The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What am I missing?

+5
roli
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
groundhog
the wheelbarrow
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What am I missing? - Page 2 Empty Re: What am I missing?

Post by the wheelbarrow Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Rolyan, we’re sticking with the Benivan.

We’ve had some time in the Warwick, taken it for a longish drive and there are few features that we particularly like that are not available in the Benivan. We can live without them without any issues. Both will meet requirements without question. The question is – what benefit do we get for the additional £10-12k?

To be blunt – we can’t see anything of substance to justify the price difference.
Choice of colours with the Warwick. White only with the Benivan. Which we like.

Your car analogy I think adds weight to my decision. Perhaps it’s looking at it from a different perspective.
Two cars. Same manufacturer. Same running gear. Same engine.
Different badges and different seats / seat covers.

Features / benefits of the Benivan:
We can get a brand new camper for the price of a 3 or 4 year old Warwick, with an automatic gearbox that we want.
Associated Warranty – EU wide (this may change…)
Space between the kitchen and the washroom – not an issue for me but the Mrs thinks it’s good.
She doesn’t want an oven either – prefers a microwave. I prefer a BBQ.
Clean, simple, very light and fresh interior – almost minimalist (personal but we think the Warwick is a bit fussy / chintzy inside. I’m sure others will disagree)
Opening window on the sliding door side is a PITA but we can get over that.

The cost saving is significant.

The difference in price seems to be emotional and based on branding, reputation and loyalty rather than material differences.
The AS quality, we felt, was not that great when we were at the show. Vantage was the benchmark but both Benivan and AS fall short of this.

As I understand it – the base vehicles are the same (Fiat / Peugeot). Engines can be different unless you go for the auto – in which case it becomes a Fiat engine.

150 horses as standard is nice.

We got a discount off list price (time of year helps) and some additions, expensive additions, thrown in for free.

I hope that we don’t come to regret the decision.

The unknown at this stage is the dealer. Hopefully we won’t need to put them to the test. Minor issues I’ll sort.
They’re not far away geographically and it’s not a daily runner for us.

We’ve had a long chat with the dealer re reputations / service. They’re keen to buck the bad press. I shall be vocal either way. Social media can be your friend. So can parking your camper on their lawn…

Saying that – a friend of ours had lots of issues with Spinney on a nearly new MH…

So – thanks everyone for your input. It’s quite obvious that people care deeply about their campers – and why not? They bring a great deal of pleasure, a means of escape and a source of enjoyment. It would be nice if all dealers and manufacturers saw the importance of these things in the same way.
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Benivan 120
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

What am I missing? - Page 2 Empty Re: What am I missing?

Post by Rolyan Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Sounds good to me. You’re choosing a van that you want, with the layout you want, at a price that’s right for you. I doubt very much you’ll come to regret the decision.

Enjoy your van and time in it.

P.S. emotions definitely form part of the decision, for everybody in my opinion.  For example, I don’t know what car you drive. But having been in the automotive industry for over 40 years, I can pretty much guarantee that whatever it is, some people will hate it, some people will love it, and most importantly, the cost of the car does not equate to the cost of the individual components.  Yet it’s the right one for you. Same as the Benivan is the right one for you. Good choice.
Rolyan
Rolyan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2