The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Standing on the roof

+6
Dave D
Paramedic
rgermain
kaspian
AutoSleepy_Don
greycaster
10 posters

Go down

Standing on the roof Empty Standing on the roof

Post by greycaster Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Does anyone know if it's ok to stand on the roof of a panel van conversion. I have a Warwick XL based on a Fiat Ducato.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Standing on the roof Empty Re: Standing on the roof

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm

greycaster wrote:Does anyone know if it's ok to stand on the roof of a panel van conversion. I have a Warwick XL based on a Fiat Ducato.
I doubt it quite a lot  hugegrins

Likely depends on how much you weigh? and maybe over what surface area your weight is applied.

Make sure you video your attempt and then you can send it in to you've been framed and get £250 or whatever they pay hugegrins
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Are you kidding ! I can push the roof  panel in with one finger! Youve been framed will give you £250 towards the £10, 000 bill to replace the roof.  hugegrins hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by greycaster Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:21 am

I take it that's a no then. I just wondered how they fitted my satellite dish and solar panel as I'm finding it quite difficult to reach for cleaning.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 am

I stood on my Warwick Duo roof ok, apart from almost being blown off on a very windy day! Never learn do we. I fitted a solar panel and the roof never moved and I am just under 14 stone!

Mind you, I think the vans are all the same, but mine is a Peugeot not a FIAT!

Just take care and be prepared to grab the roof rails, if fitted.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am

I recall seeing a promotional advert showing the complete sells team standing on the roof of a coach build (make escapes me) advocating the strength of the roof. Have been many comments about possible damage, broken sealant and leaks to skylights etc. Recently cleaned the roof using telescopic ladder ensuring one hand hold but no provision over the cab and yes there is the risk of a fall. As long as the ladder is secure at ground level, I virtually lay across the roof to reach the centre then repeat from the other side. Very conscious of the risk, don't want to find myself in local A/E conversing with former colleagues.
all confused

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi Greycaster, please DO NOT attempt to stand on the roof of a van conversion. You will regret it ! For cleaning I use an 9 tread a frame set of steps but you could use a section of a telescopic extending ladder, just use pipe insulation on the styles to protect the paintwork at the gutters. If working alone a bit of rope tied from front wheel to ladder 2nd tread to rear wheel will stop ladder base sliding outwards if you lean over roof too far.
         To wash  and  polish the roof I use a telescopic wash brush which can be connected to a hose and then some pads made out of thin ply covered with carpet and rag material of varying shapes and sizes  attached to a length of brush shaft . Some pound shops sell a microfibre pad attached to a long handle fir easy windscreen cleaning to give you an idea of what I am meaning.This easily covers all areas of the roof to allow waxing and polishing  .  van roofs have 3 or 4 ribs running from side to side for rigidity but the steel roof is normal paper thin  panel thickness.
        Would you stand on the bonnet or roof of a modern car without damage ? Please Do not attempt it as damage will occur. The factory use scaffold towers either side to work from when cutting or installing accessories on the roof. For the masochistic enthusiast the best time to clean is during or just after prolonged rain when green gunge etc on roof are well softened especially around roof window / vents where it collects in the ribs running along the roof. Yes I have been that sad person entertaining the neighbours! hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by greycaster Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Well as usual there are conflicting answers, think I will play it safe and work off a ladder. Thanks for all the replies.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Better safe than definitely sorry!  up!
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave D Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:46 am

kaspian wrote:Hi Greycaster, please DO NOT attempt to stand on the roof of a van conversion. You will regret it ! For cleaning I use an 9 tread a frame set of steps but you could use a section of a telescopic extending ladder, just use pipe insulation on the styles to protect the paintwork at the gutters. If working alone a bit of rope tied from front wheel to ladder 2nd tread to rear wheel will stop ladder base sliding outwards if you lean over roof too far.
         To wash  and  polish the roof I use a telescopic wash brush which can be connected to a hose and then some pads made out of thin ply covered with carpet and rag material of varying shapes and sizes  attached to a length of brush shaft . Some pound shops sell a microfibre pad attached to a long handle fir easy windscreen cleaning to give you an idea of what I am meaning.This easily covers all areas of the roof to allow waxing and polishing  .  van roofs have 3 or 4 ribs running from side to side for rigidity but the steel roof is normal paper thin  panel thickness.
        Would you stand on the bonnet or roof of a modern car without damage ? Please Do not attempt it as damage will occur. The factory use scaffold towers either side to work from when cutting or installing accessories on the roof. For the masochistic enthusiast the best time to clean is during or just after prolonged rain when green gunge etc on roof are well softened especially around roof window / vents where it collects in the ribs running along the roof. Yes I have been that sad person entertaining the neighbours! hugegrins
A now departed friend of mine used to say " Thems as dies is the lucky one's!!! He was a roofer! oh_blast!
Dave D
Dave D

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 am

Paramedic wrote:I recall seeing a promotional advert showing the complete sells team standing on the roof of a coach build (make escapes me) advocating the strength of the roof. Have been many comments about possible damage, broken sealant and leaks to skylights etc. Recently cleaned the roof using telescopic ladder ensuring one hand hold but no provision over the cab and yes there is the risk of a fall. As long as the ladder is secure at ground level, I virtually lay across the roof to reach the centre then repeat from the other side. Very conscious of the risk, don't want to find myself in local A/E conversing with former colleagues.
all confused
the ad i saw was for a Hymer B-class where one identical van was stood on the roof of another...
impressive stuff.
no worries (weight wise) standing on the roof of my ban for cleaning, but as has been mentioned....please be careful out there, which ever method you use. soapy water and a gently sloping roofline can make life very tricky...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:45 am

Paramedic wrote:I recall seeing a promotional advert showing the complete sells team standing on the roof of a coach build (make escapes me) advocating the strength of the roof. Have been many comments about possible damage, broken sealant and leaks to skylights etc. Recently cleaned the roof using telescopic ladder ensuring one hand hold but no provision over the cab and yes there is the risk of a fall. As long as the ladder is secure at ground level, I virtually lay across the roof to reach the centre then repeat from the other side. Very conscious of the risk, don't want to find myself in local A/E conversing with former colleagues.
all confused
I saw an advert for the Volvo 740 estate car with a Big foot truck driving over it. They didn't show the reinforcing frame inside.....Some Hitops had a steel roof ex factory and you would be quite safe climbing on top but most have grp roof though my LDV Convoy was grp with excellent steel roof bars...
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 am

Having had work vans all my working life I would,nt stand on the camper . As has been said you will damage it. A few years back a local garage owner was cleaning his coachbuilt ready for the summer, something he did every year standing on the roof. His wife brought him out a cuppa and found him dead on the ground having fell and hit his head. Be carefull.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:40 pm

My Harmony is coming to the stage where it needs a fair bit up work on the hi-top, certainly in the area above the windscreen but also along the sides and in the centre of the roof around the skylights. For all these, as I think we may have previously discussed, I intend to build a scaffold gantry suspended from two towers either side of the van. That way I will be able to work close-up to the areas in question without loading the roof which, after 22 years of sunlight, is probably even weaker than when new.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Flaggy wrote:Having had work vans all my working life I would,nt stand on the camper . As has been said you will damage it. A few years back a local garage owner was cleaning his coachbuilt ready for the summer, something he did every year standing on the roof. His wife brought him out a cuppa and found him dead on the ground having fell and hit his head. Be carefull.

Almost happened to me due to a gust of wind! I now use a ladder with padding to protect the paintwork and save the NHS some time and money.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 pm

rgermain wrote:
Flaggy wrote:Having had work vans all my working life I would,nt stand on the camper . As has been said you will damage it. A few years back a local garage owner was cleaning his coachbuilt ready for the summer, something he did every year standing on the roof. His wife brought him out a cuppa and found him dead on the ground having fell and hit his head. Be carefull.

Almost happened to me due to a gust of wind! I now use a ladder with padding to protect the paintwork and save the NHS some time and money.

Richard
Hi Richard reading that do you mean that you take the van to the NHS for coachwork/ paintwork otherwise better to use wrap the padding around your vitals and  bonce hugegrins hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarjar Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:45 pm

..and on a similar note, my Peugeot handbook suggests standing on the 'step' under the headlights to clean the windscreen? Anyone tried it?
Jarjar
Jarjar

Male

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave D Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:36 am

Jarjar wrote:..and on a similar note, my Peugeot handbook suggests standing on the 'step' under the headlights to clean the windscreen? Anyone tried it?
Must have been one of "Snow White's" men! lol4
Dave D
Dave D

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 am

Just use a long handled car window cleaner with microfibre head which can be taken off and washed, from many outlets I keep one in the van.

If I can ,  sure you males can ,I am only 5`2"   smile!

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down