The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveaway Awning Rail?

4 posters

Go down

Driveaway Awning Rail? Empty Driveaway Awning Rail?

Post by Orbin13 Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Hello

I have a Fiamma F35Pro roll out awning on out T4 Trident conversion. We just bought a drive away awning and I now notice that there is no channel in the F35 for attaching the skirt? SoI assume that I have to attach a channel / rail to the roof. It seems that I have a choice between a magnetic set up, a 'C' or 'P' rail or a rail to attach a figure of 8 strip to? Can any one recommend what they have found works well on this conversion with the high roof?

Any suggestions or experiences would be very welcome.

Many thanks allthumbz
Robin
Orbin13
Orbin13

Male

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Auto Sleeper T
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Driveaway Awning Rail? Empty Re: Driveaway Awning Rail?

Post by daisy mae Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:34 pm

On my Topaz I had a C  rail, then a Kador( a  strip of webbing with beading along both long edges ) one side went into the C rail and the figure of 8 strips went into the other side, then the awning went into the other side of the figure of 8 strip, when driving off but leaving awning on the site, just slide out the figure of 8 and I left the Kador on the van. you will need the little end stops in the C rail as I found out when the wind blew a sun canopy  along the rail and out the other end, , that was just a sun canopy not the  awning, I had both.

Hope this is of some help.
Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Are you sure there isno slot? The parts list appears to show 2 slots one for the awning fabric and presumably the other for a 8 shape joiner. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:07 pm

I don`t think the op was revering to a Fiamma awning, I certainly wasn`t, I thought he meant a drive away awning, like a tent with a canopy  that attaches to the van via a Kador and a figure of eight which in turn attaches to the van that has either a C rail or a J rail.

I stand to be corrected if this isn`t the case.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:27 am

Are you sure that the Fiamma awning does not have a 4mm Kador slot in it?  Odd.
On our F65 all you need is the 4mm to 6mm converter strip e.g Fiamma Driveaway Awning Kit about £20.
e.g.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Orbin13 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks all for your posts, they are helpful and I am glad I haven't made (another) rookie mistake / oversight.

Yes the F45 and F65 bot have Kador slots in but very frustratingly the 35pro doesn't (that will teach me for respecting my budget and going for the cheaper roll out awning!). I have noticed that the figure of 8 will fit onto the opened case of the F35 but this means that it is open to the elements (also I am not sure if this would be a great idea as it may bend the case).

So I am guessing that I would need to buy a rail for the figure of 8 or a slotted channel for the Kador strip and attach to the side of the van so I can use both as Margaret mentioned??

Cheers
Robin:allthumbz:
Orbin13
Orbin13

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:31 pm

The Kador will go into the rail and the figure of 8 into that, then the drive away awning will go into the figure of 8. the drive away awning canopy the bit that goes to your van will have a beading strip that is what goes into the figure of eight. I am trying to remember mine, I sold my new Kampa  drive away awning when I sold the Topaz. I still have the Kador and the figure of eight, was only used once on the drive just to try it out, it is the 3metres length, then realised as I go away on my own I couldn`t erect the awning, so gave up on that idea. I bought a length of C rail from on line, used the same screw holes that were already on the side at the top fixing the gutter on to the Topaz, that way I didn`t drill any more holes in the van.
Hope you get it sorted.
Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Orbin13 Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks a lot Margaret, I had the same idea of fixing the rail to the gutter and was wondering if I could simply use the existing holes or use a bonding agent to fix it below (I would prefer to use the screw holes).
Cheers
Robin
Orbin13
Orbin13

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:49 pm

There was an extra screw put in to secure te rail the end nearest to the cab a self tapper.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down