The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on value of trooper - going to view

5 posters

Go down

Advice on value of trooper - going to view  Empty Advice on value of trooper - going to view

Post by Zand Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi, I am going to view a VW Trooper tomorrow and wanted some advice on value. See lots on eBay etc but never really know what the sell for

V reg (2001)
2.5 TDI, 102 bhp
130K miles
No awning, bike rack etc so base van
3 owners
Needs cam belt and water pump
Missing original decals
Currently wanting £11,250

Thanks in advance for your input.

Alex
Zand
Zand

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : TBA
Vehicle Year : TBA

Back to top Go down

Advice on value of trooper - going to view  Empty Re: Advice on value of trooper - going to view

Post by -mojo- Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:57 pm

Troopers tend to keep their value very well, but it's impossible to say whether that is the "right" price or not, without seeing it. Some people can't stop themselves advertising banged about, rusty vans as "immaculate", so the description should be considered as pretty meaningless until you actually see it.

When we were looking we went to see a van of about that age that had the words "absolutely no rust at all" in the description - and that would appear to be true when viewed from the side. Sadly it had lived its whole life in Cornwall, so that appearance vanished when we looked underneath...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Advice on value of trooper - going to view  Empty Re: Advice on value of trooper - going to view

Post by DavidT Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 am

Zand wrote:V reg (2001)

V reg is not 2001. It is September 1999 to February 2000
DavidT
DavidT

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 am

Hi wave 

That’ll be today then. If you get a chance to read this before you go a couple of thoughts:

Apart from the obvious, check for rust behind the back trim at the top , particularly above the windscreen. Water tends to get trapped there and it’s difficult to fix (as one of my neighbours found out to his cost).

Why are the decals missing? I’d just check that it is actually a Trooper, we sometimes see vans for sale as AS models that aren’t. If you’re not sure compare it with pictures of troupers for sale online and check for a build number in the glove box.

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:48 pm

So, what was the conclusion Zand?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Zand Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm

So wnt to see the van. The interior was in good condition, but the proper heating did not work, but apart from that could not fault inside.

Engine seemed really good, turned out had car belt and water pump 10k miles ago (documents to prove) and recent clutch and CAT so all the main things done, think was probably going to need brakes. Tyres all in good condition.

The outside had rust on sills that had bad repair, and was starting to rust on the roof, and because of this have decided to steer clear as did not want to insult the the seller with an offer of what I thought was a realistic price for condition.

Seller wanted £11,250 I would have thought £9k was more realistic

Thanks again for your input. Search continues.
Zand
Zand

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zand Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Also was a Y reg. it a V as I had put.
Zand
Zand

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am

Well done, it’s hard to turn down a camper that you have been looking for , for a few wks, months. I made the mistake a few years ago buying what looked like a perfect Symbol, a van I had always fancied. Looking back, I still can not believe I bought it. After much welding and a proper MOT I sold it and said never again! A month later I bought my current A/S, a Montana pop top. It looked awful, covered in leaves and moss  and full up to the roof with old camping gear and other stuff. I asked the seller to at least take  the stuff out so I could see it and went back a few days later. Checked underneath, a bit manky but sound, body dented but do-able, and the interior worn but salvageable. 3 years later and I have the perfect camper. So if it dos’nt feel right then walk away, as you did.
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down