The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one?

5 posters

Go down

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one? Empty Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one?

Post by Bulletguy Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Any Ford Transit Duetto owners who have a Fiamma Back box? If so which one do you have fitted?

I'm looking at either the Ultra 320
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or the Ultra 180
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Whilst the 320 has much more storage space than the 180, i'm unsure if the Transit door would be capable of taking the weight.

Any comments appreciated.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one? Empty Re: Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one?

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Although I looked into fitting one of these but changed my mind, I thought that the 320 box was too large as it went across both doors whereas the 180 fitted across just one door allowing you to still open just the one door and not both together.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one? Empty Re: Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one?

Post by Bulletguy Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Paulmold wrote:Although I looked into fitting one of these but changed my mind, I thought that the 320 box was too large as it went across both doors whereas the 180 fitted across just one door allowing you to still open just the one door and not both together.
Depends which door the box is fitted on Paul. Most boxes i've seen on double opening doors as in the case of the Transit tend to be fitted on the O/S door, though it would be possible to fit a 180 box to the N/S......but that then means you couldn't ever fit a wider box such as a 320 as opening the door/s would prove impossible. Something every owner should consider from a safety point when fitting any back box.

As long as the box is fitted to the O/S door you could still open just the one door, irrespective of box size. What does concern me though is if the door can take this kind of weight (the box alone is 12kg)?
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Bulletguy
I have fitted a carry-bike rack onto my Boxer based Symbol. Was also considering a 320 box, my next door neighbour has one on his larger motor home. so I put it on my rack and apart from looking huge, I knew it would be far too heavy for the o/s rear door to cope with, So I bought the 180. I find it is plenty large enough to carry all the larger lightweight stuff that clogs up the van interior.
plattypus
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one? Empty Slightly O/T

Post by boxerman Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:02 am

Not strictly about back boxes, but rather about the weight on the door. When we used to take our bikes everywhere, I used to get rather "concerned" about the way I could often see daylight at the top of the offside door (the one the bike rack was attached to) due to it flexing when the rack was loaded. I often wondered if there was a way of bracing the top of the door to prevent this.

Our old Trafic didn't have this problem as it had bolts top and bottom like the boxer nearside door has.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one? Empty Fiamma back box

Post by Cainnech Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:00 pm

We fitted a Fiamma 320 Box onto the rear offside door using the D200 (I think - need to check) bike rack. A scary moment and I had to be VERY careful about the top brackets but did manage after a lot of measuring and checking, to get them on. The Box and rack do wobble a bit when closing the door but we have travelled over 2000 miles since fitting with no problems. The rearward view has gone but I bought a rear camera at the NEC the other day and I intend to fix it on the box above the lock to assit with reversing. The box is (a) ugly and (b) a godsend for storage. Go for it - if some photos will help will gladly send.

Regards

Ken
Cainnech
Cainnech

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Cainnech wrote:We fitted a Fiamma 320 Box onto the rear offside door using the D200 (I think - need to check) bike rack.
Ken

Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but I have a Duetto like yours and have since been told by Fiamma that the 320 box is not really ideal for the Transit due to size/weight. A local supplier went one step further and told me that even though he could make more money by encouraging me to have a 320, he wouldn't fit one.....and he explained why.

Double door Transits up to 2000 reg are hinged only with two hinge brackets, and that is where the 'weak point' is. On later model Transits Ford strengthened the double doors by adding a further hinge (3 on each side) and they will take a 320.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one? Empty Back Box on Duetto

Post by Cainnech Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:02 am

Well that is a bit of bad news, having said that, we dont really use the back door as the roof line is a bit low and getting in and out is not easy. The load factor has always been in my mind which is why we only use it to carry water pipes for filling tank, a folding chair and the usual clutter that you need such as the mains cable.

What does he suggest then. the smallest of the boxes is not much smaller so that just leaves the canvas bag thing.

I think I will have to look into this over the winter.

Thanks for the info

Ken
Cainnech
Cainnech

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Cainnech wrote:Well that is a bit of bad news, having said that, we dont really use the back door as the roof line is a bit low and getting in and out is not easy. The load factor has always been in my mind which is why we only use it to carry water pipes for filling tank, a folding chair and the usual clutter that you need such as the mains cable.

What does he suggest then. the smallest of the boxes is not much smaller so that just leaves the canvas bag thing.
Hi Ken

Fiamma 180 box. That's the max he recommends fitting due to the door hinge layout of the 'smiley' front Transits. You might just get away with your current arrangement if you don't use the the door as obviously once it's opened the only things supporting that weight are the door hinges.

This chap certainly knew what he was talking about as they fit a variety of racks etc to numerous vans and motorhomes and the place itself is ram packed with used motorhomes.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Back Box on Duetto...which one? Empty Back Box

Post by Cainnech Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I might have to consider a trade in at some time. At least he doesn't advocate no box at all. As I said in my last post, we try yo keep the weight to an absolute minimum and rarely use the back door so me might get away with it.

Thanks for all the tips.

Ken
Cainnech
Cainnech

Male

Back to top Go down