The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveaway Awning for Symbol

5 posters

Go down

Driveaway Awning for Symbol Empty Driveaway Awning for Symbol

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:35 am

Hi all,

When we're on the road, we rarely stay in the same place for more than one night. But just occasionally, we pitch up for a few days at the same place.. In these instances it'd be nice to have a bit more space, so I'm thinking of getting a drive-away awning of some sort.

I've looked at a few online, and they all seem to show them hooked-up to VW T5 size campers.. The Symbol (2008) is quite a bit taller than a T5, so I want to be sure that I get the appropriate size..

Basically I'm looking for recommendations for an awning for my Symbol.. It already has the Fiamma awning thing fitted (at about 2.6 metres high ?), and if I wind it out a touch, I can see that it has a figure-of-8 channel for hooking up to a tent/awning.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks.

--
ForresGeek
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Driveaway Awning for Symbol Empty Re: Driveaway Awning for Symbol

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:50 pm

I've looked at drive-aways for our Symphony many times and never found the perfect one. The biggest problem to me is finding one where the 'tunnel' is wide enough for the sliding door to open without it ripping into it. You see many for sale on Ebay where there is 'a small rip in the tunnel caused by the sliding door'.
For this reason we've stuck to the utility tent (the one in my avatar photo) or a small dome tent for storage of chairs, water containers etc, depending upon the length of time away.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi,
I have thought about an awning but as I now mainly wild-camp or use aires I have abandoned the idea. As you already have a Fiamma awning, can't you get fill-in side panels that attach to the frame?
Also, there is the problem of storing a drive-away awning when travelling & there aint a lot of storage space in a Symbol.
Mike.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Driveaway Awning for Symbol Empty Driveaway awning for Symbol

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi ForresGeek.
Home at last eh!
We had a Outdoor revolution XL pro to fit my 59 Symbol, it was attached via a fiqure of 8 plastic moulding and a 3 mtr length of double edged beaded tape, the 3mm slids onto the Fiamma van awning and the 5 mm into the plastic moulding, then onto the canopy of the driveaway.
youtube has a video, showing how to erect one, but you may find your own way of erecting it.
The XP pro has a 3x3 mtr floor space and about 2mtrs high, it can be abit of a stuggle, erecting in the wind, however quiete strong withstanding the wind and rain, fitting extra corner straps and strong ground pegs is recommended.
You can attach 3 staps over the roof of the van, if you decide not to use the fiquire of 8 attachment.
Outdoor revolution are only one of the makers of driveaway awnings, i think Kampa do them aswell.
Plenty of online sales at the moment, I paid £299 in 2009,without the extras.
Forum members and Symbol owners will give you their suggestions and recommendations on drive away awnings.

All the best for 2012

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Like you, we do not stay in one place very long as a rule, except when we go to club meetings.
We have one similar to, but not exactly the same as this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It packs away quite small, so does not take up much room in the van, is reasonably light and easy to erect.
We don't bother attaching it to the van, but it has the facility, you can buy a connection kit to connect it to an awning rail on the van or there is one to connect it to the front of the Fiamma awning.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Boaby,

We haven't set off on our travels yet... Decided to have a quiet week at home.. We're heading south (to Yorks.) on Friday, and staying for a week.. Mentioned a trip to Filey to the Missus, and she's up for it... Is the campsite on Filey Brigg open all year ? (We were last there in late 2010).

Got van booked into local commercials garage for a look-see on the 9th Jan.

I'll have a look at the Outdoor Revolution..

Thanks for the tip.

--
ForresGeek

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi ForresGeek.
Home at last eh!
We had a Outdoor revolution XL pro to fit my 59 Symbol, it was attached via a fiqure of 8 plastic moulding and a 3 mtr length of double edged beaded tape, the 3mm slids onto the Fiamma van awning and the 5 mm into the plastic moulding, then onto the canopy of the driveaway.
youtube has a video, showing how to erect one, but you may find your own way of erecting it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Mike,

I admit storage space is at a premium, especially once the Missus has packed all of the gubbins she likes to bring along. Whistle1

I have a Khyam tent from my motorcycling days, so something that packs down to that kind of size (80cm x 20 x 20) might not be too bad to accommodate..

--
ForresGeek

mikemelson wrote:Hi,
I have thought about an awning but as I now mainly wild-camp or use aires I have abandoned the idea. As you already have a Fiamma awning, can't you get fill-in side panels that attach to the frame?
Also, there is the problem of storing a drive-away awning when travelling & there aint a lot of storage space in a Symbol.
Mike.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Driveaway Awning for Symbol Empty Driveaway awning for Symbol

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi ForresGeek

The North cliff site was still open last monday,(phone number for site 01723 513852) but the shop and cafe were closed, there was about 6 vans enjoying the site, I think the opening times are March to January.
We headed along the cliff in our wellies for some birding.
If your short of space in the Symbol, (like us) we purchased a Fiamma 200DJ bike rack for the twin rear doors, clamps on the rear opening door and holds a Fiamma carry box 320. carry weight 35 Kilos, holds any light weight driveaway awning and much more.
I will give you my mobile on the your PM section if you have time to see another grumpy old censored! , failing that, have a safe trip and hope all goes well for 2012.

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:17 am

Hi ForresGeek

When freedom camping for several days our 3.0m Fiamma awning is fully extended with a Fiamma side screen attached to the leading side. We also use a Rain Guard, Rafter and Tie Down just in case the wind gets up during the night. Attached to the awning sail track is a 30 second (to erect) Oztent

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

with the optional caravan connector to join to the awning, which produces a good increase in living area. The tent can also attach directly to the awning when it is not extended if space is limited.

Keith
ki
ki

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex-Symbol.
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down