The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing valet/detail perfume Trooper

2 posters

Go down

Removing valet/detail perfume Trooper Empty Removing valet/detail perfume Trooper

Post by andrewedmondson Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:14 pm

My partner and I are sensitive to perfume.
It's not that we get ill but it is extremely unpleasant.
We've stripped out the floor carpet, removed the seats and rock/roll bed cushions (washed covers 6 times, replaced foam), hoovered every surface, used a Bissell Spotclean on all trim and roof, washed everything in soapy water.
Our great success was leaving all the plastic from under the dash in a bath of soapy water. All smell gone apart from the gear stick cover, which needs replacing (made from a soft plastic rubber).
The van still smells of the perfume, too much for us to travel in.
The main problem is the wooden units. The wood veneer has absorbed the perfume. We cannot get rid of it and tried everything online.
I can't think of a solution, other than to replace the unit doors or cover with an identical veneer, if it is still available.
This valeting perfume is a menace.
Oh, I took out all sound absorbing foam from under the dash too. That needs replacing. You cannot clean foam.
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Removing valet/detail perfume Trooper Empty Re: Removing valet/detail perfume Trooper

Post by bikeralw Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:08 pm

I had to check the date on this...
Seriously though, we have a caravan stored at my daughter's house in NZ, and the week before we go out there she sets off one of those insecticide 'bombs' (they're usually used for fumigating greenhouses) and leaves the van sealed for 24 hours.
As well as killing every known infestation, including the nasty white-tailed spider that's native to NZ, it seems to get rid of all lingering smells...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Removing valet/detail perfume Trooper Empty Re: Removing valet/detail perfume Trooper

Post by andrewedmondson Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:13 pm

Thanks for the tip. Does it introduce another smell though?
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:26 pm

No, not really, perhaps a lingering smell of insecticide, which isn't unpleasant, and it soon goes when the van is aired. She removes as much of the soft furnishing as possible first though.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

andrewedmondson likes this post

Back to top Go down