The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto sleeper fairford

+10
kaspian
Peter Brown
AutoSleepy_Don
jennyandpeter
Paulmold
Maasai Warrior
Gromit
-mojo-
Lorfal
Karlburn
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Auto sleeper fairford Empty Auto sleeper fairford

Post by Karlburn Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi all
I’m new to the forum and hopefully soon to be a owner of a fairford, the van I’m looking at is on a 16 plate and it has the older 2.2 engine, not the latest 2.0hdi. What in your opioins is a fair price, the condition is excellent and it has done less than 8k miles
Thanks karl
Karlburn
Karlburn

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Auto sleeper fairford Empty Re: Auto sleeper fairford

Post by Lorfal Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Depends on spec of van I’d think that would set the price. Hardly seems used at all on that mileage!  

I’m assuming you’ve been inside it? 

It’s a comfortable van. I thought we’d struggle for storage after having a coach, but we manage to take everything we need.

I think reports on 2016 model that the front bed was a bit tricky to make up, and if you use it as a double be prepared to carry all the infill cushions. We can use the front bed as a single without carrying the extra cushion# on board.

2 average sized adults can manage the rear double fine, though I’d say it is a small double.

Things we like about the fairford.......2 separate areas , both have opening doors to enjoy the views lol , love having rear doors open right out.

Kitchen area is compact but a good space for good prep. Water easy to fill and empty.

Washroom is small but manageable , we use site facilities if available.

I can’t think of anything really bad about it but had lots of teeething issues including water ingress through rear doors, rare, but it’s worth asking......to be sure
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlburn Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Lorfal, I have been inside and I’m very impressed,however my search continues as I did a hip check ready for purchase and there is finance on the van!
So if anybody is selling a Fairford please get in touch.
Karlburn
Karlburn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Karlburn wrote:as I did a hip check ready for purchase and there is finance on the van!

I wouldn't necessarily rule out a vehicle because of that. It may be possible for the seller to provide you with proof that the finance has been settled before you drive it away, and you may get a good price because this situation can scare off a lot of buyers.

Obviously I would recommend that you do plenty of research on the subject if you think it may be worth considering further!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 am

Hi Karlburn

Please take a moment to introduce yourself here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck with the prospective purchase.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Some of you may already be aware that the AS Fairford is on test in August’s MMM. 
It looks really good and should do for £57,495! It is meant to be a 4 berth, but as the article says it’s better used as a two berth. When I first saw it at the NEC a couple of years ago I couldn’t get my head around the lack of descent cupboard hanging space, not realising that provision is at floor level, how silly of me! Just perfect for that anorak! lol4

Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:15 pm

I made exactly the same comment when I read the review. I don't understand the door on each side shown in the photo either.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:38 pm

So you can open it with the front bed made up.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:02 pm

My point is not the two doors, but how little wardrobe space you have for two people let alone four, in my opinion of course!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 pm

If anyone wants to read the review it's been published online [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:31 am

Like me, some fairford folks don’t use the wardrop for its intended purpose.  Plenty overheads for clothing and we never have any stuff that needs hanging up normally. Wet stuff dries in shower room or outside when pitched up. I would use it as a 3 berth fairly comfortably, using front bed as large single, so no cushions to carry.

We took the parents away for few days, so there was 4 of us, but I would never do it without the driveaway awning. We slept in that leaving inside for the olds lol. 

I’ll be looking for the article for sure
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:54 am

I looked at the Fairford (and Stanway) when they came out and wondered why AS decided not to make use of the cab seats as part of the front lounge?
this has taken away the most comfortable seats in the van and effectively wasted the extra half metre which could have made the lounge far larger and more open....and more comfortable....
I wondered what are the specific advantages of the route they have taken with the lounge....?
surely, the dinette formed is smaller than it would be if the cab seats were incorporated?
is it to do with the bed design?
many brands have managed to make an equally (not very) decent front lounge bed so I don't see any specific advantage there....
yes, the cab area becomes a nice dumping ground for 'stuff' but, personally, I would much prefer a decent supportive swivelled cab seat to relax in....
it may be that the cab seats do swivel and that the dinette seat can be placed along the offside window forming an L shaped half dinette as used by many other brands...
If this is the case, I wonder why all the tests I've seen show the 'seat module' placed directly behind the cab seats....
yes, I can see there is some storage under, but this could still be used with the unit placed longitudinally....
is this a case of form (new idea...) over function?
I just don't see any (new idea) advantages, just less space and comfort...
pehaps users can give their opinions on how it works in practice?

also, good point raised re the shower hose.....looks like the wash basin is best used to the right (away from the loo so that there is standing room) and the shower is also on the right, with the basin sliding out of the wayy to the left.....so where is the shower hose fitted......on the left.....away from the basin and the shower.....again, why?

ps.....this is a constructive post, debating (not criticising) design issues and picking up on my viewings of the vans in the flesh and from the articals I've read, including the most recent one...
I'm interested in design and am happy to query elements that don't seem 'right' to me....
I would also query such items on any other branded forum, not just AS.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:25 am

I guess AS will be glad they don't employ bolero boy as a designer, with the current design, the Fairford model is selling like hot cakes.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:26 am

Have Autosleepers ever done anything right in your opinion Chris!!!

Your constant slagging off really does get a bit tiresome, specially when you have no axe to grind as you are a Carthago owner, and appear never even to have owned an Autosleeper in the past.

Please desist, as it serves no purpose other than to irritate members who are perfectly satisfied with their vans. Any others who have problems are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves.

Sorry to be so blunt, but as you noted a few days ago, every one of the Moderators has tried several times to give you the hint, but you steadfastly refuse to take it.

The P.S. you just added is entirely irrelevant, and sounds quite disingenuous. If you wish to "query such items on any other branded forum" that's your prerogative, but we would rather you stopped doing it here in such a negative fashion - if at all.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:59 am

Come on lads , we are all big / old enough to take some criticism of our 'beloved ' brand !  No need to enforce silence on someone who just needs converting and seeing the light!  Learn to live with the fact that we are not all A/s fan boys.  
 Why not try to win them over with informed debate rather than gag them. Dave- pot , kettle -black  comes to mind as you constantly bash Whale - a British company in favour of Shurflo from the US ....tut tut !  At times this is starting to feel like certain other motorhome forums ,   Whistle1
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:10 am

for goodness' sake, you two....
comments were passed above, querying the design of the wardrobe where folk 'don't understand it'.....and this is perfectly acceptable, with no chastisement dished out....
I didn't say the Fairford design was right it wrong, merely opening debate about why the departure from the norm, where (like others) I 'didn't understand' the specific design......
so, are you gong to write to the Bromleys for criticising the placement of the shower hose?...
you're right, I don't have an AS, but I'm still interested in their (ond others') design....
yes, I have a Carthago, but i don't say 'mines better (or not) than yours' merely interested in design of any brand....
it's such a shame that you two (and a couple of others) can't see any sort of design debate as anything other than brand criticism...and are so protective that you leap on my every post...
what do you want from a forum? a continual back patting series of posts ?
the Fairford lounge is a departure from 'the norm'....I don't see the advantages, I asked others to enlighten me...
the shower placement hasn't been thought through, as pointed out by the article.....
what do we do when we debate things.....just highlight the good stuff and forget any form of critical debate?
there are one or two other posters on this forum who are not completely enamoured with AS yet I've never seen the mods jump all over them in the way you do to pretty much anything I post.
it's been obvious from day one that I an an interloper who doesn't just post about how wonderful the product is...that would be a pretty boring forum, wouldn't it....?
if genuine design debate is always seen as criticism to be stamped out, that would be boring too....
why not reply constructively and let's debate things rather than get all stroppy?
so, Dave and Peter, I won't ask you what you see as the advantages of the Fairford lounge and do you agree with the Bromleys re the shower install as none of this obviously interests you.
why is this forum open to folk who don't own an AS, it's likely that these folk with have ideas related to their own non AS experiences which may no marry with your ideal....
anyway....thanks for making the hint so concrete...
i really do have no axe to grind and wish you well with the forum and hope you continue to keep all those interlopers with differing views wel, away....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:55 am

kaspian wrote:Come on lads , we are all big / old enough to take some criticism of our 'beloved ' brand !  No need to enforce silence on someone who just needs converting and seeing the light!  Learn to live with the fact that we are not all A/s fan boys.  
 Why not try to win them over with informed debate rather than gag them. Dave- pot , kettle -black  comes to mind as you constantly bash Whale - a British company in favour of Shurflo from the US ....tut tut !  At times this is starting to feel like certain other motorhome forums ,   Whistle1
K, thanks for the post....
presumably, if I was an ASowner and I had posted a query about a particular design issue, then this would be OK and normal forum debate would ensue?
because I don't have one (but have been in very many) similar comments (according to the mods) must be anti AS and disruptive to the forum and its members' well being.....
the other forum that comes to mind that just won't allow criticism is the Caravan Club.....
thanks again for the post but it's obvious my face doesn't fit
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 pm

I LOVE MY FAIRFORD
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 pm

(mod - inappropriate word removed)....done a huge post but only one line sent

You all just got let off lightly
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlburn Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Going to view and hopefully buy a fairford on Saturday, so to all the owners is there anything horrible I need to look out for?
Karlburn
Karlburn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am

I wouldn’t say anything truly horrible to look out for. Check that seat legs have the little adjustable feet on them, small issue I know but annoying! Check the cocktail tables are present and their stands are stowed in the wardrobe. Check the buttons on the overhead lockers are working and not loose. It’s a pain to have them flying open because of poorly fitting catches. Check the felt around the windows is properly stuck down.

Do you know why it’s been traded in? Of course dealer might spill you a yarn in that. 

It’s worth asking them to throw in , for free, extra external corrugated fresh and grey waste drainage hoses.

I hope you will enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours. We had about 9 months of teething and back and fro to dealers, but all ok now. The worst was water ingress via rear doors, but I have been assured by Peugeot this was very unusual .
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am

As to the 2 living areas......it’s great! It suits us....though might not suit others. It just works for us and if you don’t use the front bed, don’t take the cushions , it gives a good amount of storage.

We went inside many vans with front lounges using swivel cab seats as part on dinette area...... not comfortable at all, didn’t feel like we were using a proper table. Didn’t like the swing out double silly wee round tables. Also because you have a large, and proper dining table it makes the front bed large, robust and strong. Something we didn’t find you got in other models.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 am

Oh and don’t forget , if there are no carpets down , make sure they are stowed somewhere
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Karlburn wrote:Going to view and hopefully buy a fairford on Saturday, so to all the owners is there anything horrible I need to look out for?
Your aviator suggests the Fairford you hope to buy is almost brand new. The aforementioned comments are most valid given that they are from an owner of same van. But with any likely purchase, it's how you personally see it working for you and even more appealing if it looks unused. Congratulations on your forthcoming ownership. smile!

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlburn Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks all, I have done my homework and it is the only layout that will work for us and grandchildren, I have had many problems with damp in coachbuilds and caravans so a panel van it must be, I’m getting a bit of a wobble regarding the money but I’ve done package holidays to death so it’s time for some new adventures
Karlburn
Karlburn

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next