The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is provision of this detail normal for MOT?

+2
Paulmold
Liam
6 posters

Go down

Is provision of this detail normal for MOT? Empty Is provision of this detail normal for MOT?

Post by Liam Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Just had the van serviced and MOT renewed (I have sacrificed as few months of the old certificate and brought the MOT forward to a more convenient time of year). 

Reading the various documents supplied I noticed on the braking test results that the testing station have kindly provided me with a readout of my actual front and rear axle weights together with an overall weight. I cannot recall seeing this information been provided previously and was wondering if this was new and an extension to the MOT schedule for our type of vehicle? 
Is DVLA checking up on us! Fortunately all of the recordings were well within the permitted limits.
I did also notice on the actual certificate, in the "Advisory Information" box, that they had a note;- 001 (emissions too clean to register)!! 
Does this mean that I have a near zero emission vehicleIs provision of this detail normal for MOT? 2756180141

At least all is now good for another year of roaming!!
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Is provision of this detail normal for MOT? Empty Re: Is provision of this detail normal for MOT?

Post by Paulmold Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Axle weight is a new provision, I noticed it on mine back in September.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Is provision of this detail normal for MOT? Empty Re: Is provision of this detail normal for MOT?

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm

I think axle weights are needed for brake efficiency testing in Class 7 MOT, though not for motorhomes. Did you use a Class 7 tester?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Just looked at our MOT dated 30th October Test Class 4 no mention of axle weights.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:I think axle weights are needed for brake efficiency testing in Class 7 MOT, though not for motorhomes.

I suspect you're right - though it doesn't seem to be confined to Class 7. When I last took my replica (aka kit car) in for an MOT, a couple of years back, they could not calculate the brake efficiency because there are no published axle weights for that vehicle - which meant that they had to take it out on the road with an accelerometer. Presumably now they have weighing capabilities they won't need to do that any more.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:I think axle weights are needed for brake efficiency testing in Class 7 MOT, though not for motorhomes. Did you use a Class 7 tester?
Its the same MB Commercial garage that I used last time and I guess that they must do Class 7 MOT work as they also service MB lorries. You are correct in that the separate sheet on which the axle weights are quoted is titled "Detailed Brake Test Results - Full Test" and it goes on to record the actual braking efficiency for each wheel as well as the parking (handbrake) for each of the rear wheels. It also shows the GVW/TW (I am assuming this is MTPLM) as 3880kg - which is correct.
The latest certificate shows the Test Class they applied to my motor-home as Class 4 so it was not treated as a class 7 vehicle.
My slight concern is that if they now check the actual axle weights (and indeed the overall weight) and you happen to be in excess on one of them then presumably you would fail the MOT - although I note that the actual MTPLM quoted in my handbook for each axle is very generous, providing of course that you do not exceed the overall  MTPLM for the vehicle. 
All of the actual recorded weights were well under the figures quoted for my vehicle, which is good given all of the extra equipment we tend to bolt onto our vehicles these days without giving too much thought to the consequential weight creep
So at least I now have a vehicle weight base to work from when we pack to go on our extended trips.
Liam

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Paramedic wrote:Just looked at our MOT dated 30th October Test Class 4 no mention of axle weights.
The axle weights were on a separate/attached sheet titled "Detailed Brake Test Results- Full Test"
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:07 am

For many years I have had my motorhomes mot'd at Croydon Council's test station. I always ask for the break efficiency output and the emission test output and these are provided. The brake test does have axle weights as they are part of the calculations. Those weights give me a good idea of my potential payload. I don't think that any comparison is made with the plate.
Unmeasurable emissions on MOT does not mean zero. It means that those emissions relevant to MOT are very low. It does not measure CO2 and I am not sure about NO. I think the focus is on smoke and spot but would need to get out my records to check. My Prius is exempt from the emissions test.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am

Paramedic wrote:Just looked at our MOT dated 30th October Test Class 4 no mention of axle weights.
Confirmation via a phone call this morning to MOT centre, no requirement for axle weights as rated Class 4 being PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS (PLG) as per V5C.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down