The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kitchen Sink waste pipe - 2003 Symbol

+2
Dutto
Carver
6 posters

Go down

Kitchen Sink waste pipe - 2003 Symbol Empty Kitchen Sink waste pipe - 2003 Symbol

Post by Carver Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi

The water takes a long time to empty from our kitchen sink and occasionally bubbles come up in the process.  I have tried plunging etc, to no avail.
To remove the pipe is it simply a matter of removing the jubilee clip beneath the sink and a similar one where it connects to the tank ? Or are there any hidden obstacles...............

Thanks

Carver
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Kitchen Sink waste pipe - 2003 Symbol Empty Re: Kitchen Sink waste pipe - 2003 Symbol

Post by Dutto Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi there,

Bear in mind that it is a very small pipe that routes the water from the sink to the waste-tank which, as a result, will take a relatively long time to drain AND ii is liable to get clogged.

The two main "clogging" agents are "fat" and "hair".  For the future, it would be a wise move to ban BOTH of them from the sink as the combination is hard to shift.

However, before resorting to unscrewing jubilee clips and blowing down pipes I suggest that you:

o  Check that the waste-tank is actually empty.

o  Nip down to your local hardware store and purchase some drain cleaner similar to this ....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

o  Use the drain cleaner in accordance with the instructions.

o  Flush the system out with clean water, TWICE.

If that cures the problem then on all future uses introduce a small amount of Tesco's Cheapest Orange Cordial into the system after the waste-tank has been emptied.  (It stops smells.  Don't ask me how it works, it just does!  Something to do with enzymes!)

If it doesn't cure the problem then go to it with removing the jubilee clips and "Best of luck." wave

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Kitchen Sink waste pipe - 2003 Symbol Empty Re: Kitchen Sink waste pipe - 2003 Symbol

Post by Paul 300358 Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:23 pm

The waste tank must have  a vent hole which may be blocked as you are getting the bubbles (back pressure?). Try it with the waste emptying tap open.
Cheers
Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks to both of you.
I had thought of using some sort of drain cleaner, but keeping it in the pipe rather than it draining into the tank is my problem  confused3

I must admit that I hadn't thought of the tank breather.  I will have a look at that, although the wash room sink and shower tray seem to empty OK.

Thanks again.
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 am

I don't use drain cleaner, I do however get the garden hose and using a bit of ingenuity use the mains pressure to flush the pipe out. I have a bit of rubber that fits around the hose and into the sink hole, have to hold the plug down on the drainer at same time though! scratch head
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:21 am

Hi there,

DON'T DO THIS >>>>> 

Up in Scotland we bought a caravan to live in whilst we built our house and the sink-drain froze up with the first cold snap of winter.

There was only a small amount of water in the sink so I poured a load of salt into the drain and waited .... and waited .... and ....  lost patience as nothing moved.

Undeterred, I boiled up a kettle full of water (we had electricity and water so that wasn't a problem) and poured it into the sink and waited .... and waited .... and .... lost patience because now I had a sink full of boiling water and salt and still nothing was moving.

Undeterred, I searched around the van to find a suitable length of pipe so that I could apply a bit of pressure to the drain.  I discovered that the short length of pipe that connected the tools to the end of the vacuum cleaner was a perfect fit for the sink drain.

"Yes!" impatience in full flow and brain definitely asleep I applied the end of the pipe to the sink drain, got my lips attached to the other end and blew a lug-full of air down the pipe.

The pipe expanded enough to take the air but not enough to start the water flowing; so when I stopped blowing a jet of boiling water blasted up the pipe and I finished up with a pair of lips like Mick Jagger with make-up!

Happy Days!! allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:24 am

Oh Dutto,

What are you like, not funny at the time, but looking back can you laugh at it now?

We kept a plunger in our old caravan for that very reason and it worked every time, just put over the sink hole and pressed it up and down a few times. sink drained rapidly, still have one in the house now.

Last edited by daisy mae on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : about plunger.)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Its all beginning to sound a little dangerous  hugegrins

I tried plunging without success so I may try the hose trick (safely) or just give in and get the pipe off............

thanks for all of your ideas

Carver
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:11 pm

think_smiley_46 I think it was Ian (Dutto) that advised me to flush the pipes out  with either cheap colla or fizzy orange. Living 100yds from Lidle we tried his method  and don't seem to get problems with blocked drains or yuky smells. As suggested I would try the hose flush out before disconnecting pipes. Don't encourage later leaks, they never happen at the best time. tap_fingers
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:43 pm

This will probably sound a bit daft, you have not left the plugs in the shower try and wash basin have you? I tried ours today (Symbol) the water ran from the sink as fast as the tap could supply it.

Cheers
Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks Paul,
No, other plugs definitely removed.

Carver
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi
Just a quick follow up.
With nothing else working, I disconnected the waste pipe from the tank and plugged the end.  Then filled the pipe via the sink with hot water and a good amount of bio washing powder.  I left this for about 24 hours and then un-plugged the pipe.
There wasnt too much in the way of debris, but the flow is now back as it should be.
I assume a collection of fat etc must have been broken down by the bio powder.
A pretty easy and effective job in the end.
Thanks for all of your suggestions
Carver
Carver
Carver

Male

Back to top Go down