The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding door window blinds

4 posters

Go down

Sliding door window blinds Empty Sliding door window blinds

Post by bristol170kj Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Whilst away I found a screw on the floor by the entrance door.  It's a small screw and after a while we found where it came from when the window blinds started to rattle and was loose in the frame when closing.  As I say we where away and had limited tools.  I noticed that although we found only one screw there were no other screws holding the blind in place.  With screw driver I thought I'd at least put one back but couldn't locate the hole in the metal to take the screw.  So wedged the blinds with a couple of spare corks (surprising how many corks we had laying around scratch head ).

Now we're home I'm looking to do a better job, although the corks do seem to be holding.

I'd really like to remove the internal cover so I can get to the blinds and metal works (the big piece of board covered in fabric) but there are screws I cannot reach because of the kitchen sink unit and the microwave unit.  Has anyone managed to remove this cover?  How did you do it?

Also, can anyone with a Kingham (or similar) confirm that there are in fact four screws holding the window blinds to the door?  And are they screwed into the metalwork of the door?  All the other window blinds in the van are screwed into wood battening?

MTIA

last sentence edited "window blinds" not windows
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Sliding door window blinds Empty Re: Sliding door window blinds

Post by Heanorboy Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Bit easier for me but could you reach with one of these

Sliding door window blinds Th?id=OIP.jQglJaUEiPMD3QZ61U-N3gHaHa&w=214&h=201&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Bit easier for me but could you reach with one of these

Sliding door window blinds Th?id=OIP.jQglJaUEiPMD3QZ61U-N3gHaHa&w=214&h=201&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Heanorboy wrote:Bit easier for me but could you reach with one of these

Thanks, possible the lower screws but would still struggle with the upper ones.  By the time I've closed the door enough to reach them there is no room between the microwave cabinet and the door.  I bet Autosleeper prepared the door first, then installed the furniture.  Or maybe they remove the door entirely?   I dread having to get to the internals of the door let alone this little project.

I'm starting to think I have to drill and screw the blinds back in-situ.
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Have a look at 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Snap! We were in exactly the same position coming back from our holiday.

We found that we were able to access all of the screws holding on the internal panel by sliding the door open. This meant the more awkward ones could be reached from the left hand side of the microwave unit (as you look at it). From memory, I think there was just one that we needed to use a small screwdriver to get to.

At the top of the blind there were two brackets. The screws we'd picked up off the floor were those securing the bracket to the door. As the screws were inserted vertically with just a small gap above the blind, the tool posted above would have been very useful.

Watch that the caps covering the blind tensioner screws don't fall out when you take the panel off - ours did.

Tommy.
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:08 pm

I have taken the sliding door card off the door as I have recovered it, then found that the blind frame is relying on the door card to hold it in place. it is loose at the bottom, but fixed at the top / sides I think, haven`t investigated further as putting the door card back this weekend so will look then.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 pm

bristol170kj wrote:Whilst away I found a screw on the floor by the entrance door.  It's a small screw and after a while we found where it came from when the window blinds started to rattle and was loose in the frame when closing.  As I say we where away and had limited tools.  I noticed that although we found only one screw there were no other screws holding the blind in place.  With screw driver I thought I'd at least put one back but couldn't locate the hole in the metal to take the screw.  So wedged the blinds with a couple of spare corks (surprising how many corks we had laying around scratch head ).

Now we're home I'm looking to do a better job, although the corks do seem to be holding.

I'd really like to remove the internal cover so I can get to the blinds and metal works (the big piece of board covered in fabric) but there are screws I cannot reach because of the kitchen sink unit and the microwave unit.  Has anyone managed to remove this cover?  How did you do it?

Also, can anyone with a Kingham (or similar) confirm that there are in fact four screws holding the window blinds to the door?  And are they screwed into the metalwork of the door?  All the other window blinds in the van are screwed into wood battening?

MTIA

last sentence edited "window blinds" not windows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well thanks to everyone who made suggestions to my predicament.  I spent this afternoon fixing the window blinds.

I've managed to remove the door card eventually.  With a helper outside holding the door in various positions it is just possible to get to all the screws and carefully remove the board.

The window blind is held in place with 6 metal angle brackets, 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom.  I had lost the 3 screws from the top.  Again by sliding the door back and forth it is just possible to get the screws back with fingers, a small screw driver and pliers.  I have a feeling Autosleeper probably attach the brackets first then offer up the blinds, but I didn't want to risk removing the blinds.

Whilst the door card is off I've taken the opportunity to re-glue the covering and that will go back on tomorrow when dry.

Thanks again everyone.  Ready for the next trip now.....
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down