The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tailgate Awning?

5 posters

Go down

Tailgate Awning? Empty Tailgate Awning?

Post by Tetenterre Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:02 pm

I am considering a tailgate awning for the van (Merc Vito Autosleeper Montana Hi-top). I have discounted the "dangle from the tailgate" options because they don't allow a closed tailgate (security, warmth), and are open to "elements" blowing under the van.

Our "shakedown" last week suggested it would be advantageous to have an external "boot-room" where we can shed muddy boots and hang wet rain-gear outside the van. This seems to imply a driveaway awning with a decent depth cowl/tunnel that also has direct (side) entrance. The awning itself would be used for seating when it's not possible to sit outside. We also have a Fiamma canopy fitted to the side of the vehicle for shade on sunny days, and could fit an awning to the channel on that, but we think it would be more advantageous to have the awning at the rear.

After a lot of consideration, budget being a consideration, and only just managing to avoid "paralysis by analysis", we think an Outdoor Revolution Movelite Cayman Tail Drive-Away Awning (as a newbie here, I am unable to post a URL to it) best suits our needs.

Our questions are these:

• Are there any contra-indications to getting this?
  • Are we overlooking an important consideration?
  • Is there a better option around the same price-point?

Thanks in advance for any insights...

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Tailgate Awning? Empty Re: Tailgate Awning?

Post by marbarsymbol Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

We have been down the driveaway awning route  with purchases of various ones in the past. 
Current solution is a small standalone storage tent approx £100 which is big enough to sit in, in not so good wrather and stores chairs and boots etc.
Fairly light weight and small bag to carry, easy and quick to put up and no disadvantages found from not being joined to the van. Cheaper solution that works for us.

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm

For me the problem with tailgate awnings is that you have to go back out in the wet/mud whatever to get back into the van once you've dumped your wet gear.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Another consideration, some pitches on some sites may not be long enough to accommodate a 2.5 metre awning, plus at least another 0.5 metre for a drive away type to allow for the connection tunnel.

I make use of the connecting groove in the facia of my Fiamma and use a Kador strip to join the tunnel of my Kampa drive away and can still have trouble fitting it sideways on to a standard C&CC pitch, never mind trying to fit it behind the van.

Do ‘OR’ awnings have removeable floors, as some sites insist on ground sheets being lifted periodically.

Last edited by Kingham on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Tetenterre Wed May 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks, All, for the input.

I've bitten the bullet and got the Cayman Tail. First outing will be in a couple of weeks; we'll see how it pans out.

@marbarsymbol: We specifically want the "boot room" (aka tunnel/cowl) next to the van entrance for wet coats, boots, etc.

@peel: I'm not sure I understand you- I will merely dump the wet gear then get in the van through the tailgate.

@Kingham: The length is a consideration: will be a smidgeon under 8.5m, including guys (but more if we want to put up the main entrance canopy, which we probably won't most of the time. However, most of the places we are likely to go are a tad less "formal" and it's less likely to be a problem.

Didn't know about the periodic floor lifting; what sort of period is usually required?

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed May 01, 2019 4:28 pm

"Didn't know about the periodic floor lifting; what sort of period is usually required?"

CAMC say:

"Please protect the pitch grass by lifting your groundsheets and side flaps of awnings, tents or annexes at frequent intervals or as required to by site staff." 

'Frequent intervals' isn’t very helpful.scratch head
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Thanks, All, for the input.

I've bitten the bullet and got the Cayman Tail. First outing will be in a couple of weeks; we'll see how it pans out.

@marbarsymbol: We specifically want the "boot room" (aka tunnel/cowl) next to the van entrance for wet coats, boots, etc.

@peel: I'm not sure I understand you- I will merely dump the wet gear then get in the van through the tailgate.

@Kingham: The length is a consideration: will be a smidgeon under 8.5m, including guys (but more if we want to put up the main entrance canopy, which we probably won't most of the time. However, most of the places we are likely to go are a tad less "formal" and it's less likely to be a problem.

Didn't know about the periodic floor lifting; what sort of period is usually required?

Sounds like a plan. Sorry for talking rubbish: I forget the bigger, newer vans have rear access (unlike my VW T4)
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down