The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion??

+30
-mojo-
boxerman
Min from LFE
Mindhyg
inspiredron
mikethebike
Bulletguy
the wheelbarrow
Gromit
kaspian
roli
Heanorboy
marbarsymbol
bikeralw
carlc
PitStopCrew
chrisvesey
Rolyan
Lorfal
pstallwood
Ramblers
mpbarrett
Dare-devil-dennis
ymfb1
Tinwheeler
oldfred
dbroada
rgermain
Jarjar
Dbvwt
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Tell me why to buy a Van conversion??

Post by Mindhyg Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Lorfal wrote:Firm believer if it feels right then it probably is. Have had a coach before but wen5 for pvc last year and have not regretted it.

Thought we might struggle for space...Not so! We have learned to be more economical with packing. 

Thought we would need more floor space for dogs......not so! Lol they have plenty space but it took them a wee while to find their own spot.

We use ours as our car too. One set of tax, insurance etc etc.....

It is longer than our coach , but narrower, much easier to negotiate tighter spaces, easy to park....much easier to reverse.

Engine size and spec is fantastic .....it really packs a punch.

Drives really well.....very economical on fuel. Parks no probs in our drive...less intrusive maybe than a coach

Don’t think I’d ever go back to a coach again.

After quite few issues and niggles....all sorted between marquis and Peugeot without issue, it’s just brilliant!!! Love it!

Takes our original driveaway awning, even fits better, if we need to add more space. We have been away for few days in summer.....5 of us and all managed comfortably.

I do however appreciate the fairford is bigger than the symbol, but we like the distinct 2 separate areas the fairford gives.

It’s easy making up the beds too. 

Generally   I find driving a pvc easier and I think more fun. It’s less rattly too.

Good luck with your search!
I'll second all that Lorfal

ps did you get your Spinflo's for the cooker top sides gimmefive
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Tell me why to buy a Van conversion??

Post by Lorfal Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:20 am

Not yet, but will get them for sure. Haven’t managed away really since we came home from outer Hebrides in sept. Life is busy! Lol but will get some hopefully before next trip......which I hope will be in next few weeks. Got hab service to do so will build a few days away around that.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Min from LFE Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm

rgermain wrote:
dbroada wrote:and to add to Gromit's post, are there any physical limits that apply. I don't have a C1 licence so <3500kg was a must and we only have a little over 6m to park in so that was a limiting factor too.

That is a very valid point, parking and licence, even if it does not apply at time of purchase, 70 soon comes around!

Of course you can always use remote parking, but it would not suit us, as we like just getting out during the week for walks on the beach.
---------
Richard

Hi,
New Member here,
looking through chat, saw this one. I'm 70 buying a 1997 Symphony Boxer. Discussed weight with vendor, which is well under 3500kg. but have to consider weight of water, petrol, bikes etc?
is there something I haven't thought about or know? is there a good way of ensuring you stay under the 3500kg? Is there something I can read for guidance?
Thanks
Peter
Min from LFE
Min from LFE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony Boxer
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Min from LFE wrote:
looking through chat, saw this one. I'm 70 buying a 1997 Symphony Boxer. Discussed weight with vendor, which is well under 3500kg. but have to consider weight of water, petrol, bikes etc?
is there something I haven't thought about or know? is there a good way of ensuring you stay under the 3500kg? Is there something I can read for guidance?
Thanks
Peter
My Petrol Symphony wieghs a bit under 3 tonnes, can't remember the exact weight. That gives you around 500kg [half a tonne] to play with - licence wise.
As it says on the Hitchikers Guide - Don't Panic up!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Its important to be under your axle limits.Your vehicle is rated at under 3500.IMHO

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:19 pm

As Micky says, I too would expect your Symbol to have a Maximum Permissible Mass that is less than 3500 kilos - so you must ensure that the total vehicle weight is less than that. And then you will have a maximum weight specified for each axle, so you must load the vehicle so that neither of those is exceeded. These weights should be shown on the data plate attached to the vehicle, and should also be described in more detail in the Owner's Manual - though I'm not sure that A/S were very good at doing manuals back in 1997.

But, as Frank says, there is generally no need to panic on the smaller conversions - typically you will be more constrained by available space than by lack of payload - though that does of course depend on what you plan to carry!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:19 pm

We started by hiring a Pilote coach build for two weeks. I am Ford orientated so the Fiat base vehicle put me off before I tried the Pilote. After looking at a lot of coach builds and van conventions we decided Autosleeper was the best choice. Wanting a Ford base limited us to van conventions or a larger coach build. We found a Duetto in our budget range. It was Ford based and I could fit in the beds as singles or a double. It was a great van but rotted faster than I could afford.
Early retirement gave us money to re-think our choice of motorhome. We stumbled upon a couple of Rienza couch builds in a caravan dealers. The rear lounge and masses of storage was too good to miss. Yes it's big and we have to think about were we go some times.
We try to find sites with bus stops near by and use public transport. So far we have found it a great motorhome and made good use of it.
I you feel comfortable in a motorhome before you buy it that is a good sign. We have heard of disasters people have bought because some one told them to buy the same as them. We all have our own ideas of what we want. The Nuevo and Symbol are nice Motorhomes but not our choice. Good hunting, enjoy what ever you buy.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 am

You can get narrow coach-built vans, mine is only 2.2m wide but it's not an AS.   I've also changed the mirrors for short arm close fit so now it's great.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:31 am

roli wrote:Spend a few months, yes months looking around at all vans Coachbuilts and Panel Van Conversions, even those that may not appeal at 1st sight. Dont be tempted to buy during this "vetting" period.   After say 3/4months then you should have a short list and consider other factors like the better dealerships and spares availabity you get with VW, Ford, Mercedes than say Peugeot.
When this process is completed decide on a dealer by reading reports on here and elswhere and of course word of mouth.    Lowest price does not mean best dealer.   

Keep Looking up!
Excellent advice, it took us 12 months to buy our first van.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:23 pm

Min from LFE wrote:
rgermain wrote:
dbroada wrote:and to add to Gromit's post, are there any physical limits that apply. I don't have a C1 licence so <3500kg was a must and we only have a little over 6m to park in so that was a limiting factor too.

That is a very valid point, parking and licence, even if it does not apply at time of purchase, 70 soon comes around!

Of course you can always use remote parking, but it would not suit us, as we like just getting out during the week for walks on the beach.
---------
Richard

Hi,
New Member here,
Thanks
Peter
Peter

There is only one sure way to do this, empty it out of everything apart from the furnishings and fixtures, of course
Drain the water tanks
Drain the loo flush tank
Note the fuel contents
Now get it weighed with you in it, this will be the base weight to work from, remember to have both ends weighed independently to get the axle weights.

Now you know where you're starting from, no guessing.

Now, everything which goes in must be weighed.
A litre of diesel weighs 830 grammes, so a tank top up of, say 30ltr adds 25Kg (the unladen weight allows for 3/4 tank)
A litre of water weighs 1Kg so adding 50ltrs to the tank adds 50Kg
The toilet flush tank may have 10ltrs added this is another 10Kg to add
Weigh all other heavy things individually, camping chairs, bicycles etc add these to the total
Allow 20Kg for clothes and shoes
Allow 80Kg for lady, handbag, toiletries etc

Now you are much better informed as to what each item adds to the total, I know its a bit of a chore, but, once you have that figure sorted, then you know your payload, and, therefore, how much more you can put in it and be legal.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:07 pm

don't forget food, especially tinned....bottles of wine, sauces, jars of whatever etc...
bedding is far heavier than you'd guess, as are maps, books, electrical equipment (Ipads, laptops, phones, Chargers etc...) along with tools....and do you take bikes?....electric/batteries/chargers etc.

what extras came with the van....awnings, sat systems, extra batteries, solar panel....some of this might will be taking that base weight higher than perhaps you thought...

as well as Ian excellent advice, I'd note the axle weights as these have to be withing their limits along with the overall MTPLM.

When youve done all your calculations, load it up and weigh it again and then move to plan B....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jacktherussell Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm

A lot of valid points on here, for me the Kingham is the best in the Autosleeper range.
One person can lay in bed whilst the other is up and about, eating,watching tv. Our former Symbol layout meant you both had to be up. Making the bed up on return from a good evening out was horrendous. Despite this we had years of wonderful holidays.
jacktherussell
jacktherussell

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolyan Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 pm

Dbvwt wrote:WOW, what can I say.

I’ve been on forums before but you guys (and girls) are just brilliant.
So much useful info so a big thanks.

As it stands my choice is still leaning towards the compact Symbol but I’m in no rush so will get out and about and give all the models consideration.

Thanks again, David
So how is the search going?
Rolyan
Rolyan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3