The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal

+5
brodco
Gromit
-mojo-
AutoSleepy_Don
Nickji
9 posters

Go down

New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal Empty New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal

Post by Nickji Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi there, Does anyone know if Duetto sized gas bottles are available in Portugal. So far have had no luck in the search.   I'm in the central region an hour east of  Coimbra. Warm beer looms on the near horizon.
Also I can't tell from the bottles if they're propane or butane in my 98 Duetto.  Hmmm.
Nickji
Nickji

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal Empty Re: New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Aren't Propane bottles red and Butane blue?
Probably only get Butane in Portugal.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal Empty Re: New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal

Post by Nickji Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:13 pm

I see that they’re Butane. But still haven’t found the size I need to buy.
Nickji
Nickji

Male

Member Age : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:21 pm

If they are CampingGaz then you should find them eventually - they should be available all over Europe. If they are Calor I doubt you will find a replacement anywhere in Portugal.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:41 pm

It would be helpful if you specified what you mean by "Duetto size".

Would they be 6kg bottles, or larger?? Those with no experience of a Duetto probably won't have a clue.  scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi  wave

Gromit wrote:It would be helpful if you specified what you mean by "Duetto size".

Would they be 6kg bottles, or larger?? Those with no experience of a Duetto probably won't have a clue.  scratch head

Two Calor 3.9 Kg Propane or Butane equiv. The Flowgas version is too high.

New gas bottles for Duetto in Portugal Gas_bo10

Bearing in mind the small size of the Duetto gas locker Campingaz may be the easiest if not the cheapest option.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brod

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by brodco on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Nickji wrote:I see that they’re Butane. But still haven’t found the size I need to buy.
The Duettos I have been in, have the same layout as my old Symbol. That contained 2 bottles in an internal locker, one behind the other so the 2nd bottle is only visible once the first is removed. These were a 6Kg (inside) and a 3.9Kg (outside) in UK calor gas sizes. Sizes in Europe can be different. NB smaller bottles can be used e.g. 2*3.9Kg.
These bottles have an external size that is substantially different and can not be confused, same diameter different height.

Just make sure any new bottle you buy fits in locker and regulator fits (or get a new regulator), I don't think you absolutely need to buy Butane.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 pm

You will almost certainly need to buy a new regulator to match the bottle that you buy. The regulator, by matching, will accommodate to whether the gas is butane or propane. Your current red bottles are propane. Th eappliances will run on either gas provided that the regulator is correct.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Galp and Repsol gas is available in Portugal and if I remember correctly BP as well, who do a 9.5 litre light weight bottle which is the same size as my Safefill refillable I used in my Symbol and now in my Montana. I'm pretty sure your Duetto locker is the same size from memory. I carry the Safefill as my main supply and use a Camping Gaz 907 as back up which I have to keep in a seat box (with drop out) as it's not possible to fit the bottles in the locker together You won't find calor anywhere in Europe and to keep using Camping Gas is extortionate unless you have found a way of refilling a 907 safely yourself. If you intend to tour anywhere in Europe again I would get a refillable that will fit your locker. Hope that helps
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi  wave

biffobear wrote: I'm pretty sure your Duetto locker is the same size from memory.

I don't know about the Symbol but the Duetto gas locker fitted in the "90s" will only take two 3.9kg bottles and then only just because of the restricted height (i.e. under the wardrobe floor). That's why the Flogas bottle doesn't fit.

I don't know if the later version has a bigger locker. scratch head

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Camping gaz would be the size you want and should be readily available from spermarkets, Also the correct regulator. I'm sure a camp site could help.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 pm

brodco wrote:Hi  wave

biffobear wrote: I'm pretty sure your Duetto locker is the same size from memory.

I don't know about the Symbol but the Duetto gas locker fitted in the "90s" will only take two 3.9kg bottles and then only just because of the restricted height (i.e. under the wardrobe floor). That's why the Flogas bottle doesn't fit.

I don't know if the later version has a bigger locker. scratch head

Brod
The 3.9kg Calor are the absolute max as you say due to the height which imo was poorly thought out. I have seen some owners modify that by reducing the wardrobe and pushing the floor up which was how A/S should have built them really as shelving would be more useful than a wardrobe! However i haven't modified mine as i expect there could be 'issues' with insurance in the event of a fire......not that the 90s gas lockers would meet current legal standards anyway, but modifying is a big risk.

I was faced with similar issues to "Nickji" as neither Calor or Camping Gaz is available in the countries i tour. The gas in Poland is mega-cheap, £4 for a 3kg refill and three bottles fit easily in a Duetto locker. The regulator cost me £7. Best purchase i ever made as i'm always in Poland so it made sense.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Most if not all the A/S van conversions in the '90's had the same size gas locker and locker door being 415mm high. Calors 3.9 propane and 4.5 butane bottles are the same size and measure 340mm in height.The locker was able to take two such bottles.....just. The Safefill bottle measures 384mm  high so will fit, and 305mm diameter so you can fit one... again just, as you can see. A camping gas 907 can be carried as a back-up as it is more expensive than Myrrh and should only be used on pain of death or if you know someone who can refill a camping gas bottle.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 am

Just one more piece of info that might help the original post. That safefill bottle in the photo above is I’m pretty sure the same size, shape design as BP’s small exchange bottle and you can get them in Portugal. I hope that helps and you can have a cool beer in the future
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Back to top Go down