The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident T4 bed slats

3 posters

Go down

Trident T4 bed slats Empty Trident T4 bed slats

Post by Dom1997 Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi, 

Our upper bed slats are suffering with age, and need replacing / refurbishing. Is there anyone that sells these of the shelf ? or is it going to be a DIY job / try some general upholsterers ?

If I take on the job myself it would be good to know where I could get replacement material from, just in case I make a mess of it first attempt. It looks like the material is just wrapped round and stapled, though I'm concerned something will be glued, and I'll damage it separating it from the old plywood. 

Thanks for any advice
Dom1997
Dom1997

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Trident T4 bed slats Empty Re: Trident T4 bed slats

Post by -mojo- Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Dom1997 wrote:Hi, 

Our upper bed slats are suffering with age, and need replacing / refurbishing. Is there anyone that sells these of the shelf ? or is it going to be a DIY job / try some general upholsterers ?

As far as I'm aware they are completely unique to that A/S model, so I would guess nobody is going to be making a living by selling spares off the shelf! DIY if you want it done cheap, upholsterers if you want to pay lots of money for someone else to do it (why is re-upholstery so expensive?).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:00 am

Probably the time involved  take of seat frames to start with, then take off old coverings and yes they are glued, sometimes stapled. solidly so, as I am finding out from the Topaz I am reupholstering.  , I found the best way after hours of scraping, and using a hair dryer, hot water, that acts quickly, if foam backing is under the material as in the wall board at side of sink. cleaned up and dried, ready to be recovered, after I have bought the foam, that is the easy bit.

It is unbelievable how much work is involved, covering 28 buttons  is not a five minute job. plus undoing all the screws, you can bet some are not easy to get out, I have 6 screws in the table support in the floor to get out, cannot budge them, soaked in the easy release screw stuff and still no joy, the carpet is up apart from where this support is, relaying vinyl flooring. eventually. 

So I can understand why upholstery seems to be expensive, theres is always the quick way, a video on line showing how to do it,  leave old material on cushions place on new material, and wrap cushion like a parcel, hand sew back seam, alright if you find that acceptable. I don`t. 

goneoff     Sorry, just explaining last reply to OP

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Dom1997 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 am

daisy mae wrote:Probably the time involved  take of seat frames to start with, then take off old coverings and yes they are glued, sometimes stapled. solidly so, as I am finding out from the Topaz I am reupholstering.  , I found the best way after hours of scraping, and using a hair dryer, hot water, that acts quickly, if foam backing is under the material as in the wall board at side of sink. cleaned up and dried, ready to be recovered, after I have bought the foam, that is the easy bit.

It is unbelievable how much work is involved, covering 28 buttons  is not a five minute job. plus undoing all the screws, you can bet some are not easy to get out, I have 6 screws in the table support in the floor to get out, cannot budge them, soaked in the easy release screw stuff and still no joy, the carpet is up apart from where this support is, relaying vinyl flooring. eventually. 

So I can understand why upholstery seems to be expensive, theres is always the quick way, a video on line showing how to do it,  leave old material on cushions place on new material, and wrap cushion like a parcel, hand sew back seam, alright if you find that acceptable. I don`t. 

goneoff     Sorry, just explaining last reply to OP

I'm a little OCD so need to do it properly, or I won't be happy. At least with the bed slats which is all I need to do I can get to all the screws easily enough. I'll pop a couple of boards down to a local upholsterer and get a quote, if to expensive I'll knock up some temporary ones for use while I take my time doing a proper job on the originals. If nothing else hopefully the upholsterer can point me at where to buy replacement matching material, then I can just make new slats.

Thanks
Dom1997
Dom1997

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down