The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cash buyer...is it safe?

+17
NORGIL
burlingtonboaby
Askit
inspiredron
rich g
Betty's Mum
-mojo-
bikeralw
Bulletguy
Paulmold
Peel
daisy mae
peugeotboxer
paul.t
boxerman
mikejack
Momac
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cash buyer...is it safe? Empty Cash buyer...is it safe?

Post by Momac Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:14 pm

We have our Autosleeper Harmony (1996) for sale.  Tomorrow (Saturday) a chap is driving from Hertfordshire to Devon and bringing cash with him.  He may or may not buy the van, but seems to expect to be able to drive it away after paying us cash. It is a 3 hour drive and he is hiring a car specially apparently. What precautions can we take to make sure we are not conned out of our van?
Momac
Momac

Female

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Cash buyer...is it safe? Empty Re: Cash buyer...is it safe?

Post by mikejack Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:28 pm

The only drawback i can think of is forged notes if your local bank is open Saturday you could maybe go with the buyer to deposit the cash. When i sold my last van although it was only £2.5k the guy drove 4hrs from Scotland and paid in scottish money but i was ok. paying near 16k for my autosleeper i went on the train 3hrs with a bankers draft which i now know can be forged but the seller accepted it.

Mike
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:29 pm

I don't understand how you think you can be conned if he is paying cash? Forged money perhaps?
Please explain your concerns.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by paul.t Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Bank of England booklet: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
paul.t
paul.t

Male

Member Age : 110
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by Momac Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:04 pm

boxerman wrote:I don't understand how you think you can be conned if he is paying cash? Forged money perhaps?
Please explain your concerns.

Frank
Yes...forged money, I suppose.  The bank will be closed on Saturday afternoon so won't be able to pay in until Monday.  Also, I've just thought about tax....how does that work now?  Will he have to ring up from here in order to tax it before he can drive it? You can't carry tax over any more can you?
Momac
Momac

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Momac wrote:
Yes...forged money, I suppose.  The bank will be closed on Saturday afternoon so won't be able to pay in until Monday.  Also, I've just thought about tax....how does that work now?  Will he have to ring up from here in order to tax it before he can drive it? You can't carry tax over any more can you?

He won't be able to tax it without insurance, which unless he's a trader, he won't have. Now that you've mentioned it, I don't see how he could legally drive it home?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:41 pm

He will have to tax the vehicle before he can legally drive it from your premises.
It can be done on line or by phone (24hrs)

The B of E booklet is good.
Have you got any ultraviolet lights that you could use to check the security?
(maybe one of those flykillers)

There is also an app, but I don't know how good it is.
You do have a bit of time to try it.

Also Staples and WH Smiths sell the banknote security pens.

All the best.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:58 pm

When I bought my van, I arranged with the insurance beforehand, giving them the particulars of the van that I may buy, then I phoned them after I had seen the van and I was covered for 24 hours , to get it home and then did the insurance for the twelve months.
I paid some by cash, can only pay up to £9,000 anyway, then the rest by bankers draft. Private sale,

The second time I arranged with bank, then when at the dealers I rang the bank and they transferred the money to the dealers account.

There is a way around the tax, must be, get in touch with a garage and find out how they go on.
The dealer paid the tax ( I gave him the cash)  at the post office while I sat in the office.

Last edited by daisy mae on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : paid tax)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:06 pm

daisy mae wrote:
There is a way around the tax, must be, get in touch with a garage and find out how they go on.
That is the buyer's responsibility, not the sellers.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:19 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:
The B of E booklet is good.
PB
It would be better if the images of the notes matched the descriptive text smile!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:25 pm

There are two supposed threats here: forged banknotes and a follow-up visit to relieve you of the recently acquired cash. I'd imagine both are rare, the second may be apocryphal. Even so, I'd not be hugely comfortable with handling all that cash and there's really no need for it in the digital age. Even if neither of you have online bank accounts your banks should still be able to help you over the phone.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:43 pm

Doubtful he would pay in £5's but already there are forged versions of the new plastic fiver despite all the security built in. Because they are so new, not everyone has seen many if any and 'spotting a forgery will be hard.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Cash is reasonably safe though i understand your concern. What sort of amount is involved?

When i bought my van i viewed first taking just a small amount of cash to leave as deposit if i purchased. The van was exactly what i'd been looking for so we completed the deal and i left him £100 cash deposit. He then gave me his bank account number and the week i was due to collect the van i made a cash transfer to his account. That's by far the most secure and safe method, not to mention it saves the buyer carting a thick wad of notes around!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Why is he hiring a car? If coming alone, what's he going to do with the car. If bringing someone with him why can't they use his car. Don't let him test drive it on his own leaving the cash with you for security, that's when you find its forged.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Momac Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:02 pm

Thankyou everyone for all your help.  I have a Santander account, but they will be closed tomorrow afternoon.  I have just been to the Post Office (which is now housed in WH Smith here) and they will be open Sat pm and can take 10K in cash into my bank...so I will take the buyer with me and pay it in there and then.  He can then tax it there if he so wishes (apparently it's his responsibility).  He says he has to hire a car because his wife can only drive an automatic and she would have to drive home in it. (You would think they would have one really, wouldn't you?) After all this, I bet he doesn't buy it!!  He says he's seen 4 or 5 and the head gasket had 'gone' on them all.  Apparently, it's a known problem?  Not by us, it isn't!
Momac
Momac

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:23 pm

When I sold our last van the buyer came 200 miles up from Essex on the train. I met him in our car from the station and drove him the 12 miles to our house, so it was really a commitment on his part. After a test drive he handed over a big envelope of £50 notes all sealed with bank tape in blocks of a thousand, 14 of them! Even though sealed we still counted them all. The only worry I had was that neither me or my wife had seen a current £50 note before...
There were a few questions when I paid them into the building society the next day.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:17 pm

The story about the hire car may be true, but it's also a technique that some people use (I've had it done to me in slightly different circumstances) to make the seller feel obliged to do a deal. My take on it is that if they have to hire a car that is entirely their choice, and it is not a good reason why the seller should feel obliged to compromise on price.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Momac Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:48 pm

-mojo- wrote:The story about the hire car may be true, but it's also a technique that some people use (I've had it done to me in slightly different circumstances) to make the seller feel obliged to do a deal. My take on it is that if they have to hire a car that is entirely their choice, and it is not a good reason why the seller should feel obliged to compromise on price.
I don't think that's likely to happen.  We are in no hurry to sell, and they are the first to view....and my OH is Scottish!
Momac
Momac

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:54 pm

I would have thought if they were serious buyers travelling a long distance then they would haven the asking price with them to ensure they were not disappointed.  I certainly would not go to all that trouble and show up without enough cash.  Be strong!
Betty's Mum
Betty's Mum

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trophy

Back to top Go down

Post by rich g Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:01 pm

If he buys it ask him to do a bank transfer while at your house.
rich g
rich g

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 am

1. Did he buy it?
2 Did you get mugged later?

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:20 pm

bikeralw wrote:When I sold our last van the buyer came 200 miles up from Essex on the train. I met him in our car from the station and drove him the 12 miles to our house, so it was really a commitment on his part. After a test drive he handed over a big envelope of £50 notes all sealed with bank tape in blocks of a thousand, 14 of them! Even though sealed we still counted them all. The only worry I had was that neither me or my wife had seen a current £50 note before...
There were a few questions when I paid them into the building society the next day.
Al.

I'm not surprised.

Ever tried asking for a few grands worth of cash from a Bank in 50's? You are lucky if they have more than £500 quids worth and the rest will be in 20's!! 21st century and UK still doesn't have a £100 note. How backward is that?!!!   scratch head
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:38 am

Bulletguy wrote:21st century and UK still doesn't have a £100 note. How backward is that?!!!   scratch head

I'm led to believe (by the BBC in a recent article on their website) that the quantity of high denomination notes is deliberately restricted, because the main uses of them are illegal - either for money laundering or for transporting money between countries. One of the biggest problems today (apparently) for criminals is converting traceable cash into non-traceable cash which "proceeds of crime" actions can't take off them.

IIRC someone did a study of the largest denomination Euro note recently and found that there was almost no honest reason for anyone having them in any quantity larger than single notes, and I ~think~ they are debating whether to withdraw them as a result.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:30 am

I was once given a 1000 dong note as a tip. I'll let you look that up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 am

Bulletguy wrote:
bikeralw wrote:When I sold our last van the buyer came 200 miles up from Essex on the train. I met him in our car from the station and drove him the 12 miles to our house, so it was really a commitment on his part. After a test drive he handed over a big envelope of £50 notes all sealed with bank tape in blocks of a thousand, 14 of them! Even though sealed we still counted them all. The only worry I had was that neither me or my wife had seen a current £50 note before...
Al.

I'm not surprised.

Ever tried asking for a few grands worth of cash from a Bank in 50's? You are lucky if they have more than £500 quids worth and the rest will be in 20's!! 21st century and UK still doesn't have a £100 note. How backward is that?!!!   scratch head

I've often thought about that because twenty years ago £20 notes were just as commonplace as today, yet now because of inflation a £50 note only has the buying power of a £20 in 1996, so really should be used far more than it is.

Anyway, I'm also wondering if the deal went ahead.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next