The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waste bin. Where to fit on a Symbol

+13
newterry
yvonneid
StanRVan
Dave D
Bartfarst
Sue68
Ramblers
Paulmold
Paul 300358
Heanorboy
PLOUGHLIN
Bev
Wroxham29
17 posters

Go down

Waste bin. Where to fit on a Symbol Empty Waste bin. Where to fit on a Symbol

Post by Wroxham29 Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi,I've just returned from a great trip. Small problem, where do i put a  waste bin or bag carrier?

Wroxham29

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Waste bin. Where to fit on a Symbol Empty Re: Waste bin. Where to fit on a Symbol

Post by Bev Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:12 pm

We had the same problem with our Duetto, which is almost the same as a Symbol. We use the box part of an old shredder. It is tall and narrow so fitted opposite fridge, against bathroom wall. When driving, we tucked it behind the rear nearside chair. 

Then I had the bright idea of making a hole in the bin near the top, inserting a large metal 'S' hook and hooking it to the lock on the rear door. Keeping it clear of the floor makes the area feel more spacious.

Incidentally, normal carrier bags fit as liners really well.
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

Back to top Go down

Waste bin. Where to fit on a Symbol Empty Re: Waste bin. Where to fit on a Symbol

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Bev wrote:We had the same problem with our Duetto, which is almost the same as a Symbol. We use the box part of an old shredder. It is tall and narrow so fitted opposite fridge, against bathroom wall. When driving, we tucked it behind the rear nearside chair. 

Then I had the bright idea of making a hole in the bin near the top, inserting a large metal 'S' hook and hooking it to the lock on the rear door. Keeping it clear of the floor makes the area feel more spacious.

DOn't they normally have holes in to stop children suffocating themselves? Messy if any wet items put in.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:06 pm

I just put a couple of hooks on the back door and we hang a bag from those

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:18 pm

We always have a bin bag hanging from the internal rear door handle.
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:We always have a bin bag hanging from the internal rear door handle.
That's what we did when we had the Symphony.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:13 pm

We adopt the same procedure as Heanorboy and Paul 300358, works very well for us.

Male

Member Age : 81
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 pm

I have a collapsable bin from Halfords hanging on the supports for the head rest
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 pm

We've always used a miniature swing top bin which takes carriers bags as liners. When in use it stands by the gas cupboard, being banished to the bathroom when in transit. At other times we use it in various positions by the kitchen as a 'stop' for the washroom door allowing various degrees of privacy/extra room for operations therein.

Works well for us!
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave D Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:00 am

Bev wrote:We had the same problem with our Duetto, which is almost the same as a Symbol. We use the box part of an old shredder. It is tall and narrow so fitted opposite fridge, against bathroom wall. When driving, we tucked it behind the rear nearside chair. 

Thanks, having the same problem on a symbol!
Dave D
Dave D

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm

We bought a small one from Spinney for our Symbol. Other caravan shops must have similar. It came with a fixing bracket which we've attached to the wall under the bit that lifts up under the wardrobe. The wall dips in a little just there, so the bin doesn't get in the way. It has a flip top lid, doesn't get in the way and is really handy being next to the kitchen. It just lifts off the fixing bracket when it needs a wash and we use small bin liners in it.
StanRVan

Female

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonneid Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:30 am

I have a small plastic waste bin Velcro'd to the wheel arch in the bathroom, but use that for spare toilet rolls etc.  For rubbish I hang a tie handle doggy bag to a Command cord bundler hook, which is affixed to the outside of the bathroom wall. That way I don't have a big bag of rubbish building up, just take it to the bin often. The type of hook saves it jumping off when I'm on the move. If I wasn't able to get rid of rubbish frequently then I would store it in my fiamma box.
yvonneid
yvonneid

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Hanging a nappy sack on the rear door lock works in my Harmony, needs regular disposal but smells nice too !

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 am

I saw some M/home waste bins at SW show last week £10 plastic with a flip up lid and a quick release wall/door mounting bracket. Wish had bought one now. Oh well back to the Becks Beer dozen  cardboard box on the floor. content
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 am

We have always used one of these on the rear door for either carrier bags with no holes in them or small swing airliners
Alf

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbit M Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 pm

We have a few plastic self adhesive hooks near back door from which to hang plastic bags. No room in Symbol to waste floor space or create a trip hazard near to the loo door

Rob Malyn
Robbit M
Robbit M

Male

Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave D Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 am

Just fitted an old shredder box to our symbol this weekend. Perfect. Thanks. allthumbz
Dave D
Dave D

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 am

Auto Sleeper should really fit a bin as standard on all vans. It's a universal requirement.
Personally I hang carrier bags off the cooker knobs on my old 2002 Symbol and now my 2017 Warwick. All the suggestion in this thread are better and I will try them out. The S hooks always come in handy as do the self adhesive plastic hooks, especially the 3M ones you can take off again.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down