The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LPG adaptors

+6
harrysp
Gromit
StewPotch
Gus446
dbroada
Sally
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LPG adaptors Empty LPG adaptors

Post by Sally Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:36 pm

I collected my new (to moi) van today, and after a (disappinting) handover, I drove it to storage.

During the handover, the guy showed me the LPG fill point, and said that many places need adaptors, but I would have to work out for myself which I needed!!!

He’s given me just enough information to worry me, but not enough to provide me with any solution.  So, I’m hoping that the kindly folk on here can explain if I do actually need adaptors in the UK.  I can’t post a photo of the fill bit as the buffoon managed to trap the wire with the filler cap and now I can’t get it off.  Until I do, I think it was a brass looking pipe with a thread on, but I can’t be 100% sure.

Many thanks for your help.

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

LPG adaptors Empty Re: LPG adaptors

Post by dbroada Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:58 pm

I only ever needed adaptors in Europe, never in the UK.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gus446 Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 pm

You only need adaptors for Europe, get on eBay for not a lot, otherwise just enjoy if you can get the cap off, all the best
Gus446
Gus446

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:36 am

These are similar to what we have:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We've been to Europe a couple of times, starting off with a full tank, and never needed to use them so far.
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks for the responses everyone, you’ve helped put my mind at ease.  Assuming I can actually get the filler cap off, I’ll get it filled up.

I still can’t believe that he got it stuck and left it with me.  To be honest, the more I think about it the more disappointed I am with the handover, and this was a large well known dealer.

Ah well, you live and learn.

Thanks again
Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:52 am

These are exactly what we have...http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-3-part-european-fill-point-adapter-kit.html, thanks Stew.
They are very easy to use and need no tools, simply hand tight into the existing vehicle gas fill point. We have use 2 of the 3 now, one in Portugal, another in France. We may well use the rh one in the pic, in Germany this next trip. There's an instruction sheet in the bag which tells you all you need to know.
As a general rule, for us anyway, we now leave UK with both full LPG and Diesel. Having sailed on the first ever trip straight into a Froggie tanker drivers strike! 

You'll be fine, don't worry! wave
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 am

IanH wrote:These are exactly what we have...http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-3-part-european-fill-point-adapter-kit.html, thanks Stew.
They are very easy to use and need no tools, simply hand tight into the existing vehicle gas fill point. We have use 2 of the 3 now, one in Portugal, another in France. We may well use the rh one in the pic, in Germany this next trip. There's an instruction sheet in the bag which tells you all you need to know.
As a general rule, for us anyway, we now leave UK with both full LPG and Diesel. Having sailed on the first ever trip straight into a Froggie tanker drivers strike! 

You'll be fine, don't worry! wave
Hi Ian

My biggest worry was because ‘Mr Handover’ suggested that I would need adaptors in the U.K.  That’s where I’ll be doing most of my travelling, so from what I’ve learned on here I should be fine. 

I think they were in the ‘we’ve got your money so off you trot little girl” but fortunately I’ve got some wise and friendly people on here that I know will help in the coming months smile!

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:14 am

Hi Sally

Mr Handover was talking through his fundamental orifice!  shrugg

You do not need an adapter for the UK, and don't worry too much about the filler cap either. Even if you have to get some burly gorilla friend to force it off, and possibly break the lugs, it's very cheap and easy to replace.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unless you plan to travel widely in Europe, you do not need adapters (plural) at all. You will only need this one,

which simply screws onto your existing fill point, and actually makes the filling process a lot easier. The filler gun for this dish type adapter just pushes up against it, and when you pull the trigger four little claws come out and grab the rim of the dish. Much easier than the UK version.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (pictured above) is the only one you will need for France, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, Poland.

With respect to advice given earlier, none of it is incorrect, but don't be conned into buying a whole set of adapters, when you are likely only ever to need one of them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gromit on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:20 am

There may be isolated places in the UK that need adaptors but if they do exist the garage should have a loan one so feel free to travel.

I no longer have a tank to look at but I am certain the filler cap is more a cover than a seal so you can try a bit more force than you think is prudent.

Your handover didn't clash with a football match did it? Ours did and the information given to us reduced in quality as kick off approached. My final question, asking how we lowered the corner steadies got the answer, it hasn't got them. He even got on the floor to confirm this. They must have grown on the way home.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:52 am

dbroada wrote:There may be isolated places in the UK that need adaptors but if they do exist the garage should have a loan one so feel free to travel.

I no longer have a tank to look at but I am certain the filler cap is more a cover than a seal so you can try a bit more force than you think is prudent.
Yes it is Dave. Less than a fiver for a new one, so no problem if it gets broken.

Are there places in the UK that need an adapter? As ever I'm quite happy to learn, but it's a new one on me! Why would any garage use a non standard gun which didn't fit any British car or motorhome filler??
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:59 am

Gromit wrote:Hi Sally

Mr Handover was talking through his fundamental orifice!  shrugg

You do not need an adapter for the UK, and don't worry too much about the filler cap either. Even if you have to get some burly gorilla friend to force it off, and possibly break the lugs, it's very cheap and easy to replace.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unless you plan to travel widely in Europe, you do not need adapters (plural) at all. You will only need this one,

which simply screws onto your existing fill point, and actually makes the filling process a lot easier. The filler gun for this dish type adapter just pushes up against it, and when you pull the trigger four little claws come out and grab the rim of the dish. Much easier than the UK version.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (pictured above) is the only one you will need for France, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, Poland.

With respect to advice given earlier, none of it is incorrect, but don't be conned into buying a whole set of adapters, when you are likely only ever to need one of them.

Hope this helps.
Hi Dave - yet more good information.  Perhaps the people who frequent this forum could get a job doing the handover.

I’m going to go back to the van at the weekend armed with some pliers, and I’ll have two weetabix before I go.

I really wish I could help others on here, to payback the help I’ve had.  So I can offer assistance, advice and encouragement with:

Bread making*
Marmalade
Wildlife ponds
Birdwatching
Bumble bees

*I am now genuinely rolling on the floor laughing, because on my first comment, I actually started to type “I currently have one in the oven”.  Even I can see how that would have gone down, and I haven’t got the best sense of humour hugegrins

All the best 
Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 am

The LPG cover should have a bit of plastic retaining "string" attached so you don't remove it completely and drive off without it.

Under normal use it just isn't possible to get it stuck, so I would guess that the plonker who did your handover got the "string" jammed between the cover and the housing when he shoved it back in. I've just had a firtle with ours (to be sure I'm not talking rubbish) and it is quite easy to trap it.

If this is what has happened, first try just pulling the cover straight out of its housing. He may not have turned it to the locking position, so it might only need a hefty tug to get it out.

If that doesn't work, wrench the cover anti clockwise, but beware. It only rotates about an eighth of a turn and will come against a stop, so you won't need to turn it much before you try to pull it out.

You shouldn't need the pliers. Take someone with strong hands if you can't manage it yourself.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 am

dbroada wrote:There may be isolated places in the UK that need adaptors but if they do exist the garage should have a loan one so feel free to travel.

Your handover didn't clash with a football match did it? Ours did and the information given to us reduced in quality as kick off approached. My final question, asking how we lowered the corner steadies got the answer, it hasn't got them. He even got on the floor to confirm this. They must have grown on the way home.
Hi Dave

I’m not sure about football, but he must have had something on his mind.

I arrived at the assigned time, to find there were no carpets.  The reason; he had just wet washed them and they were no rollled up, wet, in the cupboard.  

Walking around the van, he kept saying things like “I’m not used to this, so I’m working it out as I come across it”.

He showed me the external television point, but didn’t explain what it was for.  Same with the external gas point, he showed it but didn’t explain anything about it.  There was no television there ( I had a 21” Avtex included as part of the deal).  It was supposed to be set up ready to demonstrate.  But he said he had no knowledge of this, so he went to the shop and brought one, but it’s not set up or anything.  It’s sat in a box.  He told me I would have to start drilling holes to feed the cable through (it’s a different power connector).

Inside, his explanation of the van driving controls was “it’s like any van or car controls, they are all there you’ll soon learn them”.  Then he explained how difficult it was to use cruise control and warned me that if I was in the wrong gear, I could stall the van on the motorway.  He advised me not to that as it was very dangerous!

He needed to check the tv aerial, so he climbed on my seating with his great big safety boots still on to look through the skylight.  I could have smacked him.  I wish I had.

To be fair, he showed the gas cooker working and explained the fridge.  But the heating and water controls were wizzed though in just over a minute.  I took a video on my phone but it’s not clear.  However, he did tell   me that I could find explanations on you tube!  He never demonstrated the heating or hot water.

The awning handle was missing on my first viewing, so one was supposed to be supplied.  He didn’t know aboutthis, so he had to trot off and find one.  Then he demonstrated it by winding it out 2 feet.  I asked him to show me it done fully. He did, but after winding it back up he couldn’t get the handle out.  He tried for over 10 minutes then had to go get someone.  As a result I wont dare use the awning in case I can’t get the handle out.  Marvellous.

Then to cap it all off, there was no EHU cable supplied, so I had to buy one.  The argument was that it’s a used van so it comes with what it comes with.  It might be used but it’s the most money I’ve ever spent other than on a house.  When I left, there was no fuel at all, so I had to call into a garage, 500 metres down the road.  I filled the tank, at which point I discovered that there is a faulty fuel gauge sensor, so I now need to sort that under the warranty.

So to say I’m not happy is an understatement.  But it helps to be able to rant on here.  I know everything will get sorted out, life has taught me that it all works out in the end, but I honestly expected more from such a reputable dealer, easpecially as they’ve had it 6 weeks since I paid the deposit, as this was the first date available for collection.

And breath..........

Love Sally
X

P.S. please, don’t anyone tell me that anything above is a major issue, because I’m a bit upset, and I get really ugly if I cry.

P.P.S. Please don’t tell me that I should have made a fuss and had it done correctly.  I know.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:32 am

Gromit wrote:The LPG cover should have a bit of plastic retaining "string" attached so you don't remove it completely and drive off without it.

Under normal use it just isn't possible to get it stuck, so I would guess that the plonker who did your handover got the "string" jammed between the cover and the housing when he shoved it back in. I've just had a firtle with ours (to be sure I'm not talking rubbish) and it is quite easy to trap it.

If this is what has happened, first try just pulling the cover straight out of its housing. He may not have turned it to the locking position, so it might only need a hefty tug to get it out.

If that doesn't work, wrench the cover anti clockwise, but beware. It only rotates about an eighth of a turn and will come against a stop, so you won't need to turn it much before you try to pull it out.

You shouldn't need the pliers. Take someone with strong hands if you can't manage it yourself.
That’s exactly what the plonker did.  He trapped the plastic string bit, you can see it sticking out.  He saw this and said, oh, I’ve trapped it, I’ll finish the walk around before I fix it.  Then he forgot!

With no disrespect to him, he was all togged up in his mechanics overall, safety boots, mucky t-shirt etc.  But the people after me, who were buying what looked like a brand new caravan, got the fully suited salesman in tie and shirt.

Typical.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 am

Hi again Sally
We must stop meeting like this or people will talk!  lol4

I just read your post in reply to Dbroada.

I would strongly suggest that you take the van back to the dealer and demand to see the manager. Then show him the listed details of your pathetically inadequate handover, and insist upon another one given by someone about 1,000 times more competent.

I can feel some empathy for your "plonker" as everyone has to learn, but without being sexist I would expect a handover to a lady customer should be even more comprehensive than to a male. To let loose the apprentice to practice on you was inexcusable.

You have paid for a proper handover, which typically lasts anything up to two hours, so go back and demand one. There's nothing very complicated (and you have no major problems from what you've said) but there is a heck of a lot to learn all at once. Even the most experienced of us can become overwhelmed by too much information delivered too quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

P.S. I may be wrong but I think an EHU cable should have been supplied. It has to be a new one by law, for obvious health and safety reasons, but even if the dealer is not obliged to provide one (?) it's pretty stingy of him to charge you for an item that is an essential component in the basic function of the van.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Gromit wrote:Hi 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (pictured above) is the only one you will need for France, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, Poland.

Hope this helps.
With apologies to Sally for hijacking your thread, Gromit do we need a different adaptor for Germany and Holland? 

Sally, back to your thread, great advice to go back to the dealer and demand to see someone who can clearly explain the equipment. You have paid for this service and it is an essential part of the deal. Good luck.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:40 pm

No problem Harry - it will all be useful for Sally and others I'm sure.

For Germany (and Ireland) you need one of  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  but unless you intend to spend a long time within Germany, is it worth bothering? Holland is the same as the UK, so no adapter needed.

This is a very useful website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Well worth a browse! 

LPG adaptors M10_to_ACME_Filling_Point_LPG_Adapter_Poland_Italy_to_Ireland_Germany_Belgium__92037.1449335114.220.220

I've got one somewhere, but never used it as we don't usually spend long enough in Germany to need a top up. It's easier to top up en route through France or Holland, since the French dish adapter is so easy to use and you don't need one in Holland.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Sally, the other Dave, as usual, speaks a lot of sense. Go back and ask for the bits you are unsure of demonstrated again. They sold you a van and you have every right to expect to use it.

I too expect that a hook up lead to be supplied, by law. I may be wrong on this but again agree with Dave, it's a bit stingy on such a large purchase to make you buy one.

The awning release is definitely a knack I never mastered. I would push and pull it this way and that. I shout "this is impossible" and as Heather got to within a foot of me the pole would fall out. It is easy but I never worked it out. Certainly one for demonstration.

Cruise control is fine. It's almost impossibleto stall a diesel but by all means push the throttle yourself if you thinks it's labouring or if you just want to overtake the vehicle in front. Cruise control does take a little bit of getting used to but in the right conditions is good.

The most important thing is now that you have your van get out there and enjoy it. You know we are only a WIFi link away.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Gromit, thanks, that’s really helpful. We have two, and I looked on the  mylpg site and neither looked like the one for Germany. We intend to be there about 2 weeks, and then to Holland, so hopefully gas won’t be needed until we arrive in Holland.

Harry

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:28 pm

For all of these posts, its always worth asking at an LPG station if THEY have the adaptors. Don't forget a French MH in Germany will need one, a Dutch MH in Portugal will need one, I have no experience, but have heard that many if not most do and if they have one they'll lend it to you, after all, they're their to sell gas!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 pm

IanH wrote:For all of these posts, its always worth asking at an LPG station if THEY have the adaptors. Don't forget a French MH in Germany will need one, a Dutch MH in Portugal will need one, I have no experience
I filled up in Belgium and the garage had the adapter (free loan), and, a man to show me how to use it.

Given how long a tank lasts me, and the fact I can fill when the tank is half full, I am not planning to buy my own adapters.  See how it goes. up!
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Sally, there are two types of fill points that are fitted to a MH.
one sits in a 'hole' and will normally have a bayonet fitting which is the std UK connector....so no need for an adaptor for the uk. it will also have a female thread to accept adaptors for Spain, Italy etc.

however, there is also a flush fit type, with a plastic cover as In my photo. this fitting does not have the bayonet fitting but will accept adaptors for continental countries.....BUT it does need an adaptor for the UK, as shown in the photo.

so, whether you need an adaptor for the UK depends on the type of filler they have fitted into the van.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 pm

bolero boy wrote:Sally, there are two types of fill points that are fitted to a MH.
one sits in a 'hole' and will normally have a bayonet fitting which is the std UK connector....so no need for an adaptor for the uk. it will also have a female thread to accept adaptors for Spain, Italy etc.

however, there is also a flush fit type, with a plastic cover as In my photo. this fitting does not have the bayonet fitting but will accept adaptors for continental countries.....BUT it does need an adaptor for the UK, as shown in the photo.

so, whether you need an adaptor for the UK depends on the type of filler they have fitted into the van.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hi Bolero - it’s definitely the one you first described.  But I didn’t know there were 2 types, so that’s something else I’ve learned. 

Many thanks
Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:09 pm

As far as I know (I could easily be wrong) Autosleepers only fit the ones "in a hole", but Boleroboy doesn't have an A/S van so he may not know that.

Practically speaking anyone with the flush fitting one on a UK van wouldn't need to buy a UK adapter, as it should be provided with one.

All knowledge is good though!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul O Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Photo of gas connection from closed to open steps. Note turn cap to left then pull open[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paul O
Paul O

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next