The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme

+6
GP1069
Bulletguy
rgermain
Paulmold
RogerThat
IanD
10 posters

Go down

Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme Empty Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme

Post by IanD Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Hello colleagues. Broken my rear door window on Kingham. (flying stone). Anyone know where I can get a colour matched window fitted?  
Thanks Ian
IanD
IanD

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme Empty Re: Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme

Post by RogerThat Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:31 pm

I'd take it to your local car window tinting place. They'll match it for you up!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme Empty Re: Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:37 pm

We had the recent thread of a broken rear window due to missing restrictors. The poster got the window fitted by autoglass but it still needs tinting.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:17 pm

I am interested what the answer is lanD
Just in case it happens to some one else on here.
I would not accept plain untinted glass, as I would assume the insurance would not cover tinting after settling up.
When I put a stone through my tinted focus side window while strimming, they got the original glass, although it did have to  wait for it to come from Germany.
------------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Missing text)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:30 pm

I remember someone on here saying they were at Willersey when some Boxer window vans were delivered and they were clear glass. AS get them tinted. I know they are not black glass as I have a tiny missing tint layer (size of a pinhead) and it's a tint film applied.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 pm

AS will just get a local / mobile window tinter in.

The same as every car dealer does when you pay £££ extra for tinted windows on a car, it's only done by the local fitter and the dealer marks it up by around 400% think_smiley_46
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Given the price these new vans are retailing at i'm surprised they're still using film tint where even a £15k Fiesta has black privacy glass to the rear.

Film tint is ok but unlike black glass, it eventually wears and starts lifting at the corners. It was one of the first jobs needed when i bought my van as the glass was clear. If really confident you can DIY for a fraction of the price but i paid £140 to have mine done.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:26 pm

RogerThat wrote:AS will just get a local / mobile window tinter in.

The same as every car dealer does when you pay £££ extra for tinted windows on a car, it's only done by the local fitter and the dealer marks it up by around 400% think_smiley_46
Not true I am afraid, or not in my case when as I said a rear side window smashed on my Focus with privacy glass.

I forgot the windscreen firms name  think is was auto glass, Saga emp!oyed them and the glass came from Ford in Germany, already tinted. Not buts that's what happened with me.Took a few days, I even checked with my regular Ford Main dealer and was told no stock held due to so many colour variation's.
Glass in my van is by Sevel and I can tell you it's tinted NOT layered on. As I asked the windscreen fitter when he did the Focus.
Do not take any bull from cheap I insurance companies! You only get what you pay for.
Think what you like, but that is what I have. 

------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by GP1069 Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:53 pm

It was auto-glass that replaced mine at AS and then a tinting company came and did the tinting, I can tell you it's a 5% tint and I did have the company that made it but need to look through my history to find it.

AS Warwick XL
MINI GP #1069
GP1069
GP1069
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme Empty Kingham back door window

Post by IanD Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Update. Auto glass will replace the back door window with a green Peugeot one as per original. I then have to take it to a tinting firm to have the film applied on the inside. Autosleeper Alan Curry told me the readily available film is called SUNTECH Gold 5%.
Wednesday the Autoglass manis fitting the window. I will leave of the interior panel till after the film is fitted. Cost: Glass excess £75. Film fitted locally £36.  Ian
IanD
IanD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:53 pm

The Suntek film is available on eBay - should anyone wish to DIY:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snow863 Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:24 pm

Just lost our rear window glass, wind caught the door and flung it back past the restrictor banged the glass on the edge.
 Kingham Rear door window shattered. Replaceme 1f633 
On holiday in remote part of Scotland so anticipating a long wait for Autoglass to fit standard peugeot boxer glass and then get tint dobe when we get home I guess?
Reading this thread now as I wait for insurers to call back.
Just wondering how they can tint the back door window from inside after the glass is fitted all the way to the edge as the glass overlaps the metal door externally. Or do the window tint guys take the glass out and refit it?
snow863
snow863

Female

Member Age : 63
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:52 am

The first 2/3 inches around the edge of the window are already 
tinted so they just tint up to that

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by snow863 Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:35 am

FreelanderUK wrote:The first 2/3 inches around the edge of the window are already 
tinted so they just tint up to that 

Thanks so much for quick reply  agree3
Sarah
snow863
snow863

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Milliways Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:54 pm

We were in this exact position last September, in the Highlands too. Huge gust of wind blew the door back and shattered the glass. We gaffer taped the entire window and it held for the next few days and drive back to Berkshire, where Autoglass fitted a tinted window for us. We tried to get them to come to a site but the wait was days so we continued with our tour and agreed a date when we got home. Hope yours is sorted soon[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Milliways
Milliways

Female

Member Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by snow863 Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:36 am

Thanks Millways.
Autoglass have been the same with us. They can't get to us at Durness until 14th August. Can't even replace the glass anywhere in Scotland for 2 weeks! In the end they offered us a temporary fix at Inverness (4hrs drive from here) on Monday (the glass broke Weds night!) Then proper replacement at home end next week. So will tape it up when the storm subsides and head for Inverness on Monday then finish holiday and home.
Autoglass seem to be utterly convinced our rear windows are heated. Have told them over and over that there are no heater wires in the glass but they say  you can't see them because of the tint?!!
Hopefully I can get the Inverness guys  to verify this to the people booking my replacement glass at home 
Thanks for the photo big help to know you made it home with gaffer tape.
allthumbz
snow863
snow863

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Millie The Moocher Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:44 am

@snow863 - our 2021 Kingham has heater elements in the window so maybe they have looked up the current spec?

I don’t actually know if they are connected though, but they are certainly there.

Good luck with the repair
Millie The Moocher
Millie The Moocher

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:55 am

Make sure that the correct tint is applied when you have the tint replaced, I think it sun tech carbon 5%, I had the sliding window re-tinted and it looks a correct colour match from the outside but inside it’s brown when you look threw and the rest of the window has a slight blue tint

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Milliways Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:23 am

Our window came correctly pre tinted (we were also in Durness, it certainly gets windy there!)
Just found another bit of the shattered glass dropping into the rear bumper on a trip 6 months later…
Milliways
Milliways

Female

Member Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by snow863 Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:06 pm

Milliways wrote:Our window came correctly pre tinted (we were also in Durness, it certainly gets windy there!)
Just found another bit of the shattered glass dropping into the rear bumper on a trip 6 months later…
Seen 3 Boxer vans with broken rear door glass this week Autoglass must be making a mint!.
 Your vehicle is fairly close in age to ours. Just wondered if your back windows are heated and if so can you see the wires? There are no wires visible in ours but Autoglass are convinced mine are heated, the woman I spoke to told me not to worry seemed to be convinced I wouldnt see them because the glass is tinted!!
Millie's 2021 Kingham's are heated so I think they must be working on records for the newer model?
snow863
snow863

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by IanD Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi. Mine has a heated offside rear window ( the grid wires are visible from the outside). The nearside one which Autoglass replaced doesnt have the same pattern so I assume it is unheated - it is of no relevance anyway with the Kingham because, as you know the window is backed by a panel. Autoglass actualy came to the house with the standard green and also a more heavily tinted one - i chose the latter. I painted the inside of the panel facing the repaired window with matt black paint because, at first, I could make out writing on the ply face of the panel.  The inner face is covered with cloth as you are aware. Now there is virtually no difference in the external appearance of both glass windows.  It appeared that the job was being guided by the Glasgow or Edinburgh Autoglass contact centre - they were very good.
IanD
IanD
IanD

Male

Back to top Go down