The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water filler hose size

3 posters

Go down

water filler hose size Empty water filler hose size

Post by vwt4 Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 am

Hi all
I am trying to again replace the water filler inlet and cap, the new fitting says the size is 40 mm, when I removed old inlet the size of the hose as best as I can measure is approx 38mm, has AS altered the the hose size at any time ? also can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace the hose completely from tank to inlet easily.
thanks  
mike 
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

water filler hose size Empty Re: water filler hose size

Post by -mojo- Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:20 am

vwt4 wrote:has AS altered the the hose size at any time ?

It's quite likely that the parts that A/S used in the mid 90's were still imperial - 38mm is 1.5 inches. Whether you can get a 38mm hose onto a 40mm spigot without a massive fight depends to an extent on what the material is and how much it has deteriorated in over 2 decades. From memory, the softer PVC-based hoses expand quite a lot in boiling water, but the ribbed hoses don't seem to as much.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 am

AS use different size hoses to the normal caravan stuff sold in caravan shops (i.e the semi rigid convoluted stuff) as I found out when I needed to replace my waste hose. The only place I found other than AS to stock it was CakTanks where I believe AS get their supplies anyway. Worth checking their website (if you can understand it).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:17 pm

I've fitted a new hose and filler cap to a 1998 Topaz, but it was about 13+ years ago. I'm sure the installation will be fairly similar, even though your Trophy is on a SWB. I bought the filler and hose direct from A/S parts at the time. I bought extra hose length just in case I had a problem in the future. Found the excess length in our loft recently, which I can still use on my current van if I need to in the future.

Just be careful feeding the new hose through the floor to avoid catching it on the floor edges. You should get a feel for how the hose flexes when you remove the old one. 

Good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

water filler hose size Empty hose refit

Post by vwt4 Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:53 pm

OK, so I now have a length of 40mm hose,  a new filler and cap, please has any one got any good ideas for re-threading the new hose to the holding tank, I can only see a 3ft length of the old hose at the back of a cupboard where it attaches to the filler inlet, A/S did not make these things easy to refit, as far as I can tell the hose passes down by the propex heater  somewhere and comes out under the van, is it likely to be attached to somewhere I can't see or could it be pulled through (carefully)
mike
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down