The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rattles

+6
Quilter
Gromit
Tinwheeler
oldfred
Lorfal
Moaten
10 posters

Go down

Rattles Empty Rattles

Post by Moaten Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm

agree3 THi, just started with our new van and needless to say there are plenty of things that rattle about. To what extent do folk go to silence the rattles or do you just live with it.  Looking for tips and advice please.
Moaten
Moaten

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Rattles Empty Re: Rattles

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Hello fellow fairforder! We have a few rattles, not many though. Our biggest rattle was the cutlery drawer banging and sliding against the cupboard door. The drawer seems fine but slides super easily. We just jammed a loo roll in there and that stops it. We use loo Roll, tea towels and socks dotted about if we have rattling. 

Removed the crystal glasses , shoved an Ikea glass carrying box in there for our glasswear.

All pots and pans have that anti slip Matt stuff in between each pan when stacked. Cheap to buy and ver effective. To save folding tea towels and storing them, we have stuffed a few around the plates in the plate cupboard so get no rattle at all from there.

Removed the metal grill from microwave. Never use it. Wrap another towel round the turntable and store bread etc in it when travelling.

Don’t really get much rattle from glass tops on cooker and sink, again a tea towel would help this.

Never leave anything loose in the washroom. Jam things along the toilet shelf bit with towels. Or you can get little plastic baskets that will fit snuggly behind the rail. Don’t have em ourselves yet but will get some.

Current rattle for us is the blind cassette in the sliding door, but hopefully this will get sorted at 1st hab service this month.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Rattles are not a problem once you have a good idea what is rattling. The main concern to Motorhome drivers is hearing a new rattle smile!
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Moaten wrote:agree3 THi, just started with our new van and needless to say there are plenty of things that rattle about. To what extent do folk go to silence the rattles or do you just live with it.  Looking for tips and advice please.

Oh no, don’t live with the rattles, they'll drive you mad!

Much like, Lorfal, we use non-slip matting between pots and pans and wrap tea towels around the microwave bits which then travel in the pan drawer, likewise the grill pan and grid. A tea towel stops the glass hob lid rattling and clothes pegs keep the oven shelf firmly in place. 

Any rattley doors can be silenced with sticky rubber or felt blobs. A little ingenuity can achieve a lot.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Hadn’t thought about clothes pegs for oven shelves! Just been using bits of anti slip round the edges of the shelves but gonna try the pegs. up!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:48 pm

I just turn down the volume on the hearing aids.
Can't hear the wife then either!!  Whistle1   broomstick

I'm not entirely joking either. We've found that attitude is the best cure. Just accept that you will never stop them all, and that searching for each new one as it appears will drive you bonkers - so ignore them.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 pm

oldfred wrote:Rattles are not a problem once you have a good idea what is rattling. The main concern to Motorhome drivers is hearing a new rattle smile!

Wise words !  We lived for a year with a constant woody slapping noise: not the shower screen, not oven shelves, not hab doors, not anything we could identify. Only after taking my life in my hands and walking round the hab area as we drove did we discover it was the bike keys hanging in a locker above the fridge. 

Otherwise we don’t seem to have rattles. I’m not over-fussy about packing so think we are lucky ( or just exceptional drivers ? ! ).  I used to pack crockery very carefully but don’t even do that now.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by uapman Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi, On my Fairford the bulk of the rattles came from the cabinet door handle push buttons which have a large tolerance to move about.( Squeaks more than rattle)

I took these apart and give a couple of turns of PTFE replaced and cut off any showing excess.   workks well  not too any turns as it will impede the action.
uapman
uapman

Male

Member Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Upgraded the rubbish sound system on our Pollensa to a new radio/CD/SD/USB player with 4 mid range speakers, two tweeters and a large bass sub-woofer fitted on the low bulkhead behind the driver's seat; I've never heard a rattle since! Put on a bit of Basshunter, Scooter, or Wagner and I even get a back massage.  Luvvly-jubbly!

Also has a remote control so great for controlling from the hab area when parked up or pitched. On very low volume setting in consideration of neighbours, of course.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Just accept that you will never stop them all, and that searching for each new one as it appears will drive you bonkers - so ignore them.
Sooo true.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:20 pm

We use bubble wrap pouches, about 1 foot square, from eBay. £12 for 50. Anything that rattles, goes into a bag !!
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Tengah74 wrote:We use bubble wrap pouches, about 1 foot square, from eBay. £12 for 50. Anything that rattles, goes into a bag !!
Do they stretch?
Would I get the wife in one??  broomstick

Getting me tin hat and coat!  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Dangerous territory Gromit, you are a brave man, out too the takeaway tonight ? !!!
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down