception area and I wondered if it can be fitted using the existing hole or does it have to be mounted in a different position on the roof. If possible could you post a photo of it on the roof and from inside?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:30 am

Hi Moggy..... I never upgraded the status aerial as I figured it wasn't worth the bother. To be honest I've been pretty happy with the status we have fitted and there hasn't been many places where we've been unable to pick up a fair signal... Even on the drive at home I can get a good signal from tacolneston which is 40+ miles away shrugg We also had TV in most locations in France recently and mainly watched the M6 channel as in the evenings this seemed to mostly air English speaking programs.

Seriously thinking about getting a roof mounted satellite dish fitted in the future...

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:29 am

Morning. Why not just get the new version of the pre-amp with the indicators? I bet the antenna itself is no different. Just a thought.
http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/digital-tv-radio-amplifier-vp5-with-signal-finder.html
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:46 pm

bertb wrote:Morning. Why not just get the new version of the pre-amp with the indicators? I bet the antenna itself is no different. Just a thought.
http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/digital-tv-radio-amplifier-vp5-with-signal-finder.html

I thought the same... when I contacted Grade UK though they told me they were not compatible alone and that you had to use the antenna as well, makes sense as they do have different boosters blue and red which are incompatible with each other.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Ha Ha. As a certain MR-Davis may have said, "They would say that wouldn't they?"
I use a separate signal strength indicator, that has some coloured LED's, a few pounds
online. Just don't fall for the "special digital antenna/cable/plug/snake oil. Well maybe
digital snake oil will work.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:50 pm

NEW Status 550 Antenna / Aerial 1b2iv

We use the signal finder pictured and it's pretty reliable.
As for the boosters you could be right bert... just saying what I've read on other sites / forums and what they told me up!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 am

Yes that's the one I use. I had to replace the pre-amp and found that there are 2 models, the colour matches the aerial colour. I think any pre-amp should work provided it covers the same frequency range. And I presume the 'matching' is because the antennas have different gain figures. Anything made especially for the outdoor leisure industry carries a premium. A domestic aerial costs about £20 but that's not easy to fit on a caravan roof!
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

NEW Status 550 Antenna / Aerial Empty Status 550

Post by Sookey Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Just noticed Status have a new antenna out, it's called the 550 and has some very handy features built in that make it a worthwhile upgrade... one being the new amplifier that has a built in signal meter that changes from Red-Amber-Green as you rotate the antenna to indicate signal strength, the other handy feature is the vertical / horizontal Red-Green indicator on the arm.

During a recent habitation check, it was found the sealant around the aerial is on the way out and needs re-doing. I have been scratch head for some time about replacing the original aerial on my Nuevo and getting either the 530 or 550. When I asked at South West Motorhomes, they said this would probably require new holes drilling and they would also have to make a hole in the wardrobe shelf to accomodate the new aerial. Apparently the 550 also has a longer pole and there may not be enough room for this in the wardrobe, due to where the fuse box is sited.  Question is, was your motorhome already fitted with the 530? was it fitted in the original 'aerial hole'?. The fitter seems to think if they placed the new aerial in the original fixing, it would catch on the 'lip' on outer edge of the roof. I dont really want new holes drilled in the roof if I can help it. They said about replacing the old aerial with a 350 (I think that was the one they mentioned, but I could be wrong) but looking at reviews, it appears this is really no better than the original? So now Im totally shrugg confused3 and scratch head 
regards
Moira
Sookey
Sookey
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket launcher Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:43 pm

bought the 550 drilled hole in roof took off old spaceship fitted new kit
nothing but praise get to site turn on finder turn aerial until finder is green
turn on tv retune thats it tv picture all channels even in the lake district
 no more shouting at the wife as she has not put the arial in the correct direction
can then lie on the bench seat with lager
best money i have spent in a while
rocket launcher
rocket launcher

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : BROADWAY FIXED BED
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down