The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove

+9
rose49f
Peter Brown
Paulmold
Kemerton-bath
bobash
Cookie99
Kingham
Gromit
melcragg
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove Empty Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove

Post by melcragg Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 am

Morning all. I'm finding it more and more difficult to remove the toilet cassette. I hold the trigger and pull but nothing. I take the skin off my knuckles every time. Last night I was extra careful and as a result removed a chunk of skin from my wrist. I'm worried by pulling so hard I'm going to break something.

This cannot be right. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to apply some silicone lube to some parts?

Thanks....
melcragg

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove Empty Re: Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove

Post by Gromit Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:30 am

Stupid question I expect, but are you ensuring that the trap door in the cassette is fully closed? (Assuming you have the same model toilet as ours)

I always open the trap for a few seconds to make sure the toilet bowl has fully drained into the cassette, then slide the lever hard over to close the trap. This matters because there's a yellow bar on top of the cassette which fits into a slider in the roof of the housing. The slider is connected to the lever by the side of the toilet bowl, which operates the trap door when moved across. If the bar and the slider don't line up it's likely that something will break as the cassette is forced in or out.

No doubt you are fully aware of this - but just in case??
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove Empty Re: Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove

Post by Kingham Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm

melcragg wrote:
This cannot be right. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to apply some silicone lube to some parts?

Thanks....

Sorry, I can't help with a solution, but you're correct.... You shouldn't have to be using that amount of force.

Mine locks firmly in to place with a loud 'click', but once the trigger is released, it slides back out with only sufficient force to overcome the weight of the full cassette.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with a fix for you.

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie99 Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Mine was the same. I found that you have to hold the trigger/catch all the time while sliding the cassette out. 
John
Cookie99
Cookie99

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by bobash Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm

I can pull the cassette out fairly easy but I find that pulling the blade in and out takes a lot of force even when I lubricate it.
bobash
bobash

Male

Member Age : 78
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Yours may be different but the housing of my cassette has two storage compartments in the base, each of which has a plastic lid that drops into place to fit flush.  If one of these is misplaced then it can foul (sorry no pun intended) the movement (and again!) of the cassette.  I've experienced this several times but it was easily resolved by ensuring proper fitting of the lids in the base of the housing.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm

there is a plastic sliding flap on the top of the cassette (not the round flap that closes the hole) which covers the cassette hole when the cassette is extracted, and then slides out of the way when the cassette is inserted.
it is most definitely possible to put this flap on the cassette the wrong way round.
this will make the cassette blooming hard to remove....
the thing is, its vary difficuly to describe which is the correct way...which is why its so easy to put it back wrongly, especially if you remove it as part of the emptying process...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:41 pm

I didn't think it possible to put that slide the wrong way round due to a 'tongue' on each side at one end.
As shown here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Paulmold on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 pm

The arrow head lines up with a similar on the cassette

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:54 pm

bolero boy wrote:there is a plastic sliding flap on the top of the cassette (not the round flap that closes the hole) which covers the cassette hole when the cassette is extracted, and then slides out of the way when the cassette is inserted.
it is most definitely possible to put this flap on the cassette the wrong way round.
this will make the cassette blooming hard to remove....
the thing is, its vary difficuly to describe which is the correct way...which is why its so easy to put it back wrongly, especially if you remove it as part of the emptying process...
There are arrows on the cassette to show you which way to put it on. Arrows should join together.

Sorry Peter you posted while I was writing

Last edited by rose49f on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apologising to Peter)
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Paulmold wrote:I didn't think it possible to put that slide the wrong way round due to a 'tongue' on each side at one end.
As shown here...

i managed to do it Paul (probably in the dark) .....otherwise, why would i have posted what i did?
....and yes, it will cause the cassette to become 'jammed'....try it.... smile!
see photo for 'flap' incorrectly inserted....i slid it in from the top of the photo down rather than from spout end upwards...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Without taking my cassette out to see whether or not the slide allows insertion from the wrong end, I'll take your word for it.
The photo was slow to load and I thought you were referring to my eBay photo, now I've seen your photo, the slide looks upsidedown not just inserted from wrong end.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:00 pm

forget it....its (no doubt) a different cassette in an AS anyway.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Checking on eBay, there are two different patterns. Yours is obviously different from mine and other AS's. I would have thought that even though there are small and large cassettes (I've had both) they would use the same slide style on all model numbers, obviously not. But as you say 'forget it'.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Last year I assisted a man with his new Lunar MH who couldn't get the cassette into the housing. He had the slide in the wrong way round, so it fouled going in. Doubt that's the problem of the OP, more likely the blade is not fully shut or misaligned.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by melcragg Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks guys. I need a resolution as my knuckles are stripped. The cassette is different to pictures posted. It's a light blue colour with bright green 'highlights'. It's probably 'user' error as usual .;)
melcragg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 pm

You probably have  the Dometic CTLP 3050 cassette toilet.

Kingham toilet cassette - Difficult to remove CT-3000-Tankl

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 am

That's a style I've never seen before.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 am

Me neither, so my suggestions can be totally ignored!!  rolleyes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bobash Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am

Are you lifting the green release clip before you pull out the cassette?
bobash
bobash

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Seems that we dont know which cassette melcragg actually has??
Dometic or Thetford.
'Till we do, all we are doing is breaking wind keep_cool
frederic

Proof that, as has been stated many times, full particulars of the problem are require
if a constructive reply is to be offered.
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm

According to the AS handbook, the Kingham of that era was fitted with the Dometic CTLP 3050 toilet, with the cassette in my post above.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:10 pm

I've given in and read the Kingham handbook, a link to the Dometic handbook is below. The info given in the AS handbook is the same but is mixed in with everything else. Very few AS owners will be familiar with the Dometic - I'm not but there doesn't seem to be anything special about it.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by bobash Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Read 4.3 in the handbook.
bobash
bobash

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by melcragg Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Ploughlin is correct. That is the cassette and yep I'm holding the trigger. Apologies, I thought all Kinghams were the same. The new ones appear to be the same model.  smile!
melcragg

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next