The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Consumption Figures Trident

+4
burlingtonboaby
stevomar
MikeB80
Granddad Ken
8 posters

Go down

Fuel Consumption Figures Trident Empty Fuel Consumption Figures Trident

Post by Granddad Ken Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi all, New member and without a van at present. After long deliberation on type of vehicle to buy I have decided that a T5 Trident would probably suit my needs the best.
However, there seems to be quite a selection of diesel engine sizes and hp variants available and I don't want to make the mistake of picking something that won't pull up the hills or is very thirsty. I would appreciate any advice and mpg figures that you guys and gals can come up with.

Cheers
Granddad Ken
Granddad Ken
Granddad Ken

Back to top Go down

Fuel Consumption Figures Trident Empty Re: Fuel Consumption Figures Trident

Post by MikeB80 Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:31 pm

would think most T5's are fitted with the 2.5tdi and would expect in the region of 40mpg but others here will advise you better, welcome to the forum by the way wellhappy mike
MikeB80
MikeB80

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Ken
My mate has a T5 VW California Camper (178 BHP with a 2.5 TDI engine) and he gets very high 3O mpg on a run. I get around 35 mpg on a run in my T4 2.5 TDI 88 BHP
Cheers
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Fuel Consumption Figures Trident Empty Thanks

Post by Granddad Ken Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for the info Stevo and Mike, it'll definatally help me decide which model I am going to try for. I was undecided between the Trooper (pop top) and the Trident due to getting under barriers etc, but decided that the solid roof was a little heavy for easy lifting (back problems) and I thought that the extra storage in the Trident would be better. Can I ask if you generally find the van large enough. I'm going to be new to this campervan experience so any logistical advice would be appreciated.
Granddad Ken
Granddad Ken

Back to top Go down

Fuel Consumption Figures Trident Empty Fuel consumption figuires Trident

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:49 am

Granddad Ken wrote:Thanks for the info Stevo and Mike, it'll definatally help me decide which model I am going to try for. I was undecided between the Trooper (pop top) and the Trident due to getting under barriers etc, but decided that the solid roof was a little heavy for easy lifting (back problems) and I thought that the extra storage in the Trident would be better. Can I ask if you generally find the van large enough. I'm going to be new to this campervan experience so any logistical advice would be appreciated.

Hi Granddad Ken
Not sure where you are, however there is a nice Trident at Springfield motorhomes Bridlington.
I had a T5 with a 1.9, 102bhp in a LWB Leisuredrive conversion, did well on long runs 36/38mpg, but under 30, locally. I think the members agree the 2.5 tdi is the better unit for the trident/Trooper van.

Good luck on your van hunt.

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by neldadog Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Well worth checking the BHP for the T5 trident if you are bothered about pulling up hills, I have an early T4 with around 85BHP and it is dreadful up hills - gets there eventually but very slowly. Doesn't bother me too much as I am always in lesuire mode when in the camper!

Stevo suggests the 2.5 TDI T5 will return you 178BHP, thats a fair bit of power to the drive shaft but I would presume that would explain the low mpg suggested.

I have pasted the other specs for the T5 below, dread to think what the 3.2 petrol engine would return in mpg ....

The 1.9TDI 101BHP would probably be better on the mpg, not sure it would return the power you want ....

Best thing to do would be to have a test drive ...
TDI

• 1.9 L [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] producing 62 kW (84 PS; 83 bhp) & 200 N·m (150 lb·ft) of torque.
  • 1.9 L four-cylinder TDI producing 75 kW (102 PS; 101 bhp) & 250 N·m (180 lb·ft) of torque.
  • 2.5 L five-cylinder TDI producing 96 kW (131 PS; 129 bhp) & 340 N·m (250 lb·ft) of torque.
  • 2.5 L [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] TDI producing 128 kW (174 PS; 172 bhp) & 400 N·m (300 lb·ft) of torque.

Petrol

• 2.0 L 4-cylinder producing 85 kW (116 PS; 114 bhp) & 170 N·m (130 lb·ft) of torque.
  • 3.2 L [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] producing 173 kW (235 PS; 232 bhp) & 315 N·m (232 lb·ft) of
neldadog
neldadog

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I thought I would chime in, although my van is a T4.

I get between 32 & 34 mpg with my 2.4 naturally aspirated diesel engine, no matter how I drive it.
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down

Post by neldadog Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I thought I would chime in, although my van is a T4.

I get between 32 & 34 mpg with my 2.4 naturally aspirated diesel engine, no matter how I drive it.

Funny you should say that ...

... I get about the same, I did a long trip to Brighton and back (350miles) last year in warm weather, took it easy - thought I would get good mpg - surprised to find it wasn't much better than urban driving!
neldadog
neldadog

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Granddad Ken wrote:Can I ask if you generally find the van large enough. I'm going to be new to this campervan experience so any logistical advice would be appreciated.

We have been onboard "Petal" continuously for the last four and a half months and offer only one piece of advice: viz "Be ruthless with clothing and kit before you leave and when you are on the move buy only enough food for the day as you will be passing supermarkets anyway."

In our case we consider the "essentials" to be as follows:

Clothing = "one set for best" for suit/dress etc, then, "one on, one in the drawer and one in the wash" for socks, underwear, shirts, pyjamas etc, then, "no more than the three pairs of your choice" for shoes, trainers, slippers, Crocs, wellies, sandals, flip-flops etc.

Personal Gear = Three bath towels. Two flannels. Ditty Bag (toothbrush, shaving gear, tweezers, nail clippers etc). First Aid Kit.

Main Kitchen Utensils = One small and one large saucepan with lids (essential to prevent splatter and to conserve gas), one frying pan, one casserole dish and one sieve. Three plastic chopping boards (red/brown/green for raw meat and fish, cooked meat and fish, vegetables). One chopping knife, one paring knife one sharpener. Tin opener and potato peeler. Gas lighter. Pair of Chopsticks (used for stirring and for lifting food - replaces all wooden spoons and tongs). One serving spoon and one ladle. Two mugs, two glasses, cutlery for four people (you may have guests!), six plates and four dishes (Correlware very tough and light) and two dish covers (to store unused food). Three tea towels and three hand towels. One table cover and one table mat.

Caravan Kit = One set of "levellers". One gas bottle spanner. Small toolkit. GPS. One 12v to 240v Inverter. One silver "screen cover" (used for insulation against both heat and cold). Two sleeping bags with washable inserts. Two pillows with pillow cases. One 700watt convection heater. Electric cable with variety of plugs for continent. Litter bin. One step. One 2m x 3m mat for the awning. One bucket and funnel (to fill and empty the tanks).

I think that about covers most of it. allthumbz allthumbz

At this point it helps to load up the van and take a trip to you local friendly weighbridge to see how much more you can load up with. If you haven't been ruthless then at this point you may consider purchasing a trailer!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Granddad Ken Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Gee, thanks Guys (I assume guys) for all the info and advice, I guess that the engine of choice for me will be the 2.5 TDI 130BHP. It should give me what I need. It may be worth checking if the VW Waranty permits Eco Deisel to try and cut fuel costs a bit. But however that pans out I think it's the right engine for me.
Granddad Ken
Granddad Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:36 pm

spook69 wrote:I thought I would chime in, although my van is a T4.

I'm very happy with the power and economy on my T4 2.5tdi.
I have a friend with a 2.5tdi T5 work van and a heavy foot. My van is slow in comparison and the T5 easily does over 40mpg.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down