The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low level bike rack for Symbol

4 posters

Go down

Low level bike rack for Symbol Empty Low level bike rack for Symbol

Post by jfsmith Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 pm

I have just bought a 2008 Symbol with a fitted step at the rear which I assume was standard back then. It does not seem to be the case now as new Symbols are 20cms shorter.  Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a bike rack to the step.  I am thinking of something similar to a tow bar mounted rack but not fitting to the tow ball.  Some tow bar racks fit to the bar itself rather that the ball so I was wondering if such a rack could fit to one of the "arms" of the step and whether the step would support the weight of two bikes.  Otherwise is it necessary to remove the step to fit a towbar?

Has anyone tried any of this?

Cheers, Fred
jfsmith
jfsmith

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Low level bike rack for Symbol Empty Re: Low level bike rack for Symbol

Post by -mojo- Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't know specifically about that year of Symbol, but my experience from other vans is that the rear steps (fitted by A/S) are barely adequate for the purpose.

One alternative is to have a towbar with flange fitted - you can then buy a metal step that extends either side of the towball - I had one of these on my Flair and it was extremely well made. You then have the choice of either fitting a towball and towball-mount rack, or saving your shins and fitting a towbar-flange mounted bike rack. That choice may be influenced by how often you want to install/remove it.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by crosgor Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Whoever owned my 2005 Symbol cut the step off, the mounts looked very thin, I now have a tow bar mounted rack, recommend any day against a door mount job.
crosgor
crosgor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : ex-Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:54 am

We fitted one of these to our warwick duo [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] slightly modified it so the rear doors can open. Much better than clamping to the doors.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by crosgor Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm

jennyandpeter wrote:We fitted one of these to our warwick duo [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] slightly modified it so the rear doors can open. Much better than clamping to the doors.
I've got one of those languishing in my garage if any ones interested £60.
crosgor
crosgor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : ex-Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down