The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning - is it just for sun?

+11
Tengah74
Slaphead
Lorfal
RogerThat
Quilter
Kingham
burlingtonboaby
Gromit
dbroada
PLOUGHLIN
Sally
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Awning - is it just for sun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Awning - is it just for sun?

Post by daisy mae Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Has anyone used the gazebo leg weights,? forget the actually name.

They fit around the feet of the legs,  l can fill with water or sand , they are very weighty and hold the legs in place even in high winds, I have four left over from when we had a gazebo now have a permanent fixture, so am thinking of using two of those.

when empty they are very light and easily stored.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 pm

On the flip side, the more you tie your awning down, the longer it will take you to get it wound back in safely if a squall blows up.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:50 am

Dare-devil-dennis wrote:On the flip side, the more you tie your awning down, the longer it will take you to get it wound back in safely if a squall blows up.

Dennis

I haven't found this with our Omnistor.  I slacken the Tie Downs enough to unclip them from the top pillars, then slide the feet out from the ground plates without disturbing the pegs and wind the canopy in.  I can then put the canopy out again in exactly the same place - only takes minutes.  Even on the calmest of days it only takes a rogue gust of wind to wreak havoc on an untied canopy.

Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:35 am

RML wrote:
Dare-devil-dennis wrote:On the flip side, the more you tie your awning down, the longer it will take you to get it wound back in safely if a squall blows up.

Dennis

I haven't found this with our Omnistor.  I slacken the Tie Downs enough to unclip them from the top pillars, then slide the feet out from the ground plates without disturbing the pegs and wind the canopy in.  I can then put the canopy out again in exactly the same place - only takes minutes.  Even on the calmest of days it only takes a rogue gust of wind to wreak havoc on an untied canopy.

Rich..

Likewise, I can have the 'wind protection' removed very quickly in calm conditions, but being a solo traveller, I wouldn't attempt to fully release the protection if caught out by a sudden squall and my method is time consuming, but keeps the awning safe.

When I have to roll the awning away in in windy conditions, I leave the awning legs out with foot plates pegged, slacken the storm strap slightly, sufficient to roll a couple of feet of awning in, before extending the legs (now at an angle) and repeat this a few times until there is enough awning in, to safely release the strap and legs.

This method is a bit slow, but means that although the strap is loosened, it would never allow the awning to be blown over the roof.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2