The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I play my tv sound through the habitation

+3
Cymro
Gromit
crisp
7 posters

Go down

Can I play my tv sound through the habitation Empty Can I play my tv sound through the habitation

Post by crisp Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Has anyone any idea if the habitation speakers can be accessed via the white, yellow and red ports on the van system. I was hoping that the better quality speakers would mean I could hear the telly better. Or maybe I just need to get the hearing checked.twiddle_thumbs
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Can I play my tv sound through the habitation Empty Re: Can I play my tv sound through the habitation

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 pm

crisp wrote:Or maybe I just need to get the hearing checked.twiddle_thumbs
I just did. Only got the hearing aids on Thursday, and they are amazing even though "only" National Health.

Walking the dog on Thursday evening I was terrified by the racket made by birds in the hedgerow. Some of them sound as if they are sitting on my shoulder - it's amazing to discover how much I wasn't hearing.

Trouble is I've lost the excuse of "not hearing" the gaffer!!  Whistle1 snigger
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Can I play my tv sound through the habitation Empty Re: Can I play my tv sound through the habitation

Post by Cymro Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:02 pm

On my 2015 Peugeot / Nuevo, there is a jackplug socket inside the central glovebox beneath the radio. It's possible to connect a TV or similar to that socket, and thence to the radio's habitation speakers etc (I think you select "Aux"). I do that. for an ipod.

I'm lucky insofar as my radio isn't plagued by the 20 minutes cut-off, but it might be necessary to hop up at intervals.

I assume that, having the correct wires and connections, it would be possible to connect a tv etc direct to those audio sockets to which Crisp refers. I suppose it would be 2 phono plugs on one end, and a jackplug at the other for the tv's headphones socket. But I don't know which 2 of the 3 coloured sockets you'd use, nor do I know whether - having so connected - the TV would power the habitation speakers or whether it would still be necessary to turn on the radio. 

With luck one of our knowlegeable members will explain.  

Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 pm

crisp wrote:Has anyone any idea if the habitation speakers can be accessed via the white, yellow and red ports on the van system. I was hoping that the better quality speakers would mean I could hear the telly better. Or maybe I just need to get the hearing checked.twiddle_thumbs
I am 99% sure that the answer is NO. The habitation speakers are attached to the vehicle radio. The phono sockets (white, red and yellow if I recall) are for use with a video satellite decoder, video camera, video recorder or even a PC to connect one of those to a normal TV. The idea is that the unit goes in the cupboard which has the socket plate with its video output connected to the phono sockets (red -right audio, white - left audio, yellow - composite (usually low resolution) video).  The sockets near the TV are then connected to the TV.  They are purely for convenience so that, in particular, a satellite receiver, can be hidden away.  Having said that, I don't know how the satellite receiver remote control can work through the locker door!  scratch head scratch head

Male

Member Age : 83
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Gromit wrote:
crisp wrote:Or maybe I just need to get the hearing checked.twiddle_thumbs
I just did. Only got the hearing aids on Thursday, and they are amazing even though "only" National Health.

Walking the dog on Thursday evening I was terrified by the racket made by birds in the hedgerow. Some of them sound as if they are sitting on my shoulder - it's amazing to discover how much I wasn't hearing.

Trouble is I've lost the excuse of "not hearing" the gaffer!!  Whistle1 snigger
Wait till you do a "tinkle". You will remember the reason for the name!  lol4 lol4 lol4

Male

Member Age : 83
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks for the responses. I tried all the right cables but I think the idea of the aux is good Cymro will try that later if I can get a lead long enough!!!
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:14 pm

inspiredron wrote:Wait till you do a "tinkle". You will remember the reason for the name!  lol4 lol4 lol4
You are dead right Ron.

That was my first startling experience on getting home from hospital.

What a noise - now I understand why Sian sometimes complains that I've woken her when I go for one (or several) pees during the night! I almost ran out of the loo in sheer terror!!  snigger
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Crisp

Have you investigated a pair of those little extension speakers that seem all the rage with the kids these days?

There are loads on Amazon for less than £20, and I expect they can be plugged into the telly. Small they may be, but massively bigger than the tiny (tinny?) speakers in a 16" telly.

Last edited by Gromit on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Good thinking Dave but yet more to carry maybe I'll just crank up the sound, I am sure those on the next pitch will enjoy listening too!
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:41 am

Most TVs have a headphone socket for which I keep a pair of headphones in the Motorhome for watching tv when the other half wants to read or in fact goes to bed.

I purchased a long lead which plugs into the tv and is routed under the seating with a inline socket at the other end which I plug my headphones into.

It may be possible (not tried it yet) to have a similar long lead with the appropriate 3.5 minijack plug on at both ends.

Plugging one end into the headphone socket on the tv and the other end into the radio input socket of the Peugeot which is in the glovebox of the Motorhome 

Then select the appropriate input on your Motorhome radio.

I’ll try and let you know.

Terry 
Such leads are available on eBay
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:15 am

Terry's described exactly how I play my iPhone through the radio and the van's speakers. See no reason why can't do so for TV but haven't tried. But check to see if the radio cuts off!

Luckily I now have a hand-me-up Bose soundlink portable bluetooth speaker, which merely sits alongside my phone, from which by bluetooth I can play my music, with awesome sound. Again, haven't checked if my tv has bluetooth.

If I didn't have that, I think I'd find room for one or two extension speakers as Gromit suggested.

Cyrmo
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I also use a Bose speaker on the TV and for my iPhone for internet radio in poor DAB areas (of which there are many)

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 pm

yes, I use a separate speaker (most can be wired or Bluetooth) for our bedroom TV...it sits just under the tv and is wired with a short cable. it provides a good sound and far better volume when needed, as soundtracks can vary in level greatly..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:38 pm

We have a pair of Sony SRS-XB20 speakers that we use for similar purposes. up!

They can be linked together in a stereo pair, for music or TV, or singly, either via 3.5mm cable or bluetooth.

They're far superior in sound quality to the integral van system.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Seems I'm not the only one who needs a better speaker.smile!
Thanks for all the suggestions, very helpful.
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 pm

crisp wrote:Has anyone any idea if the habitation speakers can be accessed via the white, yellow and red ports on the van system. I was hoping that the better quality speakers would mean I could hear the telly better. Or maybe I just need to get the hearing checked.twiddle_thumbs
There are or used to be transmitting devices designed to allow the headphone output from MP3 players to be played on car radios. If your TV has a socket that allows headphones to work with the TV you can use one of these devices to transmit theTV sound and tune your radio to pick up the transmission on FM and so play it through your habitation speakers. I used this method in a 2002 Symbol.
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:36 am

rogersrimini wrote:
There are or used to be transmitting devices designed to allow the headphone output from MP3 players to be played on car radios. If your TV has a socket that allows headphones to work with the TV you can use one of these devices to transmit theTV sound and tune your radio to pick up the transmission on FM and so play it through your habitation speakers. I used this method in a 2002 Symbol.
 Sohttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter-Adapter-Hands-free-Wireless-Compatible-Black/dp/B0196B0YAO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523777676&sr=8-4&keywords=radio+fm+mp3mething like this should do it:
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down