The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Pipes in Autosleeper Symbol Dorset

5 posters

Go down

Water Pipes in Autosleeper Symbol Dorset Empty Water Pipes in Autosleeper Symbol Dorset

Post by Alpaca Sat 16 Dec 2017 - 12:14

Hi,

Got a 2011 Autosleeper Symbol Dorset this year to replace my Nuevo and love it. Thought I had emptied all the tanks and pipes of water but noticed that there is still some residual water in the pipes near to the whale water heater under the seat. Just cant seem to get that out pumping doesn't move it. Given it has been cold recently these get cold and I thought I had a leak but now think its condensation. As when I run the heating on low it keeps them warm and dry and there is no water puddle below them. Does anyone else have this problem or have an idea of how to get the last bit of water out.... Does anyone also keep the heating on overnight as well? never did this with my Nuevo. Advice grateful thanks Carol.
Alpaca
Alpaca

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Dorset ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Water Pipes in Autosleeper Symbol Dorset Empty Re: Water Pipes in Autosleeper Symbol Dorset

Post by -mojo- Sat 16 Dec 2017 - 12:49

As long as the water is only in the pipework and in relatively small amounts you should be Ok. The pipe is flexible, so it can expand as ice forms. Similarly small amounts in more rigid parts should be Ok as long as there is space for ice to expand into.

It won't harm to put some heating in - greenhouse heaters work well and are intrinsically safe with few moving parts - but there's obviously a cost involved!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Water Pipes in Autosleeper Symbol Dorset Empty Re: Water Pipes in Autosleeper Symbol Dorset

Post by Alpaca Sat 16 Dec 2017 - 13:02

Thanks for that. I was worried if the water that was left froze it would cause bursts. All the taps and outlet pipes are open. Its just when I look at the flexible piping under the seat there are so many joints. But reading the info on the joints which are the whale quick connectors it says they are quite robust...?
Alpaca
Alpaca

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat 16 Dec 2017 - 15:45

It's a fair point - it does make you wonder what would happen if a joint were completely full of water and it froze - obviously they are a lot less flexible than the pipe itself, so whether it would take the pressure I don't know. On all of my vans the points where water was likely to pool were all in pipe runs rather than at junctions, but if you're not so lucky it may be a risk. I used to use a Dimplex Frostwatcher in really cold weather, but one of the small output tubular heaters would also probably be enough to keep the interior above freezing.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sat 16 Dec 2017 - 17:10

Hi Carol, as long as the amount of water in the pipe is minimal , I would not worry. Even if it freezes the ice can expand along the inside of the pipe . You should be ok as it is almost impossible to get every last bit of water from the system.I dont go down the route of heating an empty van while stored but do open the windows on any dry days to change the air and prevent condensation. Either take upholstery cushions indoors or keep them pulled forward of the walls to allow air to circulate through the bed boxes.  Never had a problem in some pretty severe cold spells over the years.

Last edited by kaspian on Sat 16 Dec 2017 - 19:36; edited 1 time in total
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpaca Sat 16 Dec 2017 - 17:41

Thx. That makes me feel a bit better.
Alpaca
Alpaca

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby b Sun 17 Dec 2017 - 17:35

Hi did you open the small valve between the heater and battery,it looks like a washing machine pipe control valve. Directly below the round cut out in the panel under the bed
bobby b
bobby b

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpaca Thu 21 Dec 2017 - 21:36

Hi, Thx Yes I did open that. There is residual water both sides of that as I can see it in the pipes . Puddle of water there today on bottom just above all the connectors as the weather had warmed up not put heating on. So really thought there was a leak but since putting heating on its all dried up again...!! Might take it in in the new year to get checked. . If it was leaking surely it would still leak when the heating was on as well.Bit of a mystery really but frustrating.
Alpaca
Alpaca

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby b Thu 21 Dec 2017 - 22:02

Could it be condensation,i get a wet patch under the rubber mat to the left of the boiler unit, no pipes nearby lifted rubber mat and it dried out completely,will have to re varnish the panel at a later date when its warmer
bobby b
bobby b

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpaca Thu 21 Dec 2017 - 22:23

Yes it could be. I just need to confirm that it is. A few hours ago when I touched the pipes and connectors they were wet and dripping. But after having the heating on low they are now dry........Could have been doing this for ages just not noticed. Only had the van since June and all A1. So not really looked at pipework till I winterised it....
Alpaca
Alpaca

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu 21 Dec 2017 - 22:28

I have a small oil radiator kept on frost setting it is on all night and day,  if I am in there I put the rad up,  it is on a thermostat . doesn`t cost much, I get no condensation, and everything is aired,
I never empty the van, keep it ready to go off, unless it is having the habitation check done.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpaca Thu 21 Dec 2017 - 23:01

Thx. I have a small fan heater but dont trust leaving that on all the time . Maybe oil better.
Alpaca
Alpaca

Female

Back to top Go down