The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daewoo Microwave goes POP

+14
bertb
meanchris
Bad Penny
chalkywhite
-mojo-
AutoSleepy_Don
biggles999
justlooking
Gillyhar
Paulmold
Quilter
Tinwheeler
RogerThat
Windychippy
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Daewoo Microwave goes POP  Empty Daewoo Microwave goes POP

Post by Windychippy Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi all
We are away at the mo. and when we attempted to microwave the rice the microwave goes ZZZZZZ, POP.   A quick switch of and then tentatively back on, away it goes with the plate turning and the timer counting down to Zero.  But the result was cold rice.
I have looked through the forum pages but can't find any mention of ZZZZpoping micros only loose and falling micros.
Has anybody experienced this happening.   The micro is just over 2 years old and maybe used approx. 30 times.   The belling micro at home has been used min. 3000 times (faultless)

Thanks for any info
                Windy
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Daewoo Microwave goes POP  Empty Re: Daewoo Microwave goes POP

Post by RogerThat Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:46 pm

If yours is enclosed in a wooden surround like ours is, I'd suggest it's overheated. 

If we heat two microwave meals back to back we getting a worrying burning plastic smell half way through the second meal!

Quite why AS didn't put an extractor fan behind it is simply beyond me... they went to the effort of putting a vent there, why didn't they add a little computer-sized fan too?!

Makes no sense...
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi, It went ZZZZZZ Pop as I switched it on so no overheating. Thanks for reply.
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Our m/w at home did that. It was terminal, I’m afraid. so_sad
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes, we had the exactly same thing happen in Spain in February: lights and turntable working as normal but no heating. Daewoo told us there are 2 possibilities: the magnetron, in which case it would be too expensive to replace or the internal fuse. We tried to find someone who could deal with it but no luck and we were unhappy about dismantling it ourselves, partly because of discharge problems and partly because of potential nasties in the insulation. 

In the end we bought a new one and took the old one to the tip. Ours was 4 years old and Daewoo were clearly not going to offer any guarantee extension. In the UK you might well find someone willing and able to sort it.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 pm

With microwaves costing less than £50 these days, it's probably not worth repair, let's face it, it's only an hour's labour.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Not quite as simple as that Paul. We spent some time with tape measure finding one that fitted the space and which could be screwed safely in place.  It's also white, not as classy looking as the original black Daewoo.

Not all loss however as we got 3 heavy duty recycling bags and a calendar from Crevillente tip...
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyhar Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:20 am

Exactly the same happened to us a couple of years ago.  That night’s dinner was steak, salad and raw jacket potato!  The oven gave all the appearance of working; lights on, turntable & countdown timer working, but nothing cooked.

My husband removed the microwave, checked things with his meter and found the HV fuse had blown.  We sourced a replacement for about £10 (4ourhouse.co.uk). The original was 550mA but the replacement supplied was 650mA.  Simple to install with spade connectors.  Microwave going OK now, but it doesn’t get a lot of use.
Gillyhar
Gillyhar

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks all for replies,
 As Paul says probably not worth the trouble of repairing.
 Called Mark at AS who told how to remove, then popped into Morrisons, Wells and pick up a new £50 micro with a 3 year guarantee. 6mm less in width and depth and 10mm less in height and stylish black. Model No. 2164019 for anyone who needs to replace theirs.

Cheers Windy
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Daewoo Microwave goes POP  Empty Dagwood Microwave - Just eat Pasta

Post by justlooking Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:22 am

Hi,
Our Dagwoo microwave refuses to operate on anything other than the Pasta button setting. I tried to have it changed at the two year point under warranty with AutoSleeper but was told that the microwave is only warranted for a year. I considered buying a new one as they were still for sale about 6 months ago when I looked, at about £70, but decided to stick with the good old Pasta button. Works fine.
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : IH 630 RL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by biggles999 Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:00 pm

fitting a microwave to an auto sleeper  what do they consume leccy wise and how about battery flattening ?
biggles999
biggles999

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:00 pm

biggles999 wrote:fitting a microwave to an auto sleeper  what do they consume leccy wise and how about battery flattening ?
My (standard fitment) is 800W mains (EHU) only, so cannot use the battery.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Very few people seem to run a microwave from a leisure battery (via an inverter) these days. When I bought the Celex from B1lb0s I asked whether it was an option, and they said that they used to do it, but got so many warranty returns for trashed batteries that they stopped.

It can be made to work, but it's always going to be tough on the battery - a traction-quality battery would probably survive better than any other type.

I decided I could live with mains-only on mine.

[BTW, you can buy 12V microwaves, but that just means you're getting one with an inverter built-in! Microwaves also usually take a peak current that is way higher than their average power rating, so as a rule of thumb you need to double the power rating of the inverter.]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I have a Warwick xl and like many people was concerned about the lack of ventilation around the microwave. I purchased 2 x 60mm computer fans. This size fan dropped  into the plastic air vent and secured with small cable ties, only needed to cut a very small piece out of the vent to accommodate fan.  I purchased a on/off switch matching existing ones and fitted it in the side off the micro wave housing. Power came from the strip light on the underside of the housing.  This seems to work very well at keeping things cool.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 am

chalkywhite wrote:I have a Warwick xl and like many people was concerned about the lack of ventilation around the microwave. I purchased 2 x 60mm computer fans. This size fan dropped  into the plastic air vent and secured with small cable ties, only needed to cut a very small piece out of the vent to accommodate fan.  I purchased a on/off switch matching existing ones and fitted it in the side off the micro wave housing. Power came from the strip light on the underside of the housing.  This seems to work very well at keeping things cool.

We have no concerns about the microwave overheating. There is space above and below it, a substantial vent on the side cabinet wall ( which, unlike many, we do not have coats hanging over), and a vent outside, above the external fridge vents. More in fact than many domestic microwaves in cabinets.

The fact that on the same trip we lost 2 kettles and the Truma heater mains voltage fuse as well as the microwave caused us to have AS fit a surge protector. This does seem to have done the job on several subsequent occasions.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:40 pm

When we bought our 2014 Broadway, the first time we used the microwave it took twenty minutes to cook a jacket potato. Every few minutes it kept cutting out. When we took it back to the dealer for checking, they said it was on the point of catching fire, already some wires were burnt.

As this was at Tewkesbury, they shot off to AS and came back with a new one and replaced it. They said at the time, AS had recieved a faulty batch from Daewoo.

I would certainly have it checked.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Bad Penny wrote:When we bought our 2014 Broadway, the first time we used the microwave it took twenty minutes to cook a jacket potato. Every few minutes it kept cutting out. When we took it back to the dealer for checking, they said it was on the point of catching fire, already some wires were burnt.

As this was at Tewkesbury, they shot off to AS and came back with a new one and replaced it. They said at the time, AS had recieved a faulty batch from Daewoo.

I would certainly have it checked.
Hi,
If I lived nearer that might be an option, but as the cost of fuel and the time involved would be to much decided better to replace myself and obtain a 3 year warranty as well, but cheers.

Windy
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:58 pm

I have had a go at replacing the Microwave with the new one. It looked to be a straight forward job. Once the underslung extractor was remove it's just remove four self tapping screws ( 3.5mm ) and out she slides. On examination of the underside of the old microwave it was noticed that the thin steel base had a bit of damage cause by the microwave moving up and down as we hit all the potholes until the screws are torn out. I notice the damage is limited to the R/H/S/ which is where the weight is.
I will now not be putting the new microwave in until I can come up with a solution to the damage as don't want the new micro going the same way.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Can you make a cushion to absorb the shock?
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by biggles999 Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:52 pm

guys thank you for your words  I drove down to Newport today  long trip for me I tell you  and purchased the 2005 Timberland Freedom from them, they are going to re MOT it service it change all belts I gave them a long list of little things we found not quite right and they are to fix all without quibbling   now I call that good customer care, unfortunately its going to be Friday dinner time before it will be ready  but hay ho
the camper has a full cooker and a fitted LG microwave I assume for when we site up with leccy
biggles999
biggles999

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 pm

biggles999 wrote:guys thank you for your words  I drove down to Newport today  long trip for me I tell you  and purchased the 2005 Timberland Freedom from them, they are going to re MOT it service it change all belts I gave them a long list of little things we found not quite right and they are to fix all without quibbling   now I call that good customer care, unfortunately its going to be Friday dinner time before it will be ready  but hay ho
the camper has a full cooker and a fitted LG microwave I assume for when we site up with leccy
Hi biggles999,   have you posted in the correct section, Cheers
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by biggles999 Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 pm

just a follow up to my new adventure beginning  wave
biggles999
biggles999

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Bad Penny wrote:Can you make a cushion to absorb the shock?
Hi, had thought about a 6mm sheet of firmish foam but still think the vibration will eventually tear the screws out of the thin steel.
Another idea would be to get a 4mm thick aluminium sheet and pop rivet this to the bottom of the microwave and then self tap up through the shelf and into the 4mm sheet. Going to see if I can get some aluminium tomorrow, update later.
Cheers Windy
Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 pm

Gillyhar wrote:Exactly the same happened to us a couple of years ago.  That night’s dinner was steak, salad and raw jacket potato!  The oven gave all the appearance of working; lights on, turntable & countdown timer working, but nothing cooked.

My husband removed the microwave, checked things with his meter and found the HV fuse had blown.  We sourced a replacement for about £10 (4ourhouse.co.uk). The original was 550mA but the replacement supplied was 650mA.  Simple to install with spade connectors.  Microwave going OK now, but it doesn’t get a lot of use.

That would have been my answer.

I did the same with the, difficult to find, Samsung Junior microwave on our syndicate boat, as nothing else would fit in its space.

As far as I know, it's still working 5 years later. allthumbz
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Windychippy Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Windychippy wrote:I have had a go at replacing the Microwave with the new one. It looked to be a straight forward job. Once the underslung extractor was remove it's just remove four self tapping screws ( 3.5mm ) and out she slides. On examination of the underside of the old microwave it was noticed that the thin steel base had a bit of damage cause by the microwave moving up and down as we hit all the potholes until the screws are torn out. I notice the damage is limited to the R/H/S/ which is where the weight is.
I will now not be putting the new microwave in until I can come up with a solution to the damage as don't want the new micro going the same way.
Update.

So, had a think, then managed to get a local engineering firm to cut me a piece of 4mm aluminium sheet.  This was stuck with CT1 to the underside of the microwave plus a few 4 pop rivets. The idea of the Aluminium is to form a thicker base and with the use of some 30 x 5mm screws through the supporting shelf and into the Alu. sheet and hopefully this will stop the microwave moving up and down as we hit all the potholes. Of course this might mean that the shelf its self will one day be destroyed.  Not sure a 10kg lump of steel should have ever been mounted in such a way.  Anyway the wife can now have her porridge each morning  hugegrins       Second pic shows a bead of silicone (part cured) to form a cushion under the base.  Timber beads to help slide micro into position.    Can't say this was easy but it is do-able and it's got to be better than just replacing the micro for the next owner to complain later as the micro tears out of its fixing point.   Point of interest, when lowering the extractor cover I noticed quite a bit of grease inside the wire mesh filter scratch head  must be all the bacon and eggs, will clean more often in future snigger

Windychippy
Windychippy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next