The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion??

+30
-mojo-
boxerman
Min from LFE
Mindhyg
inspiredron
mikethebike
Bulletguy
the wheelbarrow
Gromit
kaspian
roli
Heanorboy
marbarsymbol
bikeralw
carlc
PitStopCrew
chrisvesey
Rolyan
Lorfal
pstallwood
Ramblers
mpbarrett
Dare-devil-dennis
ymfb1
Tinwheeler
oldfred
dbroada
rgermain
Jarjar
Dbvwt
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion?? Empty Tell me why to buy a Van conversion??

Post by Dbvwt Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi, I joined the forum a couple of weeks back with the intention of getting some info before buying a Nuevo, somewhere between 2015 and new.
I visited my local Marquis dealer today to have a look at a brand new Nuevo. I spent a lot of time looking at the exterior and also sat inside picturing myself as the owner...... at this point I have to explain I’m a Motorhome newbie but not new to tents, camper vans and for the last 3 years an Eriba Puck caravan.
As nice as the Nuevo was, there was a fairly new Symbol in the showroom which I Just happened to sit in while waiting for my coffee. 
It felt right despite not being what I thought I wanted (a Coachbuilt)

So basically, any info/experience of the Symbol would be great.

Thanks, David

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion?? Empty Re: Tell me why to buy a Van conversion??

Post by Jarjar Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:50 pm

It's the only way to do it. Get inside the van, open all the cupboards, make the bed up, forget all your preconceptions, take it for a drive. We're on our third and hopefully final van. First one was an impulse buy, the second was a VW camper because we'd always wanted one, now we have a Symbol. Having looked around every campsite we stayed on and invited ourselves into loads of vans, we found the one we wanted. Good luck with the hunt, don't rush to spend your hard earned cash.
Jarjar
Jarjar

Male

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion?? Empty Re: Tell me why to buy a Van conversion??

Post by rgermain Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 pm

I might be wrong, but do check the bed sizes, the single make up seem a bit tight to me, or you may prefer the double, just think about getting out in the middle of the night if nature calls.

Our choice was the Warwick Duo, a tad longer, but we find the beds in single mode work well, ( I do have to sleep with my feet under the wardrobe) but has never caused a problem.

Enjoy the van whatever you get.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 pm

To put you back on track.....
We bought A Nuevo to get the large space. Our first two vans were converted panel vans and we missed the large slide door but we didn't miss the feeling of living in a tube once we were able to take longer holidays.

Many people who take long breaks in their panel vans but the Nuevo feels right for us.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:52 pm

If you are not sure then perhaps buy an older van conversion or coachbuilt. You won't lose so much in depreciation if you then want the other one.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 pm

For us, the narrower width of the PVC was the clincher. The wider coachbuilt proved cumbersome at times in narrow lanes and the steel sides of the PVC are more resilient to twigs and sticks protruding from hedges.

Whatever you decide, dbvwt, you’ll know when you’ve found the right van. You may not be able to quantify it but it will feel right. Is that how the Symbol feels? I suggest you think for a few days and then go back for another look.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by ymfb1 Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:09 pm

We have never owned a coach built, very happy with our Kingham, if we wanted larger would seriously consider an A class.
ymfb1
ymfb1

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:28 am

Thank you for all the replies, lots of really useful comments.

The Nuevo is a lovely van and the storage for such a compact van is brilliant.
This may seem a strange thing to say but I think it IS the right Motorhome for me.....but not at this moment in my life!
I base this comment on the type of travels/activities I currently enjoy, primarily frequent ‘mini trips’ of around 1-3 days walking, cycling, kayaking etc... (have you tried getting a 12 foot kayak in a 
coach build!!).

A smaller van conversion does have quite a few compromises but it did ‘feel right’ for me yesterday. I think a trip back to have another proper look with a tape measure is my next step.

Jarjar, as you have a Symbol can I ask you about storage.

1- Where do you store your wheel ramps, hookup lead, chairs etc..?
2- Can you get your bedding and pillows above the cab?
3- What is the storage under the main sofa like?

Many thanks, David
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am

For the 2019 range, Auto-Sleepers have introduced the Symbol plus. Now that IS a nice van.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am

Unfortunately with a lovely price tag I would imagine smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mpbarrett Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:14 am

We thought we wanted a coachbuilt van for the space. Hired one in Exeter went down to cornwall and found to was too big for a lot places we wanted to go to. Just to much of a pain going down small lanes.
Best thing we did, came back went to a few dealers and sat in many many vans. We now have 2011 Symbol ES and love it. Really like having the doors open seems to bring the outside into the van. We have done trips of over 3 weeks in Europe and UK and find its great.
So if you are new to motorhomes I would suggest hiring one and trying it out.
Mike
mpbarrett
mpbarrett

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 am

We progressed to our Symbol via Mazda Bongo and a Devon Conversion rising-roof camper so it feels spacious and extremely comfortable. The 2011 model with the high roof and level floor is our preference but whatever you choose you must try out the beds to see if you will sleep comfortably and sit in the seats to ensure that relaxing in the evenings is a pleasure. 

Our model has a gas bottle storage access on the outside for hookup leads and general camping paraphernalia. The levelling ramps fit under the long settee and the bedding stores under the third rear seat. I suppose the biggest problem we had was the storage of the high back camping chairs but this was resolved by strapping them to the back of the passenger chair when travelling.

Everybody alters the van to suit their circumstances and our biggest modification was to leave the settee back support at home and purchase 2 large cushions from Dunelm that we share when lounging in the evenings.

Always try out your future purchase it's what the showroom is for.

Hope this helps .... Jeff

Male

Member Age : 81
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 am

When we were first looking we sat in a panel van conversion - a Duetto - in the rain and decided it was too confining. We then bought two coachbuilts before buying a panel van conversion - IH Tio RL - which we had for 9 years and really liked. We got our new Bourton early last year and whilst it is nice to live in on site because there is more room I would still buy another panel van if we were changing.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Firm believer if it feels right then it probably is. Have had a coach before but wen5 for pvc last year and have not regretted it.

Thought we might struggle for space...Not so! We have learned to be more economical with packing. 

Thought we would need more floor space for dogs......not so! Lol they have plenty space but it took them a wee while to find their own spot.

We use ours as our car too. One set of tax, insurance etc etc.....

It is longer than our coach , but narrower, much easier to negotiate tighter spaces, easy to park....much easier to reverse.

Engine size and spec is fantastic .....it really packs a punch.

Drives really well.....very economical on fuel. Parks no probs in our drive...less intrusive maybe than a coach

Don’t think I’d ever go back to a coach again.

After quite few issues and niggles....all sorted between marquis and Peugeot without issue, it’s just brilliant!!! Love it!

Takes our original driveaway awning, even fits better, if we need to add more space. We have been away for few days in summer.....5 of us and all managed comfortably.

I do however appreciate the fairford is bigger than the symbol, but we like the distinct 2 separate areas the fairford gives.

It’s easy making up the beds too. 

Generally   I find driving a pvc easier and I think more fun. It’s less rattly too.

Good luck with your search!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolyan Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 pm

I can't tell you why to buy one, but I can tell you why we bought one.

We bought a PVC over a coach built, because we preferred the open doors, particularly the back doors.  We really didn't like the usual small side door on the coach built models.  Throwing those back doors open at their full 180 degrees is great.  Plus when its too hot and sunny for me outside, but 'er indoors wants to sunbathe, we are still in close contact.  Yes, there's a full length awning, but we don't always want to put that up. 

The PVC style was the right width etc for driving the country roads around the Lakes and Scotland that we frequent.

We checked out the symbol, but the layout wasn't exactly right.  The beds at the front were a little too short, and a bit off a faff to make up.  We didn't like the kitchen at the back closing off the rear doors.

So in the end we went for the Sussex Duo (the same as Warwick Duo to all intents and purposes) which is slightly longer than the Symbol/Duetto.  The layout gives the rear lounge, right next to the wide opening rear doors, which is exactly what we wanted.  Including the ability to sit up in bed having a morning coffee with the rear doors flung wide open watching the sunrise (depends where you are of course)!  The single beds are made up in seconds.  The beds are easily long enough to stretch out (I'm nearly 6').  Its fully kitted out, it's very easy to drive, both of us drive it with no problems.  Plus we get an easy 35mpg without being too careful.  We haven't had any trouble whatsoever parking it in supermarkets, long stay car parks, park and rides, etc.  Its suitable for the roads we drive and the places we stay.  We've found that there is plenty of space; after a full season using it we still havent't filled all the cupboards.  With a bit of forethought there should easily be enough.

BUT...it's all very subjective, and for every panel van conversion fan, there's a coachbuilt fanboy.  Definitely take the advice on here to work out exactly what you want, sit in them, and imagine you being in them parked up on site.  Good luck, enjoy the purchase process.
Rolyan
Rolyan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:16 pm

ALWAYS think width, the most important dimension. Any non PVC is close to 1ft wider than my Warwick.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi, 
Storage in a symbol? We found we could sleep OK across the van so all the extra cushions stayed in our loft. We bought two memory foam toppers and used  thick and thin quilts thick on top when it was cold, these items plus pillows were stored under the settee. Under the single seat fitted the hook up lead, levellers, water hoses, triangular table base plus other various items. The overcab cupboard had external blinds, picnic blanket, grip mats for getting off mud and lots of items I can't think of. Gas locker had two calor gas bottles plus spare gas cannisters for the portable stove. Top lockers had coffee, tea and tinned food plus medicines, lots of space left for small items. Once it was organised we never had any problems, our problems were all with the vehicle. We always wanted an eriba Puck, we even hired one but when we came to buy the prices had skyrocketed
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by PitStopCrew Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm

done both (coach and PVC) and coach was just too big (wide/tall).  Last two vans have been PVC, the first was a bid fiddly with the bed (Tribute conversion) and wasn't that comfy as the bed was cushions from the sofa/side chair) so after 5 years took the plunge and went to the AS Kingham which has a fixed double bed (superbly comfy) and a brilliant living space.  it's a bit longer than the Tribby but not that you would notice on the road.  It drives brilliantly, the air suspension on the rear keeps things pretty smooth and minimises rattles and the engine will pull all day long.  The shower is a bit tight but good enough for the rare occasions that the overnight stop doesn't have one and we are both pretty diddy too which helps.  I use ours a lot for weekends away cycling/running and it's perfect for that with a tow bar mounted cycle rack.  Longer trips are no problem as we have more storage places that we can fill.  Each to their own, but others above have said, get in it, shut the doors and poodle about in it as if it was yours - if it feels right then it probably is!
PitStopCrew
PitStopCrew

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Tell me why to buy a Van conversion?? Empty pvc

Post by carlc Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:32 pm

we have a very nice 2011 Warwick duo for sale .we are looking at getting a new one.more info [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
carlc
carlc

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 pm

IanH wrote:ALWAYS think width, the most important dimension. Any non PVC is close to 1ft wider than my Warwick.
I agree, van width is an important consideration.
The OP was intending to buy a relatively recent model Nuevo. Mine is an older, narrower model, in fact, virtually as narrow as a modern PVC.
 We love the openness of a coach built, but are put off new models because of the width, so our next van may be a PVC in spite of us both hating the wide side door.
 In my opinion AS made a big mistake making newer Nuevo versions ever wider, there was no need for it, the original was ample wide enough to sleep crosswise.
 This extra width takes away much of the versatility of this short coach built van.

Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 pm

We have had
Devon VW (Camper)
A/S Renault Recro (Hightop camper)
A/S Talbot Talisman (coachbuilt)
Autocruise Starfire (like an A/S Nuevo coachbuilt)
IH Tio R ( 6.0m PVC)
IH Oregon RL (6.3m PVC)
A/S Symbol (5.4m PVC)

Each had its good and bad points, Each was right at the time but the A/S Symbol suits us now as it is almost a Camper size with the benefit of full motorhome facilities.
Good luck with your choice but my vote finally landed us with our 2014 Symbol and we haven't found anything else that size, that offers as much for the price.

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:48 am

Simple Maureen SWMBO wont have a coachbuilt or A class so a PVC it is

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 am

WOW, what can I say.

I’ve been on forums before but you guys (and girls) are just brilliant.
So much useful info so a big thanks.

As it stands my choice is still leaning towards the compact Symbol but I’m in no rush so will get out and about and give all the models consideration.

Thanks again, David
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:36 am

If you are looking at a Symbol the Dorset is the same van a Marquis special with a couple of extras.
in 2013 they changed the layout slightly and this was the main reason we picked our 2012 Dorset we didn't like the new kitchen layout and also the seating changed which made the older version much much easier to use as single beds.
Happy hunting
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:51 am

Spend a few months, yes months looking around at all vans Coachbuilts and Panel Van Conversions, even those that may not appeal at 1st sight. Dont be tempted to buy during this "vetting" period.   After say 3/4months then you should have a short list and consider other factors like the better dealerships and spares availabity you get with VW, Ford, Mercedes than say Peugeot.
When this process is completed decide on a dealer by reading reports on here and elswhere and of course word of mouth.    Lowest price does not mean best dealer.   

Keep Looking up!
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next