The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waste water

+21
rogerblack
mam0809
Paulmold
Dave 418
Lorfal
frenchy
Paramedic
RogerThat
Sally
roli
Kingham
StewPotch
harrysp
Weegie
MelB
Tinwheeler
bikeralw
Bobskate
Kemerton-bath
Dbvwt
Caught1once
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Waste water  - Page 2 Empty Re: Waste water

Post by Lorfal Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 am

Another vote for simple stuff....keep it easy and cheap.....collapsible bucket. If on a site for a few days we empty waste every day with bucket just to keep it down. We use van shower a lot.....our waste smells lovely lol
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:35 am

bikeralw wrote:..........as I never usually know where my next port of call is going to be, I always travel with a full fresh and empty waste...........
allthumbz
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 pm

We bought one of the 25 litre waste water containers that looks like a Jerry can laid on its side. It will fit under the waste tap on our Rienza. We are lucky to have room to store it in the side locker.
If we are staying longer than two nights using our shower etc we some times use serviced pitches making the waste container redundant. The pitch we had on the Rhine at Rudesheim meant we were couldn't move because we were on concrete blocks but there was a water tap near enough to reach with our longest hose. I put the waste container under the tap and emptied it before it got too heavy. A slight bonus using the waste container during the hot weather this summer it meant no smells from the waste water.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:00 pm

I've posted this photo before. It gives a clearer picture of how high various containers are. You can't make water flow uphill (although if the waste tank is pretty full it will drain to the level of the recepticle) so a bucket may be ok for a coachbuilt but not great for a van conversion with a flexible emptying hose.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mam0809 Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:We use a small bucket that collapses flat for storage.  If we’re on site for a few days then a few bucket loads thrown into the nearest hedge does the trick.
 I hope you are joking about throwing it in the hedge!? thats a sure way to cause bad smells and encourage scavengers around the site .
mam0809
mam0809
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : executive
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm

mam0809 wrote:
Kemerton-bath wrote:We use a small bucket that collapses flat for storage.  If we’re on site for a few days then a few bucket loads thrown into the nearest hedge does the trick.
 I hope you are joking about throwing it in the hedge!? thats a sure way to cause bad smells and encourage scavengers around the site .
On several CL sites, we have been encouraged by the owners to empty grey waste directly around shrubbery etc.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Paulmold wrote: W:smile!: smile! smile! I've posted this photo before. It gives a clearer picture of how high various containers are. You can't make water flow uphill (although if the waste tank is pretty full it will drain to the level of the recepticle) so a bucket may be ok for a coachbuilt but not great for a van conversion with a flexible emptying hose.

Paul, don’t want to question your undoubted knowledge but...the 10l bucket I posted right at the beginning of this thread fits perfectly under my Symbol (fully extended) so I would imagine would fit under any PVC.
Obviously, we all have different vans with different storage capabilities and most have worked out what works for them.
I’m still in the keep it simple corner!!

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:55 pm

On several CL sites, we have been encouraged by the owners to empty grey waste directly around shrubbery etc

I’ve encountered the same frequently in my campervan days. If you stay on the ‘proper’ campsites then I’m sure this practice is frowned upon but not by many sites.

Ever thought about where the grey waste in the boating community goes??
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Dbvwt wrote .'Paul, don’t want to question your undoubted knowledge but...the 10l bucket I posted right at the beginning of this thread fits perfectly under my Symbol (fully extended) so I would imagine would fit under any PVC.
Obviously, we all have different vans with different storage capabilities and most have worked out what works for them.

I don't doubt it fits under the sill but can the emptying hose be lowered enough to drain the tank?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Fair point, I guess it depends on how much water you have to drain?

I’m a complete novice but so far draining off every morning hasn’t filled the bucket. 
Obviously so many variables and quite possibly come summer I’ll be eating my words  smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Paramedic wrote:
mam0809 wrote:
On several CL sites, we have been encouraged by the owners to empty grey waste directly around shrubbery etc.

It’s quite common to do this on CLs and similar small sites in my experience. Some have no other drainage facility but the owners will always tell you what they want you to do.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:
Paramedic wrote:
mam0809 wrote:

It’s quite common to do this on CLs and similar small sites in my experience. Some have no other drainage facility but the owners will always tell you what they want you to do.
Have also been asked to do this on CLs.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm

harrysp wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:
Paramedic wrote:

Have also been asked to do this on CLs.
It's almost standard procedure on C&CC temporary holiday sites.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 pm

Pouring onto the hedge roots is also standard practice on our front drive if we arrive home with contents in the waste tank, just as domestic dishwater and bath water go on the lawn/flowerbeds during the summer, especially when we have all-too-frequent hosepipe bans.

Never had any problem with bad smells or scavengers . . .

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 pm

The site owner at Craven Arms said "chuck you're grey water in the hedge bottom to keep the weeds down. shrugg
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 pm

More continental sites than ever advise emptying buckets of grey water onto hedge bottoms, especially in hot countries where water might get scarce in summer.
Most responsible van owners don't let kitchen scraps go into their tanks, so it's only slightly soapy water which does no harm at all.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Slightly off topic but from hiring narrow boats I rembered asking about emptying the grey water when we took over the boat. The guy doing the hand over took great delight in telling me that waste water went into the canal. Maybe it helped keep the weeds down. 
I have noticed some caravan owners have a bucket by there tow hitch. I presume this is for fire safety not waste water. Maybe a club rule, the last ones I saw were all the same colour.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Collapsible bucket does fine under fairford , let it squish down a bit when draining into, so flexible . Yeah it might mean an extra trip to the drain....or hedge lol , cos it might only be 3/4 full.....so one extra trip , keep it daily and take 2 buckets , not much more space taken. Job done!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:38 am

We use the toilet cassette
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:15 am

Toffee wrote:We use the toilet cassette
Bet you get some strange looks when you empty a toilet cassette down the grey water drain...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 am

What about one of these for draining down small amounts (not sure if it is a similar size to the ones in the pictures Paul put up but at 10 litres should be compact).
Obviously it lays flat and the built in tray should keep splashes to a minimum. I realise the holes look quite small but may work if you just want to drain smaller amounts.

Last edited by Dbvwt on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am

When on a CL we have often been asked to pour grey water under hedge or around trees, like Al we are very fussy about what goes into waste tank.  We use a bucket which started life as a nappy bucket so has done good service: it travels in the bathroom carrying kettle and anything else that fits in.  Useful for keeping bottles upright that might not fit in the fridge.
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire/now sold
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 pm

I carry an oblong 10l bucket in the seat locker, filled with the Whale fresh water hoses and adaptors. I also carry a 10l Jerry can flat on the floor in the toilet compartment for fresh water. The bucket was from the £1 shop.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 am

Beetee wrote:.....we are very fussy about what goes into waste tank....We use a bucket which started life as a nappy bucket ......it travels in the bathroom carrying kettle......
Really???  confused3
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:01 am

Dbvwt wrote:
Paulmold wrote: W:smile!: smile! smile! I've posted this photo before. It gives a clearer picture of how high various containers are. You can't make water flow uphill (although if the waste tank is pretty full it will drain to the level of the recepticle) so a bucket may be ok for a coachbuilt but not great for a van conversion with a flexible emptying hose.

Paul, don’t want to question your undoubted knowledge but...the 10l bucket I posted right at the beginning of this thread fits perfectly under my Symbol (fully extended) so I would imagine would fit under any PVC.
Hi Likewise just use a collapsible bucket with my Symbol.

I did buy one of the black containers (the one with the red cap) with my initial enthusiasm but if filled is heavy and awkward and if carried in the van leaks around the cap seals... not much but enough to be annoying.

Rob
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next