The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waste water

+21
rogerblack
mam0809
Paulmold
Dave 418
Lorfal
frenchy
Paramedic
RogerThat
Sally
roli
Kingham
StewPotch
harrysp
Weegie
MelB
Tinwheeler
bikeralw
Bobskate
Kemerton-bath
Dbvwt
Caught1once
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Waste water  Empty Waste water

Post by Caught1once Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi all, I will soon be collecting my Kingham and would like ideas on the best product for removing waste water when not wanting to move the van to empty out 
I have looked at the fiamma wheeled carrier but it may be too high at 25cm

Thanks Ken
Caught1once
Caught1once

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham pvc
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Waste water  Empty Re: Waste water

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 am

If you did this, where would you store the carrier when not in use? I certainly would have no room for it in my Duo?
Can't be that hard to drain it on site, it holds circa 70ltrs, which is quite a lot, ours, for example, has never been full.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:36 am

Keep it simple was my thinking when asking myself exactly the same question recently. I bought a simple collapsible bucket even if it may mean a couple of trips to empty.
Really pleased with the quality (got mine on eBay for £8.49 delivered but it’s the same item)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 am

We use a small bucket that collapses flat for storage.  If we’re on site for a few days then a few bucket loads thrown into the nearest hedge does the trick.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am

Must admit I'm not as frugal with water as IanH. Not sure who makes them but those black plastic Jerry cans that you see everywhere slip under the van quite nicely and you can drain directly into them. Not too heavy to carry to the disposal point either. When travelling it goes in the bathroom. I agree with you, don't want to be faffing about with moving van to the motorhome service point.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 am

I like things simple, and even better, dual-purpose. For fresh water, a 10 litre plastic water container with tap, which as well as our drinking water supply, also doubles up for transporting water to the onboard tank.
For waste water, a standard 2 gallon mop bucket which is also used for fetching and carrying laundry when on site. The mop bucket takes up no extra space when on the move as it's filled with items that would otherwise be rattling round the under sink cupboard. 
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Caught1once Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 am

IanH wrote:If you did this, where would you store the carrier when not in use? I certainly would have no room for it in my Duo?
Can't be that hard to drain it on site, it holds circa 70ltrs, which is quite a lot, ours, for example, has never been full.
I take your point that storage is a problem IanH therefore will take the advice from the other comments and use a bucket, the Kingham waste water tank only holds 40ltrs it's for this reason that I would not move every time to discharge waste
Ken
Caught1once
Caught1once

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:06 pm

We have a collapsible bucket for draining in emergencies but, in my view, one big bonus of a motorvan is being able to take the van to the tap and drain rather than having to fetch and carry water as is the case with a caravan.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Collapsible bucket for draining works fine for me. Takes less room. Use it also as a fire bucket on the many club rallies we go on.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Another vote for a collapsible bucket.
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Caught1once wrote:
IanH wrote:If you did this, where would you store the carrier when not in use? I certainly would have no room for it in my Duo?
I take your point that storage is a problem IanH therefore will take the advice from the other comments and use a bucket, the Kingham waste water tank only holds 40ltrs it's for this reason that I would not move every time to discharge waste
Ken
yes, that's a tiny waste tank....
there are caravanners on the CC forum who say they use 40ltr of water a day, they must spend all day walking about, bringing or disposing...
we are nearer 10 when not showering in the van....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Agree Bolero boy, I often what people do with all the water when I see then back and forth to the tap/waste.

We use a plastic bucket, that holds a host of bits and pieces in the under bed locker when travelling.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Tinwheeler wrote: in my view, one big bonus of a motorvan is being able to take the van to the tap and drain rather than having to fetch and carry water as is the case with a caravan.
In the main I agree, the onboard tanks are fine for a stop of a couple of days.
But if staying put for much longer, you might have the van nice and level on levelling ramps, the awning out and pegged down, external screen fitted to keep the van cool, seats swivelled, all manner of stuff out on worksurfaces etc.
Carrying a few gallons of fresh/waste water 50 yards is by far the easier option compared to moving the van.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Agree totally with Al. I don’t think we’ve stayed longer than a week in one place, with probably 90% of stays being two days so the size of tanks is adequate for what we need.
We do carry a collapsible bucket all the time.
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:06 pm

W
bikeralw wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote: in my view, one big bonus of a motorvan is being able to take the van to the tap and drain rather than having to fetch and carry water as is the case with a caravan.
In the main I agree, the onboard tanks are fine for a stop of a couple of days.
But if staying put for much longer, you might have the van nice and level on levelling ramps, the awning out and pegged down, external screen fitted to keep the van cool, seats swivelled, all manner of stuff out on worksurfaces etc.
Carrying a few gallons of fresh/waste water 50 yards is by far the easier option compared to moving the van.
Al.

If that is your way of vanning, I agree but if you’re like us and are out and about or moving on nearly every day, don’t have an awning (other than the canopy), rarely use the external screen or ramps and don't leave much out on the worktops, then carrying water is unnecessary 99% of the time as we'll be driving past the service point anyway. It all depends how you use your van.up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Caught1once Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies a collapsible bucket it is then
Caught1once
Caught1once

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Caught1once - I use the black 15 litre waste water carrier mentioned earlier and it fits perfectly under the Kingham bed, to the right of the gas strut, against the side wall of the toilet. I also store a 5 litre watering can for topping up fresh water, in the same area under the bed.
The waste carrier is the type with a dished area and red filler cap in the side of the container and a red filler cap on the top next to the carrying handle.
The low profile container fits perfectly under the Kingham grey waste hose to allow drainage, which I’m not sure a taller bucket would allow.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 pm

If we can’t for whatever reason empty directly to the ground we have used a collapsible bucket. Last year I saw one of our members got the lower section of a wastemaster under his Warwick. I knew of someone who had a new one so bought it. If we are going away for over a week it comes, less than a week the small collapsible bucket comes
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pm

I purchased this after my first trip out (well my brother bought it for me smile!) as the site I went to did not have an accessible point for motor homes.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It fits under the waste taps (some containers are too deep), takes a lot but has wheels, and I store it in the bathroom when driving.  On site it’s under the van.

Mines a Sussex Duo not a Kingham, but the principles are the same.  The main thing I wanted was something that fitted where the taps were and would take a lot, so that I didn’t have to make numerous trips.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 pm

After years of traipsing back and forth with a watering can and a collapsible bucket countless times a day to collect our fresh and empty our grey, I've not long bought a waste master and an aqua roll.

It makes life soooooo much easier for my poor old back and knees :)

They both get stored on the floor in the washroom while travelling.

I can't be the only one that does this, surely? shrugg
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 pm

RogerThat wrote:After years of traipsing back and forth with a watering can and a collapsible bucket countless times a day to collect our fresh and empty our grey, I've not long bought a waste master and an aqua roll.

We have the 40 litre Aqua roll to fill the van with the Whale system. and Fiamma 21 litre grey water. But alas, the Fiamma will have to go (along with other bits) so as to try and keep with the user payload. So it's back to the bucket and getting wet feet. so_sad

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 pm

RogerThat wrote:After years of traipsing back and forth with a watering can and a collapsible bucket countless times a day to collect our fresh and empty our grey, I've not long bought a waste master and an aqua roll.

We have the 40 litre Aqua roll to fill the van with the Whale system. and Fiamma 21 litre grey water. But alas, the Fiamma will have to go (along with other bits) so as to try and keep within  the user payload. So it's back to the bucket and getting wet feet. so_sad

Last edited by Paramedic on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by frenchy Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 pm

I use a watering can to fill and a collapsible bucket to empty. I do it every day and it doesn't take long. Its for my piece of mind when I come back from the pub in the rain , but each to his own.
frenchy
frenchy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

I seldom stay in one place more than 2 days, so on the occasion I do have to carry water in a container, it's not much of an issue.  
However, as I never usually know where my next port of call is going to be, I always travel with a full fresh and empty waste.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:38 am

small water tanks (fresh and waste) and poor storage for 'outside' kit can be the bane of some MH brands...especially PVCs
throw in the common fitting a system that relies on a large container and a pump to fill the tank (when a simple hole will be more than adequate for the rest of the MH fraternity) also leads to more bulky kit and pressure on storage space.....an Aquaroll is 40 ltrs of wasted storage space (air) when not being used.
if your van has large storage like a garage or decent externally accessed underbed storage then this might be ok, but many UK style/layout PVCs don't have this sort of spare storage capacity.
large tanks moght mean vans can stay on pitches longer (if that's your style) or move from aire to aire without relying on a water supply.
equally, large waste tanks mean less trips to the MHSP or endless small bucket runs...but small tanks can hinder this...
I said upthread we were pretty thrifty with water (at home also) using around 10ltr a day without showers, perhaps 20 if showering in the van....this means we can be independent of water/waste for 10/12 days or more when using site facilities or 5/6 when showering in the van...
if water needs are nearer double that (or even more) and your tanks are half the size (not unusual in uk PVCs) there will be a lot of filling and emtying going on.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next