The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham rear door lock

+6
white rose
MelB
AutoSleepy_Don
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
Mel C
10 posters

Go down

Kingham rear door lock Empty Kingham rear door lock

Post by Mel C Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Can anyone tell me please if the rear doors on the Kingham are supposed to lock by the remote?
If they are is there any obvious reason why they don’t?
At the moment locking and unlocking by key.
Mel C
Mel C

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Kingham rear door lock Empty Re: Kingham rear door lock

Post by Paulmold Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Whatever the answers, I'm sure they will apply to all van conversions and not just the Kingham.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm

According to the Owner's manual, the remote locks/unlocks all doors.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Is your van based on Peugeot or Fiat?

I expect the locking behaviour will be the same for all similar XLWB Boxer/Ducato based conversions.

The remote on my Warwick Duo (LWB Peugeot Boxer) does lock/unlock the rear doors.
I strongly expect yours to do the same.

You may need to take it back to the dealers and get them to check it.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel C Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Peugeot Boxer LWB, thanks for replies, will give them a ring tomorrow to try and get looked at.
Mel C
Mel C

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Does on my Warwick Duo (Peugeot Boxer) as well. However, if you need more security, this PREVENTS it opening on the remote, or by any other reasonable means! up! up! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Does also on the Kemerton [Peugeot Boxer]. Looks a handy security tool IanH. The fixed bar on the right of the pic also looks handy, to open [and especially] close the door. Did you fit it yourself or did it come with the van?
None on the Kemerton. From the inside I find some difficulty closing/opening the rear doors, mainly because there is nothing firm and solid to pull on, plus little space to manoeuvre because the shower cubicle and to a lesser extent toilet, are close up to the rear doors. A fixed bar as you have would assist me.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks
The fixed bar you see is actually the sliding bar for the "coffee" table, it slides across then hinges down. A hinged bracket holds it horizontal.
This one is modified, by us. We bought a second identical top from AS and hinged it to allow the size to double, it then needs a sectional leg (Modified folding walking stick actually!) This gives us a table large enough for most meals ( just the 2 of us) without the bother of getting the large table out of its new stowage in the shower. Pics, below, should be self explantory... It serves its purpose but really wouldn't do as a door handle, I fear.. drinksallround

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 am

Looks neat and above all very practical, thank you for the 'fixed bar' clarification.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON

Back to top Go down

Kingham rear door lock Empty Door Lock

Post by white rose Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi  Ian. I like the rear door locking. What was the thread size of the Knurled thumb screws ? Did you tap the door panels for the thumb screws ? (I didn't think the metal would be thick enough to tap). wrote:Does on my Warwick Duo (Peugeot Boxer) as well. However, if you need more security, this PREVENTS it opening on the remote, or by any other reasonable means! up! up! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
white rose
white rose

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by white rose Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:41 pm

I'LL TRY AGAIN ,messed up the first attempt. I like the rear door lock you fitted.

What is the thread size of the thumbscrews ? Did you tap the door panels ?
I didn't think the metal was thick enough
white rose
white rose

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by justlooking Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:56 pm

This is for IanH. Sorry to hijack the door lock thread, but I’ve just seen the pictures you posted on Sun 11 Feb. Could you give me details of the towbar step that you’ve fitted pse as I want to fit one to my Boxer. Many thanks, and apologies again to Mel C.
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : IH 630 RL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel C Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 am

No apologies read just looking, took my vehicle into Peugeot main dealer, they removed rear door lining, and guess what there were cables neatly coiled in bottom of door, they had never been connected. Now connected up working perfectly!
Mel C
Mel C

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Just looking

Sent you a reply to your PM, did you get it? 

White Rose

If you remove the door cards on the rear doors, there's already a 10mm hole in each corner where I now have my screws

Even better its in a dimple. I put an M10 screw (screws are threaded to head, bolts are not) in from behind and secured it with an M10 nut. Then tightened it, a lot (please note everything is stainless steel for the fasteners)

By a bit of careful measuring and a fair bit of luck I then drilled the door cards to allow the bolt threads through.

Refit the door cards using the existing screws and caps. Put M10 plain washer over the threads followed by a NYLOC stainless steel nut. Forgot to mention the screw length, its enough that after the nyloc nut is done up there's about 20mm of thread left sticking out, from distant memory, I think the screws were 30 or 35mm long. Once the nyloc nut is tight, then none of the screw assembly can move.

The bar was 20mm x 6mm steel (didn't have any SS or it would have been stainless too) carefully marked from the screw threads with both doors closed, then drilled 11mm both ends. One end was then slotted to allow it to drop over the passengers side rear door screw.

The plastic knobs came from China, there's loads on Ebay, clearly they need a female M10 thread, I think 4 were £2 or so!

Painted the metal bar with etch primer then wheel silver. Job done!

The bar can be held safely open by tightening the LH ( as you see it in the pics) to stop it hitting the other door if its closed.

All sounds much more difficult now I re-read it, in reality it was no more than 1 hrs work once all the components were available.

Hope this helps

IanH

wave
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:03 pm

While I am 100% FOR any means of securing a van and home methods are better than a lot of  bought devices as thieves are well aware of simplest methods to defeat them , this does look like a non starter  to me. Any ned worth his salt on seeing that the doors dont open and looking in see a knurled knob would just smash the window to gain access by loosening the knob..Thieves are not stupid , in fact they are very professional and will frustrate even the best attempts to defeat them.
        My work colleague with access to full workshop facilities designed and turned up a clever locking device for the front doors of his Transit which was beautifully engineered and was designed to lock front doors from inside while sleeping in the van  . Did not stop the vermin from using a spring loaded centre punch to shatter the window of the door allowing them to lean in and open the locking device. In and out in probably under a minute and his sat nav and mp3 player gone.
        I have been the victim of a break in with a highly sophisticated alarm failing to protect my property but my previous alarm was home built with a hidden switch to arm and a simple circuit latch that once triggered set off a siren so loud that you physically could not get into the vehicle it was so painfully loud.! Saved my bacon at least twice when parked in dodgy areas ! Also no chance of grabbing codes or blocking signals using freely available devices from the internet! We
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Except, Kaspian that the rear windows, incl door ones are black and you can barely see through them! (Even with the blinds down)

Nothing is perfect, this is simple and cheap and may, just, stop the opportunist, it sure as heck doesn't make it EASIER to break in!
drinksallround
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:08 pm

IanH, like your rear door security. We have a Sussex Duo, and this is the only area that we think is vulnerable. Appreciate if you you could let us know the source of your materials.
Thanks
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Sorry Ianh, see that the info is above doh!!
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:16 pm

If you want an additional alarm with your ingenious door closure Ian, then why not add a rape alarm to the package ?

Stick the box part of the alarm firmly to the wall under the knurled knob ( double-sided industrial Velcro ?), tie the loop of cord attached to the pin of the alarm to the lift up bar, in the place designed to go over the knob. When the bar is lifted the peg will be pulled out of the alarm and the noise is loud enough to make anyone who tries to work in the area physically sick. It would attract attention and, since the thief has no idea where it is coming from or how to stop it, is likely to scare them away.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks Q

Will do that I think, might make the string dayglo though to remind ME to de-activate it!!

Having now looked at these, a few (@2:99!) around the place with trip wires could be fun! Or, on the shed door, the pin being pulled when the door is more than half open, not quite wide enough for the mong to get in!! You could sell video of the result

Thanks again!

drinksallround
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm

If we are on an aire where we are not 100% happy then we have tape to tie the driver and passenger doors together. In the centre a rape alarm. If anyone opens either door then the pin is pulled from the alarm and,hopefully the thief would be scared off. It would, from evidence of the only time we forgot about it, wake us and everyone else around. I don't like the idea of locking the cab doors together or making it difficult to do a fast exit in case of emergency.  They are also handy on the bike rack- hidden- one end attached to the bike rack, the pin attached to the bike.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Being a little more serious for a moment.

We have several aftermarket security devices on our truck but with only one exception they can all be opened, without keys, from the inside.

It is essential to be able to get out pdq, fire, for example.

The one exception is the exterior lock on the side door, so I take the small risk on that one, bearing in mind the truck is already locked with the ign key.

That was one of the design criteria for my rear door lock.

BTW, I'm not even going to park near a Broadway from now on!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down